shape
carat
color
clarity

Picky Picky

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Cannot eat a hard boiled egg or even pieces of it such as you find in tuna salad. I cannot eat a runny egg, like eggs benedict or sunnyside up.

I don''t eat anything that has transfats in it.
I would never eat gefilte fish, ever.
No hamburger.

My husband is Japanese American and I can eat most anything from that culture, including things that challenge some Japanese people, like natto. But I do not eat ikura (large orange fish eggs) or sea urchin. Oh yeah, from Chinese culture, sea cucumber, forget about it.

One of the first dinners at my parents-in-law''s home they served a salad with tiny baby fish on it. These fish were whole, about 1/2 inch long,opaque, pure white, with black eyes. They were newly born little fish, not unlike worms. Pretty much no caucasian person would touch this thing, but I ate it. It wasn''t bad actually. I do not know to this day if it was a test or if they were clueless that this was possibly the grossest looking salad on the face of the planet.

But if those fish had been chopped hard boiled egg I would have fled. Could not eat that. I cannot even LOOK at that.

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 10:02:55 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Foie gras -- just the idea of it makes me a bit ill.

Mayonnaise. I would starve to death before I would touch it.

And anything that I don''t have to chew to eat is not gonna make it down. My gag reflex kicks in in a big big way. (The ONLY exception to this is CHOCOLATE pudding. Apparently my love of chocolate is stronger than my gag reflex LOL.)
OMG I HATE mayo too. Even if something (like a knife) that has previously touched mayo touches my sandwich, I won''t be able to eat it. Sometimes, I can even psych myself out, and think that I see mayo on something, and no matter how many times the waiter will say ''no there is not any mayo on it'', once I''ve ''thought'' that mayo was on it, I can''t stomach it.

I also don''t like nuts in food (on their own they are okay) or raisins cooked in food.

Sour cream? Gross. Cottage cheese, cream cheese, can''t do it.

But mayo, nothing worse than mayo.
14.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
HATE MAYO and FOIE GRAS as well.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m not a big seafood fan. I grew up in ohio where it''s never fresh which I think has something to do with it. I don''t like sushi but I do like grilled salmon and when I was pregnant with my first child I craved shrimp all the time. other than that I''m not really a picky eater. I love to try new foods as long as I know what it is i''m eating but won''t even try foie gras..

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also have to know what I am eating. My kids were fed alligator ribs at the Four Seasons in Palm Beach when they ran out of beef ribs and did not tell us. I thought I was going to throw up, I am sure it is a staple there but it truly grossed me out. Thank god my son has a sense of humor!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are a lot of Afgan run kabob houses around here I''ve noticed... and the kabobs are different that persian kabob. I know that Negeen is good, as I''ve eaten there, they use citic acid their chicken marinates though so it doesn''t agree with my mom at all. DF''s never been there and he loved persian (likes it more than I do, truth to tell) ... we usually go to the place here in Fremont, used to be called Alborz, bow its called Bijan... they totally over cook-- incinerate-- your kabob if don''t make sure to tell them that you want it ''juicy''... but its close and good, as long as you remember to order it uncreamated. The place right near little italy in SF is good Maykadeh I think its called... if you eat organ meat (which I think you mentioned you don''t) they have the best BBQ''d brain there... marinated in saffron and lemon juice much like the Negeen chicken. There is another in SJ... used to be called Yas I believe that is supposed to be as good, if not better, than Negeen, but I haven''t eaten there. The only ones in the Penninsula I''ve eaten at were too long ago, when we lived in San Mateo which was ... 14 years ago now. So I don''t recall the quality. I know of some good persian grocerys out that way though, although there is a decent little one right next to Negeen too.

We do entire meals out of Feta, whole wheat pita or lavash, mint, persian (thai works too) basil, green or regular onions. That is actually best with either cucumber slices (persian or english cucumbers not those waxy things in safeway) or watermelon. YUM.

Do you drink Doogh? Yogurt drink? DF loves that... and I like it with Kabab, but don''t drink it as often as he does.

We should definitely meet for Persian. I can do Lunch or dinner on the weekend, or dinner during the week. Choice is yours... and if any other PSers want to try Persian food... I think it would be a blast!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beacon. LMAO. Honestly, that sounds like the grossest salad ever. If it looks like dead whole pet on my plate... I''m not eating it.

Diamond Fan. I would eat alligator. But I would be LIVID if someone fed me anything, including alligator, without full disclosure. LIVID.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, that is why I was furious. My son was only 10 at the time, and while he is a decent eater alligator is not something he would ever touch. When he noticed the ribs tasted weird my sitter called the front desk and was told that they had substituted this instead. I dealt with it later and was so peeved, I demanded that at the very least a phone call stating the beef ribs were not available and here were the options...how could they simply send alligator and NOT SAY ANYTHING? Amazing to me, and not a happy thing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 12:55:56 AM
Author: diamondfan
Gypsy, that is why I was furious. My son was only 10 at the time, and while he is a decent eater alligator is not something he would ever touch. When he noticed the ribs tasted weird my sitter called the front desk and was told that they had substituted this instead. I dealt with it later and was so peeved, I demanded that at the very least a phone call stating the beef ribs were not available and here were the options...how could they simply send alligator and NOT SAY ANYTHING? Amazing to me, and not a happy thing.

Oh yeah. That's just incomprehesible. Even if it was a pork for beef substitution (Alligator?????) I would expect to be informed. I mean... really, what if a person has religious or dietary restictions? That's just horrible. I would have given the manager of the hotel and earful and expected, at the least, an apology. Unacceptable.

ETA: Just had a horrible vision of being in france and having them substitute horse for beef. I would be ill for days. I just flat out don't believe in eating companion animals.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
DF this is so gross I could die. I would get nightmares if alligator was foisted upon me w/o knowing. In fact, it might make me paranoid about all the food I was getting in future restaurants. Like.....ok, what is this.... really?

Maybe in Florida this is normal food? Heavens. I have never eaten a reptile and I don''t much fancy the idea. I am glad your son didn''t mind it. It may have given him bragging rights to his kid friends!

In any case it''s dreadful service. Any changes or substitutions to the menu should be disclosed upon ordering. I hope the FS made it up to you.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, sadly, that was just one thing that went wrong, out of many. We had a suite that was thousands a night and we had it for 10 days. Bugs in the room, weird smell, (and the hotel was fully booked as were most in the area due to Spring Break) room service that never came, tubs and tv''s that did not work, you name it it happened. I really think the alligator sent me over the edge. I was so angry the manager sent us a letter and gave us 1/2 price on the suite each night for entire 10 days...I did not expect it but it was pretty amazing. Hubby looked at me and was like, you should negotiate for me in business!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Question for those who hate mayo: can you eat deviled eggs? that''s one of my favorite foods and i''d be seriously upset if i couldn''t eat it!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 5:34:23 AM
Author: ForteKitty
Question for those who hate mayo: can you eat deviled eggs? that's one of my favorite foods and i'd be seriously upset if i couldn't eat it!
Yeah, and not only that, but potato salad, tuna salad, crab salad, dips, a turkey sammich the day after Thanksgiving...I think I'd die without mayo.
9.gif

df, about the alligator, what if your son had been allergic to it? BAD practice to serve without disclosing.

Skippy and Mara, thanks for the truffle info. Maybe I'll try the oil.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know, my son was totally lucky because he did have lots of serious allergies. Alligator not being one we had tested for, of course...but he had very severe allergy issues.

I dislike gobs of mayo. I like a tiny bit on my bread for a BLT, and I do not mind a bit mixed in things like tuna or egg salad or deviled eggs...I just do not like things swimming in it. I even take melted butter and seasoned salt and add a bit of mayo as a dip for artichokes. I think just tons of mayo alone, not mixed with anything, is what makes me ill.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Oh man, one of my favorite snacks is to dip a banana in a jar of mayo. I guess it''s the sweet and salty combo.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 7:50:57 AM
I know, my son was totally lucky because he did have lots of serious allergies. Alligator not being one we had tested for, of course...but he had very severe allergy issues.

I dislike gobs of mayo. I like a tiny bit on my bread for a BLT, and I do not mind a bit mixed in things like tuna or egg salad or deviled eggs...I just do not like things swimming in it. I even take melted butter and seasoned salt and add a bit of mayo as a dip for artichokes. I think just tons of mayo alone, not mixed with anything, is what makes me ill.
Well no, I wouldn''t like tons of it either, but I can''t imagine life without it.
6.gif

julia, you just made my tummy turn. LOL! That''s, very different...
9.gif
2.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 8:19:17 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 3/4/2007 7:50:57 AM

Well no, I wouldn''t like tons of it either, but I can''t imagine life without it.
6.gif

julia, you just made my tummy turn. LOL! That''s, very different...
9.gif
2.gif
heh heh, yea, I think maybe it''s a southern thing? All I know is that my mother does the same thing.
On that note, my mother, etc all love apple butter. I think it''s disgusting!!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 8:23:28 AM
Author: justjulia
heh heh, yea, I think maybe it''s a southern thing? All I know is that my mother does the same thing.
On that note, my mother, etc all love apple butter. I think it''s disgusting!!!!
I love apple butter too.
9.gif

I shouldn''t talk, when I was little, I can remember getting up from a nap, going to the kitchen, and eating fingerfulls of soft butter.
40.gif

Thankfully I grew out of it. lol

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love fruit butters. I also love jams and preserves but no jelly. I like pieces of fruit in my things, but the butters have more texture to it so I like it. I also used to eat butter too!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 8:59:16 AM
I also used to eat butter too!
HA!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Gator is served down here in some of the fancier seafood restaraunts. You can find gator jerky at most of the touristy shops. So yeah, I guess it is a FL thing.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

ewww, I was thinking of the globs of butter and thinking gross and then I remembered the gross stuff I did.

I actually liked to eat raw ground beef and raw steak when I was a kid. Eww; I can''t even imagine now!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy, I used to eat raw burger with capers...steak tartar! I LOVED it. Now of course it can make you sick so no more for me, and since my first son really raw meat skeeves me out!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, just read the update. I''m glad they took measures to compensate you for their failures. We''ve had a few problems at hotels but most are so good about making sure they do what they can.

The only one we really had a problem with, and that was only initially, was the hotel we booked at the last minute in NY for the Bar. It was a raddison, a chain I''d never stayed at, and it was horrid. But all the hotels were booked to the gills because of the Bar, and it was a nightmare to get anything at a decent rat-- the raddison had jackhammers on the roof, and we were on the top floor, plus room was not the delux we had booked and was a walk in closet with the onlyu window in the room blocked by an large chest. Initially they refused to do anything about it... FLAT OUT.... but after DF talked to the regional manager though... they transfered our room and gave us a reduced rate because the new room, while bigger was actually CLOSER to the jack hammer.
38.gif
A month later vouchers arrived in the mail for 2 free nights. We just gave them away. Never staying at another either.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not a big mayo fan but use it with canned tuna. Can''t have too much though or it freaks me out. Same thing with butter. Has to be melted - I can''t see it. I do love deviled eggs though.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2007 12:44:04 PM
Author: AmberWaves
The smell of melting butter makes me gag.

I am a total food freak.
23.gif
HI:

Me too. I bake with butter but the thought of it on bread.....yikes
Same with ice cream, whipped cream, apple pie, strawberry shortcake, ground beef, pasta (includes mac and cheese), gravy, perogies, minestrone (sp), and cooked carrots and peas. Yikes, yikes, yikes.

cheers--Sharon

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 8:07:50 AM
Author: justjulia
Oh man, one of my favorite snacks is to dip a banana in a jar of mayo. I guess it's the sweet and salty combo.
OMG Julia I am so not a mayo person and I cannot even imagine someone putting it on a banana of all things!
6.gif
You southerners eat some pretty strange stuff, but we like you anyway!!!
9.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I too really dislike mayonnaise. If it is mixed in with something I will eat it, assuming it is not to mayonnaisey. I HATE mustard. Also, the taste of straight vodka makes me sick, sick, sick.

I must admit alligator, prepared well, is quite tasty.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
MILK.
14.gif
i could throw up just SMELLING it!! yeck!
don''t like yogurt and i sometimes can''t get ice cream down. Vanilla ice cream i CAN''T do. gag me.

i don''t do coconut. or pinapple. or cantalope. yuck yuck and yuck.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I don''t like vanilla ice cream either. Must be covered in hot fudge for me to eat it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results