shape
carat
color
clarity

Phrases that people get wrong

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
You guys are going to knock seven bells out of me but hear goes (Gailey treads gently):

CA-RA-MEL, not CAR-MEL. Everytime I hear Martha say it I want to punch her!

Aluminum grates on me, when I was brought up to know Aluminium but not as much as the dreaded car-mel (thought that was a town in California??)

Signed: Gailey - Connoisseur of Queen''s English

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 11:23:00 AM
Author: gemgirl
As someone already mentioned, ''irregardless'' has always always gotten under my skin and driven me nuts.

And the two that my husband and his family can not shake- seen and ain''t. I can''t imagine how many times I have said ''please say saw'', which of course falls on deaf ears. I''ve offered my husband a dictionary to look up the word ain''t, and I always get a nasty look.
"I seen it with my own eyes, so I did" AAAAARRRRARGGGHH!

Another one I hate: "I ain''t havin'' none of it". That one defies any attempt to correct it!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 2:01:01 AM
Author: Gailey
You guys are going to knock seven bells out of me but hear goes (Gailey treads gently):

Aluminum grates on me, when I was brought up to know Aluminium but not as much as the dreaded car-mel (thought that was a town in California??)

Uh Oh, Gailey are you going to punch me???? I don''t say it the way you do. ha ha ha ha ha.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 12:06:00 PM
Author: Moh 10
DH for husband . . . where did the D come from?
I concur Moh. I cannot bring myself to say DH, when so often I am tempted to write FH (but then none of you would to understand what I mean''t)!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 3:30:30 PM
Author: Tuckins1

Date: 8/16/2009 8:06:43 PM
Author: monarch64
''For all intensive purposes'' rather than, ''for all intents and purposes.''

This one kills me too. I hardly ever hear anyone use this phrase correctly.
Flippin'' heck, I had to look that one up!

"To all intents and purposes"

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 2:12:49 AM

I concur Moh. I cannot bring myself to say DH, when so often I am tempted to write FH (but then none of you would to understand what I mean''t)!
what about CH for Current Husband?
27.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 7:56:25 AM
Author: justginger
You''re right, TGal - orientated is the British English version of the American ''oriented.'' It took me a while to figure it out; I wasn''t sure if they were exactly the same.

I am still not quite sure about ''while'' vs ''whilst.'' Aussies are generally very particular about using ''whilst'' and look down on the American grammar habit of using ''while.'' Once again, I think they''re the same - but I''m not positive. :)

Almost all of the things discussed tick me off. I hated being in school and proof-reading peer papers. Pure torture. Take the apostrophe out of that ''it''s'' unless IT IS doing something!!
29.gif

+1 to everything suggested.
Ahh, my all-time favourite word! A true gem of a word if ever there was one!

A Canadian girlfriend bought a jumper (sweater/pullover) from Marks and Spencer. She asked me what the following phrase in the laundering instructions mean''t: "Do not hang whilst damp". I stared at her in a state of complete incredulity!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 1:55:00 AM
Author: kenny
You know, with all the teenagers texting all those abbreviated ''words'' they say English is about to change dramatically when they grow up.

LOL!
9.gif
Yeah and God help them when the old satellite falls out of the sky. They will never be able to go anywhere!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 2:07:41 AM
Author: Linda W

Date: 8/19/2009 2:01:01 AM

Uh Oh, Gailey are you going to punch me???? I don''t say it the way you do. ha ha ha ha ha.
No, of course not silly, you''d get me with the Granny Bat! However, please practice Linda, practice!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 2:21:15 AM
Author: trillionaire

Date: 8/19/2009 2:12:49 AM

what about CH for Current Husband?
27.gif
Superlative Trill!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, just thought of another one that drives me nuts. The expression is "down pat" but I''ve heard down pack, down packed, down pact? UGH, drives me crazy!!!

tadji

Rough_Rock
In Australia some people have trouble with the difference between "brought" and "bought". I get so annoyed when someone tells me they went to the shop and "brought" a new shirt. Argh!!!

Oh and I have also found some people who say "melk" instead of "milk" and "pellow" instead of "pillow"
38.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Okay, what about "duck tape" for "duct tape" (disregarding the fact that there is now a brand of duct tape called "Duck tape")? It drives me bonkers!!! Though I''ll give the Duck tape people credit - talk about taking advantage of people not knowing the correct term!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
"Purposed" instead of "proposed."

That runs kind of rampant here lol.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday I got a text from my boyfriend (who is usually very smart...) He said "isn''t that some kind of fopa?"

I spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out what he meant.... Faux pas.

37.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 3:08:46 PM
Author: OUpeargirl
Yesterday I got a text from my boyfriend (who is usually very smart...) He said ''isn''t that some kind of fopa?''

37.gif

LOL! Well, he IS gorgeous, so he gets a pass on that one!
5.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 3:22:23 PM
Author: Miscka

Yesterday I got a text from my boyfriend (who is usually very smart...) He said ''isn''t that some kind of fopa?''

37.gif

5.gif

3.gif
Hahaha verrrrrrrrry true!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 4:04:28 PM

Date: 8/19/2009 3:22:23 PM
Author: Miscka

37.gif

5.gif

3.gif
Hahaha verrrrrrrrry true!
I would have assumed it was some military acronym..... like fubar?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results