shape
carat
color
clarity

Picky Picky

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m up for trying different types of food from different regions of this country or others, but as adventurous as I think I could be, I REALLY don''t understand organs! If the thought of raw meat (ground or otherwise) grosses me out, I can''t imagine eating organs. Kudos to those who can! I can''t even pull the bag of stuff out of a turkey. Mind you, I have no idea how to cook a turkey but I just about threw a fit when my mom asked me to take out the bag so she could begin preparing the turkey for Thanksgiving.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t stand green peppers, and it''s irritating. SO many recipes call for them, and they add color, but to me they''re bitter. Even if you get all the white stuff off inside, they''re still gross. I''ve given up.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay, this is bad. I live in New Mexico and I hate GREEN chile. I like red, but I will not eat Green chile. It smells so good but makes me so sick. People always give me a hard time about that!!!

I am a picky eater, but my husband has introduced me to so many foods. My parents are always amazed that I like more and more new things.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen I am with you! Raw green pepper is okay but not great, and cooked is bitter. I will only eat red orange yellow or purple. My mom used to make stuffed green peppers when I was young and I would eat the inside and leave the pepper!

I also cannot stand shredded beef. I love Mexican food but really only like it with steak strips, chicken or ground beef. Shredded beef seems stringy and accidental to me, not the way it should be but oops, the meat got all shreddy...

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Cannot eat... gag, cough!! brussel sprouts... gagging again!!!

I cannot eat them in a can
I cannot eat them in a van

I cannot eat them in a dream
I cannot eat them in anything

I cannot eat brussel sprouts
Of that fact, there is no doubt

Ewwww.. YUK!!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Suzy, you are a poet but did you know it?!

I tend not to love them either, but had some baby ones, sauteed with EVOO and some vinegar and a bit of pancetta and they were not bad. Now, I mostly love all veggies, but I would say b sprouts are near the bottom of my list...I also love all fruits, and while I love fresh strawberries and strawberry ice cream, or short cake, I hate strawberry candies for some reason.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 1:15:17 AM
Author: diamondfan
Suzy, you are a poet but did you know it?!

I tend not to love them either, but had some baby ones, sauteed with EVOO and some vinegar and a bit of pancetta and they were not bad. Now, I mostly love all veggies, but I would say b sprouts are near the bottom of my list...I also love all fruits, and while I love fresh strawberries and strawberry ice cream, or short cake, I hate strawberry candies for some reason.
OK, I''ll bite, what''s EVOO????
I LOVE pancetta, so I guess if you wrapped a brussel sprout in pancetta, I would..... yukk.... no, not EVEN!!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
shorthand for extra virgin olive oil!

Again, these were baby sprouts (sproutlings?) and the flavor and texture was great. I used to think b sprouts were midget heads of lettuce and they were tough and smushy at the same time. I used to try to flick them to the dog and even he would not touch them!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
OK, maybe if they were quartered and smothered in pancetta, sauteed in Extra Virgin Olive Oil.... I could maybe gag one down!

But pahleeezze don't cook them in my house... they smell disgusting!!

I'll try them in a restaurant... maybe!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know, some of my food issues have more to do with the smell than the actual taste but it sticks with me and I cannot get it out of my mind.

Also, when I was pregnant I had many food aversions and it is hard for me, to this day, to eat some of the foods! And they were things I liked and ate a lot of before!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, smell is everything for me too!
Ever been disappointed by a great smelling pot of coffee or pot of popcorn?
Just to taste it and think... Eewwww!!!! This NO WAY tastes as good as it SMELLS!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 1:08:00 AM
Author: SuzyQZ
Cannot eat... gag, cough!! brussel sprouts... gagging again!!!

I cannot eat them in a can
I cannot eat them in a van

I cannot eat them in a dream
I cannot eat them in anything

I cannot eat brussel sprouts
Of that fact, there is no doubt

Ewwww.. YUK!!!!
Dr. Suess would be proud!
36.gif
9.gif

I was made to eat these as a kid. My mom steamed them, that''s it.
40.gif
I haven''t tried them since I left home, so I don''t know if I still hate them or not, lol.

Add okra, GAG. Hairy on the outside and slimey on the inside. Barf.

df, I can''t even eat green peppers raw, I''ve tried. I don''t even like how they smell. It''s hopeless.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 5:58:31 PM
Author: Ellen
I can't stand green peppers, and it's irritating. SO many recipes call for them, and they add color, but to me they're bitter. Even if you get all the white stuff off inside, they're still gross. I've given up.

I feel the exact same way as you and I don't like red peppers. No peppers please!
9.gif

I don't like brussel sprouts and asparagus either. I love broccoli!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 10:41:51 AM
Author: Skippy123

I feel the exact same way as you and I don''t like red peppers. No peppers please!
9.gif

I don''t like brussel sprouts and asparagus either. I love broccoli!
I have grown to love asparagus, but it took me about 45 years. So, there''s hope!
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen my dear! You are too cute!
Hey, I do like asparagus from super fancy restaurants. I liked it when it had garlic and white truffle sauce. I guess it is better for me not to like it because it would start costing me too much money to make it that way! heeheee.

I also don''t like organ meats, ewwww.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skppy, the Barefoot Contessa has a super easy and delicious recipe for roasted asparagus with olive oil drizzled on it, a bit of lemon and kosher salt and then shredded parm sprinkled on top...it is so easy and delicious...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy, I''ve never had anything truffley (is that a word? lol). What''s it taste like?

And df, I make mine kinda like that. I steam it (but want to try roasting it), drain very well, toss with a bit of butter and evoo, salt and pepper. I put the Parmesan out, my kids like it, but I find I don''t even need it. Really good.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beets!!! Can''t stand them. My Mom forced them down my throat when I was little, and hated them ever since. Can''t even look at them!!!
32.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey gypsy i wanted to ask you something about rice...since you are persian ... hehee.

we love getting persian kebabs with basmati rice at various places around the bayarea. i always get the chicken breast and the rice and tomato dish and i always thought it was really healthy but a neighbor of ours is persian and he was saying that they put a ton of butter in the basmati rice when they make it. is this typically true? i'm half persian but i wasn't raised in the culture so i have no idea!! hehe. since you mentioned rice and all that i thought you might know. and if there is butter in it, how much and if you ask them to make it without it at a restaurant would they look at me like i had 4 heads? hehe.

random question....but if you have any insight, please share!! i love my persian chicken and rice dishes but hate the thought of scary amounts of unknown butter lurking in there.
5.gif

oh and foods i don't like..hmm. beets for sure. they stain and they are a weird texture. also brussel sprouts are totally not my favorite. i like them shredded salad style but in their natural round state, yak. mental block. also creamed spinach, while it is yummy when done right, the texture and consistency is just nasty!!! i feel like i am 80 with no teeth when i eat it. i used to hate spinach and tomatoes when i was young and now i love them both, go figure! oh and the one other thing i really don't like, leftover from a mental childhood block, lentil beans!! they are so tiny and suspicious and the color green/brown? what's up with that?!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love yellow and red roasted beets with pine nuts and goat cheese...yum.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tomatoes....
emotion-41.gif
disgusting, all varieties.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Wow... this board must have the skinniest people because everyone has so many dislikes!

I will try everything once, and honestly cannot think of something that I refuse to eat. (except sharkfin, but that''s more of a moral issue than a picky eater issue.) And of course, I''m refering to regular food/food products that I can buy at markets here, not *exotic* stuff. I will refuse to eat cats, dogs, or parrots, etc... eek!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 1:10:23 PM
Author: Ellen
Skippy, I''ve never had anything truffley (is that a word? lol). What''s it taste like?

And df, I make mine kinda like that. I steam it (but want to try roasting it), drain very well, toss with a bit of butter and evoo, salt and pepper. I put the Parmesan out, my kids like it, but I find I don''t even need it. Really good.

Truffles are a fungus (like underground mushrooms) they are pretty pricey and I think they grow in France. They taste salty to me. I was in Paris the first time I had them and that was the first time I knew what they were!!!!

I think I will try both DiamondFans and Ellen''s Recipe. Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
truffles are the best!! you can get truffle oil at the market and sprinkle on things like mac and cheese or in sauces etc. it just adds a bit of a more ''rich'' flavor...to me it''s a bit more buttery kind of rich. truffles are typically pretty pricey so the oil is like $15 for a tiny tiny bottle. but you use it very sparingly. i love it with homemade mac and cheese and have had it in amazing sauces with things like scallops/seafood and veggies which is typically light enough to really ''showcase'' the truffle.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Mara, regarding the rice - are you speaking about when they make the rice itself - because it has little to no fat before prepared? Maybe some places prepare it in lots of butter. I eat basmati rice all the time. I buy the something like 20lb bag from the Costco. It has such flavor that I don''t add much butter at all.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I have never liked liver and onions....yuck to me and yum to others...I thought my taste buds might change over time but not!

Also, I am finding that I am liking meat less than I used to as I get older. I have always been quite a carnivore, but not so much in the past year or so.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes F&I...during rice prep, my neighbor was saying they use a ton of the butter in the preparation. but i asked my local restaurant where we go and they said they just use a tiny bit aka hardly any. so just wondered if anyone knew what the 'typical' kind of prep was.. i know restaurants like to use a ton of butter and oil regardless but the rice comes out so fluffy yet does not taste like 'butter'. so ... hard to tell.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I hate green peas - will pick them out of fried rice and risotto or anything other dish.
I hate carrots and celery - will only eat them if they are really soft and in soup or stew when they lose all their flavor, otherwise I pick them out.
I hate parsley, but like cilantro.
I dislike hard boiled eggs and egg yolks - only like egg yolks when dipping toasts in them for breakfast.
I hate pickles - it''s the yuckiest thing in the world.
I hate liver, but eat foie gras.

That''s all I can think of right now, but I am very picky since I was little. Good thing my mom never forced me to eat those things.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 1:53:11 PM
Author: Mara
hey gypsy i wanted to ask you something about rice...since you are persian ... hehee.

we love getting persian kebabs with basmati rice at various places around the bayarea. i always get the chicken breast and the rice and tomato dish and i always thought it was really healthy but a neighbor of ours is persian and he was saying that they put a ton of butter in the basmati rice when they make it. is this typically true? i'm half persian but i wasn't raised in the culture so i have no idea!! hehe. since you mentioned rice and all that i thought you might know. and if there is butter in it, how much and if you ask them to make it without it at a restaurant would they look at me like i had 4 heads? hehe.

random question....but if you have any insight, please share!! i love my persian chicken and rice dishes but hate the thought of scary amounts of unknown butter lurking in there.
5.gif

oh and the one other thing i really don't like, leftover from a mental childhood block, lentil beans!! they are so tiny and suspicious and the color green/brown? what's up with that?!

My cat is cuddling mr right now so it's hard to type.

First off... You're half persian!?!

I had (lost touch) in Law School that reminds me of you, come to think of it. She's half persian too, her dad is, and like you she wasn't raised in the culture.

But we should definitely meet for Persian Food in San Jose one day!

Butter in rice. Yes. The style of rice that is made for Kabob... the chelo is usually made with butter. Sometimes its a small amount for flavor mixed with another oil like Canola ... other times is a large amount for flavor and its the exclusive oil in there... and if you are at an 'old time authentic' place (which you get VERY RARELY and only at like one place in LA from what I've seen) you get something WORSE than butter. We won't go there.
9.gif

Normally though, its best to ask. Negeen (spelling?) in Campbell is one of the better Kabob houses in the Bay area... btw and their grilled conish hen kabob is to die for. I've had the rice (If I eat rice, which I really normally don't, I do it with Kabob-- but even there I prefer Lavash) and it wasn't very oily or butter heavy at all... I think they only use it for flavor, fortunately.

99% of the time though I get my kabob with the Lavash bread. At home I eat whole wheat bread almost exclusively... but rice or bread at persian food is an indulgence.

Ground beef kabob is actually the worst, because to be tasty it has to be high fat.. 15-20%. My mother who cooks almost exclusively 4% fat gournd beef, has even surrendered to this reality. My mother, incidentallly makes the BEST (and healthiest) kabob.

BTW.. my favorite kabob is ground chicken kabob. YUM. Negeen's wasn't good though. Darya in LA has AWESOME ground chicken kabob however.

Gotta run for my nail appointment though... will write more later if you have more questions however.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha i thought i had told you i was half persian... too funny! anyway it's ironic that you mention negeen, i LOVE that place!! i have been going there for over 10 years...it used to be named something else, the name only changed like 2 years ago, and has had like 5 owners since i started going. a very old ex was armenian and that is how i got introduced to it, him and his friends/family used to always go there.

but luckily i don't think they have changed the famous jujeh chicken breast kebab recipe over the years, because it's just as good as when we first went there. sometimes it's def better than others though. and i LOVE their rice. that is the place i am thinking about when i say that it's so light and fluffy but doesn't taste oily or buttery. and that is who i asked about how they prep their rice. we have tried a few other places, one over near like sunnyvale and santa clara border on el camino which a greek friend used to like to go to...but honestly negeen is my favorite! i only get the same thing there all the time, and i also love the mint leaves with feta on lavash appetizer they have, sooooo good. way back when they never used to have that on the menu, it was like a special appetizer they'd make for you if they liked you, then for a while it was gone entirely and i was so sad. i used to go to persian markets, get the slab of fresh feta out of the watery container, get the mint and lavash and make it at home myself! def a favorite.

we should def meet one day for lunch or dinner or something there...i haven't had it in a while (partially because i was thinking about the butter!!) but i have been daydreaming about it lately. my gym is in campbell too so i often think about getting it for us as takeout but usually am too lazy, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results