shape
carat
color
clarity

Pick a malaia garnet

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, I see, thanks. Was just editing my post to say 'or similar to pink tourmalines' =)2

For the size and beauty, relatively affordable. Would give Good finger coverage for the fat-fingered like me. Malaia garnet definitely on my bucket list now! :kiss2::kiss2:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
That green is absolutely crazy! Here's my malaia under UV that is close to the color of yours, but a bit more raspberry. 20210226_164554.jpg

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That green is absolutely crazy! Here's my malaia under UV that is close to the color of yours, but a bit more raspberry. 20210226_164554.jpg

Very interesting to have a comparison. I guess it’s not just yellow + blue = green. Does your stone also has rutile inclusions?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Very interesting to have a comparison. I guess it’s not just yellow + blue = green. Does your stone also has rutile inclusions?

It is a bit silky. Not as much as some of my spinels, but more so than what the stone you have looks like. I think I posted it up thread, but here it is in normal light and in sunlight through the window. 20210129_101512.jpg 20210129_101634.jpg

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It is a bit silky. Not as much as some of my spinels, but more so than what the stone you have looks like. I think I posted it up thread, but here it is in normal light and in sunlight through the window. 20210129_101512.jpg 20210129_101634.jpg

Kinda like ur red and green combo - even against common wisdom except for Xmas! :)

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say at the risk of hurt feelings and I really do not want to but feel it is my responsibility as a former wholesaler/retailer dealer of loose stones. $6000 is way high. That would be a full retail price, say a brick-and-mortar store, some may even charge more. But you can get the same color from very honest internet dealer for $1500-$2500 well cut this size. It depends on the dealer. If you bought this stone at full retail knowing that is what you did, no problem, but if you were told it was below retail, they did not tell you the truth.

Great stone, really, but a lot of money.

My apologies. Maybe I should not of said a thing. But it is in my nature to be truthful.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have to say at the risk of hurt feelings and I really do not want to but feel it is my responsibility as a former wholesaler/retailer dealer of loose stones. $6000 is way high. That would be a full retail price, say a brick-and-mortar store, some may even charge more. But you can get the same color from very honest internet dealer for $1500-$2500 well cut this size. It depends on the dealer. If you bought this stone at full retail knowing that is what you did, no problem, but if you were told it was below retail, they did not tell you the truth.

Great stone, really, but a lot of money.

My apologies. Maybe I should not of said a thing. But it is in my nature to be truthful.

No problem and thanks for the information. In all honesty, I’ve explored a lot of options and contacted at least 15 dealers who has dealt with Malaya garnets specifically. I’ve contacted David W from Multicolour.com for example, who couldn’t be nicer. However, it’s very hard for me to be sure of the quality of the stone and if the color is to my liking without seeing them in person under different lighting. I have to say that this stone is pretty high quality material. I have had a dealer in Thailand who sold a beautiful 6ct piece last year for $3.6k, but informed me that he could no longer sell at that price level as the inventory price has gone up. Funny enough that same dealer tried to sell me a 7.5ct Malaya in the exact cut and color for $7.5k, and I couldn’t stop thinking that’s the same stone I have in hand now. Again, if anyone think I’m an idiot for paying that price, please do voice over as I’m a new buyer to certain gem stones. Thanks.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea about pricing for malaia garnets but I must say the one you have now is extraordinary. It is so clean and the lustre is rather metallic, just like a spinel. Most malaia garnets I have seen on this forum or elsewhere look like the first two examples you posted.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
No problem and thanks for the information. In all honesty, I’ve explored a lot of options and contacted at least 15 dealers who has dealt with Malaya garnets specifically. I’ve contacted David W from Multicolour.com for example, who couldn’t be nicer. However, it’s very hard for me to be sure of the quality of the stone and if the color is to my liking without seeing them in person under different lighting. I have to say that this stone is pretty high quality material. I have had a dealer in Thailand who sold a beautiful 6ct piece last year for $3.6k, but informed me that he could no longer sell at that price level as the inventory price has gone up. Funny enough that same dealer tried to sell me a 7.5ct Malaya in the exact cut and color for $7.5k, and I couldn’t stop thinking that’s the same stone I have in hand now. Again, if anyone think I’m an idiot for paying that price, please do voice over as I’m a new buyer to certain gem stones. Thanks.

David Weinberg would have been a good choice. Has stones of that quality for very good prices. One of the best in the business. I know him.

But all that counts is if you like the stone.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
David Weinberg would have been a good choice. Has stones of that quality for very good prices. One of the best in the business. I know him.

But all that counts is if you like the stone.

I almost got this one from him: https://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/malaia_garnet/mg10534aa/&930512007. But to get the precision cut, I’ll loose quite some weight. He does an awesome job with the videos. However, it’s still hard because the stone shift colors a lot. I am extremely picky with my gems especially something less standard like a malaia. He will recut for you too for pretty cheap - in case anyone here is interested.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I almost got this one from him: https://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/malaia_garnet/mg10534aa/&930512007. But to get the precision cut, I’ll loose quite some weight. He does an awesome job with the videos. However, it’s still hard because the stone shift colors a lot. I am extremely picky with my gems especially something less standard like a malaia. He will recut for you too for pretty cheap - in case anyone here is interested.

Thing about a lot a Malaia Granet is a shift, yes (all do more or less). A beautiful reddish orange (blood orange) in sunlight or pinkisk orange (again reddish orange) then under fluorescent it can go copperish or brownish. But not all and he will tell people that. Even if a person has US lapidary recut, your still ahead by hundreds to $1000's of dollars and many times all is needed is a belly trim, so, you still have the same face up size. That one might have stayed over 5 carats, with a pavilion cut on Multicolour, or at least no more loss than a carat. It is a win win situation.

But Malaia's come in several other colors and shades. The pinks (Imperial) are generally regarded as top tier, but a lttle orange adds a lot of kick. Sold countless over the years. Great stones.

Last edited:

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thing about a lot a Malaia Granet is a shift, yes (all do more or less). A beautiful reddish orange (blood orange) in sunlight or pinkisk orange (again reddish orange) then under fluorescent it can go copperish or brownish. But not all and he will tell people that. Even if a person has US lapidary recut, your still ahead by hundreds to $1000's of dollars and many times all is needed is a belly trim, so, you still have the same face up size. That one might have stayed over 5 carats, with a pavilion cut on Multicolour, or at least no more loss than a carat. It is a win win situation.

But Malaia's come in several other colors and shades. The pinks (Imperial) are generally regarded as top tier, but a lttle orange adds a lot of kick. Sold countless over the years. Great stones.

David W is the only place that has inventories of the size (6-8ct) I want that seems to be beating the $55k price of this one (assuming it’s a malaia, the seller will certify with AGS for free). I will go back to him for one eventually but won’t want to pass on this one given the color display. It’s very hard to find them these days.

Speaking of which, have you seen any malaia then green under LWUVB light like the picture/video I posted? Thanks

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Malaia Garnet is not that uncommon, all things being relative in the gem world. Sure, you do not see it like many other varieties of Garnet with the exceptions of Mali, Demantoid, and if you really think about it, Spessartite and Tsavorite really are not much more abundant, especially fine specimens. Yours shows the classic shifts. I have no doubt it is Malaia.

It is not a Hessonite, which really is the only Garnet that overlaps with Malaia in appearance (but they do not go pink or bright orangish red), density, and RI. It is a good example of a top stone though overpriced. If you are not finding similar ones that are cheaper other than David's, you are looking in the wrong places. But I am not here to argue that or tell you where to look. All I wanted to say was to be aware you are paying a high price. But that is your decision. If you love the stone and money is not an object, be happy.
=)2

Last edited:

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
Would setting the stone darken the overall color? This is what happened to me with a blue sapphire. If I knew this before purchasing, I would have chosen the lighter of the 2 stones. Maybe this would help you make a decision since both stones are beautiful.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Malaia Garnet is not that uncommon, all things being relative in the gem world. Sure, you do not see it like many other varieties of Garnet with the exceptions of Mali, Demantoid, and if you really think about it, Spessartite and Tsavorite really are not much more abundant, especially fine specimens. Yours shows the classic shifts. I have no doubt it is Malaia.

It is not a Hessonite, which really is the only Garnet that overlaps with Malaia in appearance, density, and RI. It is a good example of a top stone though overpriced. If you are not finding similar ones that are cheaper other than David's, you are looking in the wrong places. But I am not here to argue that or tell you where to look. All I wanted to say was to be aware you are paying a high price. But that is your decision. If you love the stone and money is not an object, be happy.
=)2

Would you recommend a few places to look for future reference? This 7.5ct oval is a done deal for me and I am happy looking at it. It is raining in NYC today, and it still maintains a nice peachy / light cinnamon color. I checked Gemfix and All That Glitters too. Thanks.

Attachments

• 0B44C210-F142-4AF8-A07D-B1C4C7BF8304.jpeg
    0B44C210-F142-4AF8-A07D-B1C4C7BF8304.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 75D7AB67-B1E6-440D-BAE0-DF7C619AAE72.jpeg
    75D7AB67-B1E6-440D-BAE0-DF7C619AAE72.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 46

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Would setting the stone darken the overall color? This is what happened to me with a blue sapphire. If I knew this before purchasing, I would have chosen the lighter of the 2 stones. Maybe this would help you make a decision since both stones are beautiful.

It is something I am mindful of. It will take me sometime to contemplating a setting for the third stone I posted here (the 7.5ct oval with a more orange hue and medium tone). =) But I am fairly certain it will be a East-West setting as it appears more flashy in that orientation.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Would you recommend a few places to look for future reference? This 7.5ct oval is a done deal for me and I am happy looking at it. It is raining in NYC today, and it still maintains a nice peachy / light cinnamon color. I checked Gemfix and All That Glitters too. Thanks.

I think there was a few links earlier on this thread that had exceptionally nice Malaia the same size for much cheaper.

Inventories change all the time. Google Malaia or Malaya as many call it. Go to Facebook search for it. 1000's of vendors on Facebook. Esty, e bay, Instagram. While the vendor list provided on this forum has particularly good vendors on it, it is dwarfed by the number of dealers out there you can find that are just as good. You may feel cautious about dealing with new vendors, especially from Asia and Africa, but if you really want to expand your choices, there you go. Good luck to you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results