shape
carat
color
clarity

Phrases that people get wrong

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 5:40:22 PM
Author: indecisive

Date: 8/17/2009 1:36:21 PM
Author: musey

Date: 8/16/2009 8:52:45 PM
Author: indecisive
lol I have heard someone say it''s a ''doggy dog'' wold instead of a ''dog eat dog'' wold!
Oh that''s too funny - that''s exactly what I was about to post! My husband''s grandmother (not a native english speaker) says this one. She says a bunch of other stuff wrong too, but nothing specific comes to mind at the moment.
Aww a little grandma saying it would probably be cute!

My husband, I am embarrassed to admit, says ''mute point'' and it drives me crazy!! It always reminds me of when Joey on Friends says that it is a ''moo point'' because it''s like a cow''s opinion, no one cares
41.gif
!
Hahaha I love the moo point episode!! It''s like the air quotes one...oh Joey...
9.gif

Lesley Harris

Rough_Rock
Trade
I used to have a coworker who would need to come into my office and "ventilate" when she was worked up!! I never did correct her but really had to control my laughter each and every time she said it
9.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 3:29:55 PM
Author: treefrog
Deer fellow PS''ers,
I am sorry for my poor communication skills. Its'' not like I try to always mess up but for all intensive purposes, I just have trouble with my righting. It''s a doggie dog world though so I guess you will continue to make fun of me. That''s ok.. I could care less. You know, six and a half dozen or the other times, I do get it write. I insure you I will try harder in the future but please, don''t take that promise for granite -- I can only try. I think some of you are just a little too in tents.
Treefrog

Hahaha.
9.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Deer fellow PS''ers,

I am sorry for my poor communication skills. Its'' not like I try to always mess up but for all intensive purposes, I just have trouble with my righting. It''s a doggie dog world though so I guess you will continue to make fun of me. That''s ok.. I could care less. You know, six and a half dozen or the other times, I do get it write. I insure you I will try harder in the future but please, don''t take that promise for granite -- I can only try. I think some of you are just a little too in tents.

Treefrog

9.gif
25.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 6:18:24 PM
Author: Moh 10

Deer fellow PS''ers,
Treefrog

Hahaha.
9.gif
Loves it!!!
3.gif

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 2:34:23 PM
Author: Elmorton

My favorite story about a misused/misheard phrase is actually my own misunderstanding. I once had a job where I was a media coordinator for a university health clinic, and I took a new poster that I'd designed to my supervisor. It was a for a Great American Smoke-Out, and I had the phrase 'Nip it in the butt' going across the page with an image of a bent cigarette butt. My supervisor thought it was so cute and witty, and she was showing it to another person in the office when I overheard her say 'Get it? Like nip it in the bud!' I felt like a complete moron - not being a gardner, the meaning of the real phrase was lost on me, and I'd seriously thought the phrase WAS nip it in the butt, like a dog snapping at your heels, only snapping at your rear end.

This reminded me of my old boss...she used to say 'let's nab it in the butt' - instead of 'nip it in the bud!' LOL! Made me cringe every time she said it!

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 6:38:39 PM
Author: Ara Ann
This reminded me of my old boss...she used to say ''let''s nab it in the butt'' - instead of ''nip it in the bud!'' LOL! Made me cringe every time she said it!

Are you sure she wasn''t just trying to get . . . uhm . . . "friendly" with you?
11.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 8:50:07 AM
Author: kiett98
...when people pronounce the ''l'' in salmon.

OH that drives me INSANE and when ppl say JEW-LERY instead of JEWEL-RY

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dislike the over use of words and phrases more than anything else. The human language has way too many words to use those like "ergo" over and over again. Be creative, go for "as a result" or "therefore". You negate the purpose of using a big word by using it too many times. Instead of appearing intelligent and eloquent, you look desperate; like you want people to think you''re smart.

"fair enough" and "touche" also drive me batty.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 7:25:05 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I dislike the over use of words and phrases more than anything else. The human language has way too many words to use those like 'ergo' over and over again. Be creative, go for 'as a result' or 'therefore'. You negate the purpose of using a big word by using it too many times. Instead of appearing intelligent and eloquent, you look desperate; like you want people to think you're smart.

'fair enough' and 'touche' also drive me batty.
LOL, Stephanie. I'm 100% with you.
9.gif

I just discovered another offense - homonyms, but especially semi-homonyms like sense and since. I see one substituted for the other constantly.

Oh, and assume vs. presume.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
You give advice and you advise. You lose a ring when it''s loose, you don''t loose a ring.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 6:21:52 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 8/17/2009 6:18:24 PM
Author: Moh 10

Deer fellow PS''ers,
Treefrog

Hahaha.
9.gif
Loves it!!!
3.gif
It was a slow afternoon. Sorry to put you through that!

Although I have been to many countries, I don''t speak or write any foreign languages. I simply can not imagine trying to learn to speak or write in English...

to, too, two
their, there
wear, where
poor, pour

...in addition to everything mentioned above. I hate to admit it but I live near DC and I have to stop myself from putting the ''r'' in wash and Washington. I guess I picked it up early on and nobody ever corrected me. I think I was in college before I got busted on it. I simply had no idea it wasn''t pronounced that way.

Treefrog

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Rediculous drives me batty. It''s insane how many intelligent people cannot spell that word.

I hate if someone is putting up a caption for a picture and they say it is "John Doe and I." No, you idiot. That''s a picture of "John Doe and me."

My ex NEVER said "I''m going to." Instead it became one word that made my skin crawl.... "In''gunna."

AAAAHHHHH

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Old wise tale
6.gif

lulu

Ideal_Rock
It''s desperate and separate rather than desparate and seperate. And don''t get me started on affect vs. effect.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
"Loose" instead of "lose" is one of my biggest pet peeves. Also, I used to have a boss who said "substainability" instead of "sustainability". It drove me batty!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
treefrog~ LOL that was very funny!

"old wise tale" actually makes sense a bit, and it''s certainly better than seeing written "Old wive''s TAIL" What do we need with her hiney?!?!

I like the doggie biting the butt, Elmorton. It certainly would be a doggie dog world!

This one isn''t a phrase, but I had to add it.

Have you ever heard a person describing a movie or book and tell you about the "climatic" ending. Really, like did it get really hot or humid or something?

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ex-specially instead of especially

23.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
"Bare with me"
9.gif

And why does everyone on this site keep forgetting about the 'u' in 'colour'?
2.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 5:28:21 AM
Author: Delster
''Bare with me''
9.gif

And why does everyone on this site keep forgetting about the ''u'' in ''colour''?
2.gif

LOL :razz:

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 6:46:52 PM
Author: atroop711

OH that drives me INSANE and when ppl say JEW-LERY instead of JEWEL-RY
Guilty
35.gif
Although, to be fair, here it's spelt Jewellery.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 10:58:45 PM
Author: Amethyste
Your instead of You''re

and There instead of Their

Innernet instead of Internet

Nucular instead of Nuclear

Then instead of Than

Fiancee instead of fiance... and all of the vices and versas ;-)

OHHHH I wanted to SLAP BUSH every time he said NUCULAR instead of NUCLEAR...when he would open his mouth and say it this way my skin would crawl
29.gif

justginger

Ideal_Rock
You''re right, TGal - orientated is the British English version of the American ''oriented.'' It took me a while to figure it out; I wasn''t sure if they were exactly the same.

I am still not quite sure about "while" vs "whilst." Aussies are generally very particular about using "whilst" and look down on the American grammar habit of using "while." Once again, I think they''re the same - but I''m not positive. :)

Almost all of the things discussed tick me off. I hated being in school and proof-reading peer papers. Pure torture. Take the apostrophe out of that "it''s" unless IT IS doing something!!
29.gif

+1 to everything suggested.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I''m dying . . .

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I have a new one this morning...my good friend has said this to me a couple of times now and not sure how to take it!

"Make-shift"

To me, it implies that something has been thrown together in a somewhat cruddy/cheap way...is that what it is supposed to mean?

In two recent instances she''s used the term regarding my home and decorating style, one really kind of hurt my feelings...we re-purposed our formal living room and now use it as our dining room, looks like a dining room, nothing weird going on, but when she was here last she said to her husband,

"Let''s go see their make-shift dining room."

Made me feel like I should have had an old door for a table and cardboard boxes for chairs!

Then today, I showed her some pics of rustic fireplace mantels and shelves, we have a stone fireplace surround and I am trying to choose which look to go with. She referred to the shelf I showed her as a "make-shift" style! Again, to me it sounds like something you throw together with whatever you have laying around...that is not the look I am going for, LOL! And I don''t consider it ''make-shift'' according to my understanding of the phrase.

Am I misunderstanding "make-shift" or is she misusing it? Any advice here?

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I hate when people say "I''m waiting on line" rather than "IN line".
20.gif

I despise when people say "You welcome" rather than "you are welcome" or "You''re welcome"
29.gif

My FI says he needs to ''make groceries'' rather than ''buy groceries''. I think this is a regional thing, but always
33.gif
''s me!
40.gif

Jen_91909

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/16/2009 9:08:23 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Date: 8/16/2009 9:03:21 PM

Author: EBree

''I could care less.''

I see this one all the time!

I loathe and despise that! My sis says it and it makes my skin crawl.

Another one is ''six and one half dozen or the other'' instead of ''six of one, half dozen of the other.''

oh jeez...finally this expression actually makes sense to me now! It''s because I have always heard it said incorrectly (the way you wrote it the first time).

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I seriously can''t control my laughter!! I agree with all of these! I''ll also add visa versa instead of VICE versa (I think someone may have mentioned this), ex-cetera instead of et cetera, escape goat instead of scapegoat, ying and yang instead of yin, perscription instead of prescription. I could go on and on, I have serious pet peeves about this stuff. So glad I''m not alone!
2.gif

blackpolkadot

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 11:11:23 AM
Author: trillionaire

My FI says he needs to ''make groceries'' rather than ''buy groceries''. I think this is a regional thing, but always
33.gif
''s me!
40.gif

I know near New Orleans they say this. One of my professors tells a story about when she moved to Arkansas from New Orleans. A certain day of the week she would go grocery shopping, and she would tell the other professors she had to go "make groceries." They all thought she was going home to cook until one day another professor saw her in the grocery after her last class.

So it is a regional thing to my knowledge, but I still don''t understand it.
9.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Makeshift is a word. It means a substitute for something unavailable. I have a makeshift dining area in my living room since my kitchen isn''t large enough.

Some people use the word with a negative connotation (like being less than desirable) but in general, it''s basically improvisation.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results