shape
carat
color
clarity

Phrases that people get wrong

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 11:48:29 AM
Author: blackpolkadot

Date: 8/18/2009 11:11:23 AM
Author: trillionaire

My FI says he needs to ''make groceries'' rather than ''buy groceries''. I think this is a regional thing, but always
33.gif
''s me!
40.gif

I know near New Orleans they say this. One of my professors tells a story about when she moved to Arkansas from New Orleans. A certain day of the week she would go grocery shopping, and she would tell the other professors she had to go ''make groceries.'' They all thought she was going home to cook until one day another professor saw her in the grocery after her last class.

So it is a regional thing to my knowledge, but I still don''t understand it.
9.gif
LOL! Spot on, FI''s mom is from New Orleans! I knew he got it from somewhere!
3.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
This one makes me disproportionately furious:

I have a temperature. I can''t come to work (or whatever).

WE ALL HAVE TEMPERATURES! ALL OF US! If yours is HIGH (meaning you are SICK) you have a FEVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I know, I am rediculous
11.gif
3.gif

Also, ditto Viszla, I hate when people say "eXpresso". It is eSpresso!! My DH does that and it drives me batty. Now he does it on purpose.
14.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I just heard a new one today. "Obeast" instead of "obese" which actually gives me a REALLY funny mental picture. I heard three people say it!!! It took everything in me not to break down and correct them. Everything. In. Me.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/18/2009 11:48:29 AM

I know near New Orleans they say this. One of my professors tells a story about when she moved to Arkansas from New Orleans. A certain day of the week she would go grocery shopping, and she would tell the other professors she had to go "make groceries." They all thought she was going home to cook until one day another professor saw her in the grocery after her last class.

but I still don't understand it.

I had never heard of the phrase, "to make groceries" before, but I think I do. At least, I can make an educated guess about it. The English in and around New Orleans is heavily influenced by the French brought by the Acadians who migrated there. In French the verb, "faire" means both "to do" and "to make". It seems likely that the French influence would make people more ready to use "do" and "make" more interchangeably in English.

AGBF
34.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I hear some people say " Can you borrow me this? " Hummmm... Isn't "lend me this"?

and I cannot stand the use of: So and so blah balh... Such as .... and this after that blah blah such as....
24.gif

blackpolkadot

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 1:23:08 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
8/18/2009 11:48:29 AM

but I still don''t understand it.

I had never heard of the phrase, ''to make groceries'' before, but I think I do. At least, I can make an educated guess about it. The English in and around New Orleans is heavily influenced by the French brought by the Acadians who migrated there. In French the verb, ''faire'' means both ''to do'' and ''to make''. It seems likely that the French influence would make people more ready to use ''do'' and ''make'' more interchangeably in English.

AGBF

34.gif

Thanks, AGBF! Makes sense now!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Something that the especially ghetto-fabulous where I live say is, when they are talking about giving their child a bath, they say, "take her a bath." WTF?

I mean, I know you dropped out of middle school to have your fourth kid, but come on
20.gif

And I'm joking, just so you know. But that phrase REALLY gets to me. Even some of the smarter people I know say it, and it grinds my gears.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/18/2009 1:10:42 PM
Author: Miscka
This one makes me disproportionately furious:

I have a temperature. I can''t come to work (or whatever).

WE ALL HAVE TEMPERATURES! ALL OF US! If yours is HIGH (meaning you are SICK) you have a FEVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I know, I am rediculous
11.gif
3.gif

Also, ditto Viszla, I hate when people say ''eXpresso''. It is eSpresso!! My DH does that and it drives me batty. Now he does it on purpose.
14.gif
For some reason, people around here say "I''m running a temperature." It''s the strangest expression. How can you "run" a temperature?

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Good quality car.
Poor quality car.
29.gif

Quality is high or low, not good or bad.

Good and poor could describe the car itself but not quality.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and when people say "they want to have their cake and eat it, too". Looking at this chronologically, the order is fouled up. Of course you can have your cake and eat it, but you can''t "eat your cake and have it, too."

The original statement was written in 1546 by John Heywood, "wolde you bothe eate your cake, and have your cake?"

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
how about in school, when kids ask if they can borrow a piece of paper for class? Are you going to write on it and return it to me?
33.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
OH! Ball/bawl, bulk/balk.

A child bawls when they lose their ball.
You balk at the initial cost when you buy in bulk.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 1:37:58 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Something that the especially ghetto-fabulous where I live say is, when they are talking about giving their child a bath, they say, ''take her a bath.'' WTF?
I know, really! Are they going to take the bath tub to the child?

Everybody knows they need to draw a bath!

Can''t figure that one out. Do you take an easel in there with you?

Treefrog

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:21:48 PM
how about in school, when kids ask if they can borrow a piece of paper for class? Are you going to write on it and return it to me?
33.gif

It''s MUCH worse when they ask to borrow a tampon.

32.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
It''s a little out of context... but when I met my husband, he didn''t really know all of the words in English to describe some object...
When descibed an Air conditioner, he called it "freezing Machine"
and the toilet scrubber, he called it "Cleaning tool". It was so cute.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:35:38 PM
Author: somethingshiny

Date: 8/18/2009 2:21:48 PM
33.gif

It''s MUCH worse when they ask to borrow a tampon.

32.gif
Yeah and a Tissue.... no thanks - you can keep it :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is cracking me up.

I also go crazy when people use some of these.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/18/2009 2:21:48 PM
33.gif
I feel your pain, trillionaire, but the custom of using "borrow" in English for certain items that cannot be returned has been standard for many years and is not peculiar to the modern and uneducated. My mother would ask a neighbor if she could, "borrow" a cup of sugar or two eggs. It was clear that she would not return the same cup of sugar or the same two eggs, but would rather replace them.

AGBF
34.gif

drk

Brilliant_Rock
It drives me nuts when people say that you "implant" embryos in IVF. No, you transfer them, and hope that they will implant a few days later. And I''ve lost track of how often I''ve heard nurses or people at work say that someone seizured. Nope, they had a seizure, or they seized.
Or the overuse of the word "like", valley-girl style.
How about "me and him went..." instead of "He and I went...".

I read a TON as a kid, so I think that I''ve nearly always gotten homonyms spelled correctly. It seems pretty rare these days though. I wonder if there are more of us on PS who get peeved by this sort of thing because we''re on average more educated that the population in general?

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:24:26 PM
Author: princesss

I def misused this the other day, probably somewhere on PS
14.gif
9.gif
. Stupid brain farts, I have got to stop posting at 3am!
3.gif

Guilty as charged!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/18/2009 5:27:20 PM
Author: drk

I wonder if there are more of us on PS who get peeved by this sort of thing because we''re on average more educated that the population in general?

Well, I think that one thing that we can safely conclude is that we are among the literate part of the population, otherwise we wouldn''t be able to read a forum.

AGBF
34.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 6:55:47 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
8/18/2009 5:27:20 PM
Author: drk

I wonder if there are more of us on PS who get peeved by this sort of thing because we''re on average more educated that the population in general?

Well, I think that one thing that we can safely conclude is that we are among the literate part of the population, otherwise we wouldn''t be able to read a forum.

AGBF
34.gif
I''d wager that the average person who is researching how to purchase high quality diamonds is probably more educated than most. It''s a pretty high class hobby...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 6:50:57 PM
Date: 8/18/2009 2:24:26 PM

Author: princesss

I def misused this the other day, probably somewhere on PS
14.gif
9.gif
. Stupid brain farts, I have got to stop posting at 3am!
3.gif

Guilty as charged!

Haha, Trill, I didn''t even notice! I just got an e-mail today from somebody talking about buying "in balk." And they don''t have the 3 AM excuse!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
ying and yang?
32.gif
32.gif
I get a visual of Tweedledee and Tweedledum!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
All intents and purposes was ''all intensive purposes'' for over 25 years of my life ::hangs head::

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
I''m thoroughly enjoying this topic! These sorts of things annoy me frequently. Here are my latest peeves:

When someone says "there were less people at the store yesterday"...no, there were fewer people and, perhaps, less money or less inventory. Fewer is for people.

My kids say "do you want to verse me" when they are playing ball or something. I think they must get it from hearing "Plessy vs. Ferguson" or "LSU vs. Alabama" but the whole "verse" thing makes me want to scream.

My husband and his colleagues talk about how to "incentivize" someone. When did "incentive" become a verb?

Such fun pondering the language!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
'I'm excited about our upcoming vowel renewal!'
20.gif

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Just had to say it...but, it REALLY bothers me when people say "axe" instead of "ask"!

Pretty pleeeease - look at the spelling of the word. You don''t a-XXXX-e a question, you a-SSSS-k a question!

ice-queen

Shiny_Rock

Play it by year / Play it by ear (I can''t believe this hasn''t been mentioned....drives me nuts!!!)

I also can''t stand when people leave out the words "to be"...For example, "My car needs washed." No, your car needs TO BE washed!!! Ugh, this is such a Pittsburgh thing. I love Pittsburgh (or Picks-burgh, as I often hear!), but I can''t stand the way people talk...Seriously, there could be a whole thread just for stupid Pittsburgh sayings/pronunciations/words!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, with all the teenagers texting all those abbreviated "words" they say English is about to change dramatically when they grow up.

LOL!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results