shape
carat
color
clarity

Picking a Peridot

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter's birthstone is Peridot and for Christmas I would like to get her a birthstone ring. We saw a lovely one at an upscale jewelry store but of course I don't want to pay those prices (she's 14). I don't know much about them but I have noticed in my early search like most colored stones saturation varies.

Any suggestions of recommended retailers or rings you have seen listed at your favorite gem hot spots.... I don't want to be bigger than .90 cts I think. I'm o.k. with the band having a little bling (we saw one with pave') We prefer white gold. Totally open to suggestions or great finds!!!

Here's an example of one I found on ebay.. but I don't know anything about the dealer or about peridots so I'm a bit afraid...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140852606791?var=440078728219&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Also not opposed to buying one loose and then finding a setting...

Thanks!!!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I have bought peridot from multicolour and been very happy, and the prices were low. I would also look at ajs, though the burma material could be pricey. Litnon too has had nice peridot at good prices. I'm not very keen on the one you found on ebay, neither the setting nor the stone looks to be worth anywhere near the price.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the stone looks photoshopped to me. however, if there is a good return policy, why not have it sent to you and see what you think? personally, i think the peridot is lacking but the setting is a lovely one for a young woman your daughter's age.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does the listing mean when it says "this item has variations" at the top left of the page? Is that a stock picture or a picture of the actual ring for sale?

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I am an August baby, so I had my share of peridot rings when I was young. (edited to add that the stones weren't that pretty) :errrr:

What is your budget for the stone/ring? This is for a 14 year old, so I would suggest either getting a setting that protects the stone more than the one you linked OR one like the one you linked with a peridot in a calibrated size, so the stone could be replaced somewhere down the line.

As far as color, peridots can be very yellowy and washed out looking (my least favorite), apple green, almost mint green (harder to find) or a deep olive green. As stated, a peridot that size shouldn't break the bank, but almost all of the jewelry store peridots that I have seen that aren't really expensive have stones that are not that attractive and you are mostly paying for the setting.

I suggest you try sourcing a stone first and then find a setting, unless there is an etsy seller that has nice stones and settings in your budget. I've never purchased from etsy, so I can't comment on any of the rings on there, but I know several PSers have had good luck with some of their designers.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I would buy one from etsy - Janish Jewels, One Garnet Girl, and DanielM all have some peridot rings. And they have actual pictures of the item. LOTS of times stock pictures of peridot rings that look like the one in the ebay listing come to you olive-green and highly included. There are lots of other good etsy sellers as well but those are some I thought of off the top of my head. I've bought a lot of different small jewelry items from Etsy and been pleased with them all.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/68547159/rainbow-bezel-rings
http://www.etsy.com/listing/104771642/rose-cut-peridot-ring-18k-gold-and?ga_search_query=peridot
http://www.etsy.com/listing/44816619/pink-tourmaline-pillbox-ring-in-sterling?ga_search_query=pillbox (can get it in peridot)
http://www.etsy.com/listing/79284302/5mm-14k-gold-and-sterling-princess-cut?ga_search_query=peridot

colorluvr|1348578604|3274236 said:
I suggest you try sourcing a stone first and then find a setting, unless there is an etsy seller that has nice stones and settings in your budget. I've never purchased from etsy, so I can't comment on any of the rings on there, but I know several PSers have had good luck with some of their designers.

Sourcing a peridot of less than a carat will probably require that it be custom cut, if she wants to get it from a PS-recommended cutter. They usually don't sell peridot less than 3 cts.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
colorluvr|1348578604|3274236 said:

Sourcing a peridot of less than a carat will probably require that it be custom cut, if she wants to get it from a PS-recommended cutter. They usually don't sell peridot less than 3 cts.[/quote]

That is not really true. Sourcing a stone does not require it be custom cut. Many fine peridot are available from many of the PS-recommended vendors. A quick look just showed AJS, djraregems, gemrite, multicolour, peter torraca, roger dery, bespoke gems all have lovely peridot of under 3 carat, and most of those are actually NOT just vendors, but PS recommended cutters.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where are you seeing peridot under three carats on AJS? On Multicolour it is only in the calibrated stones area, which I would consider much dodgier in terms of the color you'd end up with. DJraregems have a few but they all look very olivey.

Most of the other places, when they do have smaller peridot, only go to around 1.5 carats. All the places except Peter Torraca just had one of a smaller size. She specifically said she wanted under .9 cts. And I only saw a rare few in that size when I looked, and none of a color I found acceptable.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter's birthstone is peridot. I do not know much about these stones. I was surprised at the different colors available-from a light green to a mossy yellow-green color. The lighter colors seemed to be more sparklier and the yellow-green ones more earthy. (I know that my descriptions are far from standard). The lighter ones seemed to be offered at mall shops and set in sterling or 10Kwhite gold and the earthier ones at higher end places in yellow gold. I was surprised to learn that peridots can come from places such as Arizona, Pakistan and elsewhere. I was even told that a peridot could come from meterors. I don't even know if they are heat treated. I would also like some information as to what is a quality stone-color, location etc. Thank you.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Good news is Richard Horner has some rough he can do a custom cut for me in a smaller size (not concave). It's from Pakistan and well within my budget!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Ah...I was just going to suggest buying that pair Chrono linked to which are very pretty and a good, saturated, clear colour and then saving the second one for a matching pendant at some stage. The etsy vendors previously mentioned should be able to execute a design - with or without bling ;)) - that you will be happy with.

Did you send Richard a picture of the colour green you want?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has Richard shown you the rough he plans to facet so you won't be surprised by the end colour? Peridots come in a variety of colours, even from the same location.

Stargurl,
That's one heck of a peridot. Bright, very green and pops in your setting.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stargirl, love how you set your peridot. allows for lots of light.....and it certainly is the star of the show! nicely done!

OP, is that the color you're looking for in peridot?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results