shape
carat
color
clarity

Picking a Round Diamond, help please

dami1234

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
How is this diamond for value? Mainly looking to be eye clean and sparkle enough; It's around the max budget I want to spend. Wouldn't mind going bit lower size if needed, trying to stay around 0.55 ct. Feel free to suggest other options that are better around the similar price at Blue Nile or James Allen; have settings picked.

fyi, I have reserved it. Would like to get it set and delivered to Canada early Jun, so appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Holloway Cut Advisor _ HCA Tool.pdf
    841.4 KB · Views: 8

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not a well cut stone at all. What is your budget (in CAD or USD)? Looks like the one you reserved is a bit over 1k in CAD

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,
How is this diamond for value? Mainly looking to be eye clean and sparkle enough; It's around the max budget I want to spend. Wouldn't mind going bit lower size if needed, trying to stay around 0.55 ct. Feel free to suggest other options that are better around the similar price at Blue Nile or James Allen; have settings picked.

fyi, I have reserved it. Would like to get it set and delivered to Canada early Jun, so appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!

If you’re in Canada and want to see stones beforehand, you could contact The Diamond Shopper out of Toronto, his name is Aaron. He also does settings, I had my first engagement ring and diamond done by him.

I know it’s a PITA (from experience) doing these things sometimes as the expenses rack up getting it over the border etc, just thought to pass his contact along, many of my friends use his services also.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell us what your budget is? Anything that is an SI2 with clouds being the grade making inclusion is not a good choice
(besides the stone you picked is not cut well). Let us help you find a better-cut diamond.

Budget for stone?

dami1234

Rough_Rock
Can you tell us what your budget is? Anything that is an SI2 with clouds being the grade making inclusion is not a good choice
(besides the stone you picked is not cut well). Let us help you find a better-cut diamond.

Budget for stone?

Budget is ideally under 1000 USD, appreciate recommendations.

I read the concerning "clouds" that would make it hazy would be marked as "Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown" or something along those lines. Is that not the case for GIA? is there any other concern? thanks for sharing knowledge!

dami1234

Rough_Rock
If you’re in Canada and want to see stones beforehand, you could contact The Diamond Shopper out of Toronto, his name is Aaron. He also does settings, I had my first engagement ring and diamond done by him.

I know it’s a PITA (from experience) doing these things sometimes as the expenses rack up getting it over the border etc, just thought to pass his contact along, many of my friends use his services also.

I am worried PST might applies if I buy from him, wonder if it's not the case since I'm based in Calgary? (I was following his thread in RFD as a guide)

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I am worried PST might applies if I buy from him, wonder if it's not the case since I'm based in Calgary? (I was following his thread in RFD as a guide)

I would think you'd have to if purchasing from Ontario, but it might be a wash once you pay in USD for both setting and stone on your credit card with their own interest rates. Not sure, but the option is always there.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read the concerning "clouds" that would make it hazy would be marked as "Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown" or something along those lines. Is that not the case for GIA? is there any other concern? thanks for sharing knowledge!

The note “clarity grade is based on clouds not shown” is indeed a BAD note. Avoid those stones like the plague as they will almost certainly be cloudy/hazy/lazy.

While this stone does not have that note, it does have a lower clarity grade. And while there are some nice eye clean SI2’s it’s getting harder and harder to find them. Simply stated, most aren’t.

The way clarity works is the lower the grade, the more and/or larger the inclusions relative to the stone. This particular stone doesn’t have a report that includes the clarity plot but we know the only characteristic identified is clouds. As such I would expect the stone to be hazy.

Regardless the stone isn’t cut well so it has multiple strikes against it. Just easier to find a better stone than try to force this one to work.

Does your $1,000 USD budget for the stone only, or do we have to subtract duties and taxes from it (roughly 25% but will double check)?

dami1234

Rough_Rock
stone only
The note “clarity grade is based on clouds not shown” is indeed a BAD note. Avoid those stones like the plague as they will almost certainly be cloudy/hazy/lazy.

While this stone does not have that note, it does have a lower clarity grade. And while there are some nice eye clean SI2’s it’s getting harder and harder to find them. Simply stated, most aren’t.

The way clarity works is the lower the grade, the more and/or larger the inclusions relative to the stone. This particular stone doesn’t have a report that includes the clarity plot but we know the only characteristic identified is clouds. As such I would expect the stone to be hazy.

Regardless the stone isn’t cut well so it has multiple strikes against it. Just easier to find a better stone than try to force this one to work.

Does your $1,000 USD budget for the stone only, or do we have to subtract duties and taxes from it (roughly 25% but will double check)?

Stone only 1000USD, preferably from BN or JA since I have selected some settings I like.

thank you so much and I read under 1ct they may not state the long disclaimer too.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results