shape
carat
color
clarity

Picking out an engagement ring stone, was told to come here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to be just one more person to suggest buying online. I was very skeptical at first, and so was my fiance. Now, we'd probably never go any other way. If you go into stores and look at different colors and clarites in IDEAL CUT stones, you may find that your preferences change. Cut is EVERYTHING! And buying online is truly a cinch once you know what your preferences are. I always tell people to check out Hearts on Fire diamonds. Not to buy them, unless budget isn't an issue. But to get a feel for a really great cut that outsparkles most other rocks. If you like what you see, then going with an AGS0 hearts and arrows diamond that you find online can get you the same look for less money. Whiteflash has "A Cut Above" which are their branded hearts and arrows diamonds. They are SPECTACULAR, and each one is cut to such tight parameters that you don't need to see it in person because they all perform the exact same way. There are other vendors that sell a lot of awesome H&A stones too. GoodOldGold and James Allen are others that I'd highly recommend. The vendors also have a huge following here and are very well trusted for giving accurate descriptions of the stones, and whether or not they are eye-clean. And, they have return policies in case of the rare event you are not satisfied.

Good luck and hope this helped!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that you''re shopping with your girlfriend! If your girlfriend is at all into sparkly things, make sure that she really likes it and doesn''t get caught up in everything. I got so caught up in shopping for the ring, the colour, and the clarity, that I forgot about cut or anything else really. Years later and I''ve never really been happy with my engagement since the inital "ohhh, it''s sparkles" wore off.

Nid

Rough_Rock

We picked the ring out today. It was spendy but it won''t put me into debt for the rest of my life, and more importantly she got exactly what she wanted.

We wound up going with the GIA certified color E SI-2 0.56ct and put it into a 3 stone white gold setting with similar grade 0.14ct side diamonds. Yes, I probably could have gotten it slightly cheaper online but the store was very, very nice and I had a good feeling in there. The important thing is we''re happy with the choice. You know you picked the right one when the jeweler unwraps it and she goes
23.gif

She managed to get a glimpse of the total even though I tried to hide it from her and now she says I went way over the call of duty but damn it, she deserves it.

Bachelor party will come much later after we move out ;-)

My cousin is actually driving from 3 hours away as soon as he heard the news so we can go out and PARTY tonight!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on finding your ring! So nice that she got to have some input and got what she wanted. Dont party to hard (read the thread about
the couple that lost - and found - their engagment ring while out partying...very scary!)

Congrats!
36.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 8:31:15 PM
Author: Nid
I just found the GIA number on the paper I got from the store, the stone is #17333326.

This should be the link to the report.

http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=17333326&weight=0.56

Nid - I have no problem with shopping at brick and mortars if you prefer that. However, by the standards usually applied on this message board, that particular diamond is not recommended. If you haven't noticed, people here are pretty crazy about diamonds being well cut and well proportioned, which maximizes the light return. Using the HCA tool, you usually want something with dimensions that score less than 2 or 2.5 That particular diamond scores 5.4, and you could do better. Another rough rule is to find GIA-graded stones with cut rated as "excellent" or AGS-graded stones with cut rated "AGS 0". However, usually you should try to satisfy both criteria (excellent cut and HCA < 2).

In sum, if you still have the option to keep looking (even at the same store, if you want), then I suggest you do so. As you have seen, the people here can give you great input if you just ask for it. However, if you can't return it, then I am glad you were impressed with it in the store, as your personal impressions of the stone are what matter most, and trump all the numbers.

Nid

Rough_Rock
Welp, I''m sorry I didn''t pick a ''flawless'' stone by the most stringent criteria, but I felt visually it was the best one I looked at. When looked at in natural light it looks like it has silver splinters inside it as the light refracts.

I suppose by my automotive based background, it would be like being proud of a 1987 Accord, judging from the two replies.

A . and the disenheartening remark posted above was not what I expected, to be honest. I didn''t know about the numbers you speak of, but I insist that this thing has an appeal when I look at it.

Color: in my expected range.

Cut Grade: according to GIA Very Good.

Polish: Very Good according to GIA.

Symmetry: Very Good according to GIA.

Size and cost: In my range.

So I''m not an expert. Sorry to ''waste time'' with you guys if that''s what it seems like. I''m not sure where the problem lies, but I''d be happy to learn. With what she wound up picking out, that across the board Excellent stone linked above was out of my price range. I looked at this stone under the looking glass and it looked fine to me. I especially like the way it seems to reflect silver spears.

Maybe I''m just stupid.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 11:08:10 PM
Welp, I''m sorry I didn''t pick a ''flawless'' stone by the most stringent criteria, but I felt visually it was the best one I looked at. When looked at in natural light it looks like it has silver splinters inside it as the light refracts.

I suppose by my automotive based background, it would be like being proud of a 1987 Accord, judging from the two replies.

A . and the disenheartening remark posted above was not what I expected, to be honest. I didn''t know about the numbers you speak of, but I insist that this thing has an appeal when I look at it.

So I''m not an expert. Sorry to ''waste time'' with you guys if that''s what it seems like. I''m not sure where the problem lies, but I''d be happy to learn. With what she wound up picking out, that across the board Excellent stone linked above was out of my price range. I looked at this stone under the looking glass and it looked fine to me. I especially like the way it seems to reflect silver spears.

Maybe I''m just stupid.
You certainly are not stupid. It''s just that there is a lot to learn about diamonds. The numbers mentioned by RBsearch can be found by using the Holloway Cut Advisor tool, or HCA. It is a predictor of good diamond proportions, and can be found at the top of this page under the TOOLS tab. You have selected a nice diamond. The people at this website can help you select an outstanding top-of-the-line diamond. And, here''s the thing, a lot of the time the best cut diamonds cost less than what you would pay for at a jewelry store for an average cut diamond. And, a super-duper cut diamond will look amazing.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2009 11:08:10 PM
Welp, I'm sorry I didn't pick a 'flawless' stone by the most stringent criteria, but I felt visually it was the best one I looked at. When looked at in natural light it looks like it has silver splinters inside it as the light refracts.

A . and the disenheartening remark posted above was not what I expected, to be honest. I didn't know about the numbers you speak of, but I insist that this thing has an appeal when I look at it.

So I'm not an expert. Sorry to 'waste time' with you guys if that's what it seems like. I'm not sure where the problem lies, but I'd be happy to learn. With what she wound up picking out, that across the board Excellent stone linked above was out of my price range. I looked at this stone under the looking glass and it looked fine to me. I especially like the way it seems to reflect silver spears.

Maybe I'm just stupid.
Nid - PLEASE don't feel that way, you are NOT wasting anyone's time!!!! You picked a diamond you loved!! Once you posted the report we could see the angle combo isn't the most effective at returning light ( sparkle) - the pavilion angle in particular is steep. We normally look for around 40.6 - 41 degrees for pavilion. The lower girdle facets are very long too which will give the very skinny silvery spears look. If you have looked at other diamonds and this one compares favourably then thats fine. What you could do is compare it to some AGS0 cut grade if there is a Jareds close by so you are viewing diamonds of known cut quality, then see how this one compares.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi NID,

I don''t think anyone feels you are wasting their time, or that you are stupid. I think what happened here, is that posters saw you are brand new to diamonds, and that you came here asking for help and "schooling" on diamonds. Then you bought one, rather quickly, and posted the info on it. All you really got was constructive criticism, no harm was meant. If you have decided that''s the one for you, and you don''t wish to look further, just say so, and that will be the end of it. But I would state that, if it is the case, as your comments prior might be a bit misleading, in asking for help.
2.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 7:47:15 AM
Author: Ellen
Hi NID,

I don''t think anyone feels you are wasting their time, or that you are stupid. I think what happened here, is that posters saw you are brand new to diamonds, and that you came here asking for help and ''schooling'' on diamonds. Then you bought one, rather quickly, and posted the info on it. All you really got was constructive criticism, no harm was meant. If you have decided that''s the one for you, and you don''t wish to look further, just say so, and that will be the end of it. But I would state that, if it is the case, as your comments prior might be a bit misleading, in asking for help.
2.gif
Ditto, Ellen. I don''t think anyone meant you any harm or offense. We are here to help, if it is wanted. If you''re pleased with your purchase, ignore all of the above. Enjoy your engagement!

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Hello Nid - I absolutely meant no offense. In fact, I spent some time thinking about whether to explain why that diamond didn''t fit the criteria usually applied here, or whether to let sleeping dogs lie. In the end, I decided that you came here for education, and that you might still benefit from our feedback.

If you are still interested in learning more, I agree with Lorelei that you should pop by a Jareds and look at their peerless diamonds. Not to buy, but just to see an example of a well cut diamond, and to decide if you want to pursue something like that, or if you are perfectly happy with the one you found. Either way is OK, and I want to reiterate what I said earlier, that visual appearance to you and your fiance is of utmost importance here. We can only go by the numbers, so you have more information than we do. If you found the perfect diamond, then I won''t argue with that.

Nid

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the helpful advice. I did move quickly on it because the whole engagement thing happened suddenly and I wanted something like NOW for her hand, and she thought it looked great so we just went with it. I will try to find a Jarods though. Thankd for everything.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 11:30:30 AM
Thank you all for the helpful advice. I did move quickly on it because the whole engagement thing happened suddenly and I wanted something like NOW for her hand, and she thought it looked great so we just went with it. I will try to find a Jarods though. Thankd for everything.
Most welcome Nid! And as RB explained definitely try Jareds then you can get a better idea of how the one you bought compares - but whatever you decide congrats on your engagement!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 11:32:49 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 3/23/2009 11:30:30 AM
Most welcome Nid! And as RB explained definitely try Jareds then you can get a better idea of how the one you bought compares - but whatever you decide congrats on your engagement!!!
Ditto!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on getting engaged! How very exciting.
1.gif

Mrs.2Artists

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on getting engaged. Finally, a man who moves quickly!!
3.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results