shape
carat
color
clarity

Photo's of your inclusions please

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's an example of common inclusions in aquamarine made unique by cutting.

Mined in Brazil circa 1980, named after emperors Pedro I and Pedro II, the Dom Pedro Aquamarine’s original rough crystal weighed approximately 100 pounds and measured over 3 feet in length.

Berd Munsteiner, innovator of the fantasy cut gemstone, was tasked with planning and cutting this extraordinary specimen. He used the inclusions to spectacular effect.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Curious....when diamonds have inclusions such as the garnets, is it listed on the report as a garnet (assuming it's listed as a grade setting inclusion), or just as a crystal?

Reactions: AV_

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Curious....when diamonds have inclusions such as the garnets, is it listed on the report as a garnet (assuming it's listed as a grade setting inclusion), or just as a crystal?
The testing required to analyse an inclusion trapped in diamond is very expensive. So no. not unless the mineral breaks the surface would it be even slightly practical.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
The testing required to analyse an inclusion trapped in diamond is very expensive. So no. not unless the mineral breaks the surface would it be even slightly practical.

Thanks. It's too bad though - it could be something to watch for.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Demon I would expect that the Lotus Lab can id inclusions fully contained withiin the host, since they are doing this for other stones & have published such results; the questions might be: #what they may want to put on a report about a diamond since the lab does not offer services regarding diamonds [they may only want to tell you what you have and give a summary of lab results, without calling it all a 'report' or even signing, like a research lab would do if they take the job]. Or, a commercial lab technically capable to do the job may take it - I know one or two that, sometimes, have the time.

I'd expect to pay a few times the price of a usual report, up to 2K.

2c

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
@Demon I would expect that the Lotus Lab can id inclusions fully contained withiin the host, since they are doing this for other stones & have published such results; the questions might be: #what they may want to put on a report about a diamond since the lab does not offer services regarding diamonds [they may only want to tell you what you have and give a summary of lab results, without calling it all a 'report' or even signing, like a research lab would do if they take the job]. Or, a commercial lab technically capable to do the job may take it - I know one or two that, sometimes, have the time.

I'd expect to pay a few times the price of a usual report, up to 2K.

2c

Wow, that would be a lot. Especially it it turned out not to be anything interesting! It's too bad, because it would be nice if, while searching for a diamond, you could find out if any of the inclusions were something really cool. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Demon I do not quite know what could be an interesting inclusion for someone who studies diamonds, but would dare ask for a good guess off the cuff, no question of reports implicit.

Last edited:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I don't study them but for me any gemstone crystal, other than a diamond crystal, would be interesting. I'd love to see one with a tsavorite inclusion.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't study them but for me any gemstone crystal, other than a diamond crystal, would be interesting. I'd love to see one with a tsavorite inclusion.
It may be possible - but since they are way more rare than red and brownish red garnets - I want one too!
This is info from a De Beers diamond education course (that is surprisingly good - only found one mistake so far):
The two most common upper mantle rock types in which diamonds grow are peridotite and eclogite. Peridotite is the dominant rock type of the upper mantle; it comprises olivine (peridot is the gem form of this mineral) and other minerals rich in magnesium and/or chromium such as orthopyroxene, clinopyroxene (chrome diopside), pyrope garnet and chrome spinel. Diamonds which have grown in peridotite may contain inclusions of these minerals.
02_02_Growth-Conditions_Growth_Image1.jpg

In contrast, seismic and petrologic evidence shows that eclogite is volumetrically less abundant (~20%) than peridotite in the mantle. However it is a major source of diamonds. Eclogitic rocks are dominated by almandine-pyrope garnets and clinopyroxene, although accessory minerals such as kyanite, coesite and rutile are found. Eclogite typically forms when mafic igneous rocks (typically basalt or gabbro) descend into the mantle in subduction zones and as a result undergo high-pressure metamorphism. Subduction recycles material including carbonate rocks such as limestone, marble, and dolomite into the mantle. Organic material, may also be subducted, and the detection of its presence in certain eclogitic diamonds has been interpreted by some researchers to be evidence of recycled organic carbon, incorporated during diamond growth.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread! I love seeing all the natural attributes of diamonds and gemstones!

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
It may be possible - but since they are way more rare than red and brownish red garnets - I want one too!
This is info from a De Beers diamond education course (that is surprisingly good - only found one mistake so far):
The two most common upper mantle rock types in which diamonds grow are peridotite and eclogite. Peridotite is the dominant rock type of the upper mantle; it comprises olivine (peridot is the gem form of this mineral) and other minerals rich in magnesium and/or chromium such as orthopyroxene, clinopyroxene (chrome diopside), pyrope garnet and chrome spinel. Diamonds which have grown in peridotite may contain inclusions of these minerals.
02_02_Growth-Conditions_Growth_Image1.jpg

In contrast, seismic and petrologic evidence shows that eclogite is volumetrically less abundant (~20%) than peridotite in the mantle. However it is a major source of diamonds. Eclogitic rocks are dominated by almandine-pyrope garnets and clinopyroxene, although accessory minerals such as kyanite, coesite and rutile are found. Eclogite typically forms when mafic igneous rocks (typically basalt or gabbro) descend into the mantle in subduction zones and as a result undergo high-pressure metamorphism. Subduction recycles material including carbonate rocks such as limestone, marble, and dolomite into the mantle. Organic material, may also be subducted, and the detection of its presence in certain eclogitic diamonds has been interpreted by some researchers to be evidence of recycled organic carbon, incorporated during diamond growth.

The earth is really pretty damn fascinating. Rutile.....maybe a diamond with some gold rutile needles? I know needles aren't uncommon, but a bunch of them, like in rutilated quartz could be cool.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The earth is really pretty damn fascinating. Rutile.....maybe a diamond with some gold rutile needles? I know needles aren't uncommon, but a bunch of them, like in rutilated quartz could be cool.
Like the ring rutilated quartz Angalina Jolie wore in the movie Malificent. We had that ring instore for sale last year. Proceeds to building schools in war zones.
1590709212180.png
Cant find a better pic
1590709324601.png

Attachments

• 1590709210168.png
    1590709210168.png
    944.4 KB · Views: 33

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Like the ring rutilated quartz Angalina Jolie wore in the movie Malificent. We had that ring instore for sale last year. Proceeds to building schools in war zones.
1590709212180.png
Cant find a better pic
1590709324601.png

Oh, I wish that was clearer and I couldn't find a thing on google. But it looks like it's gorgeous. A good use of the funds, and I hope it sold for a lot.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A 0,47 ct Fancy intense blue green with a large system of thin graphitized decrompression cracks.

The stone has a strong fluorescence and short phosphorescence.

In the second pic the radiation stains - green.

76DEA251-F056-4D12-BF40-F25BB84CC4E9.png 753AD24A-76B2-4F24-B6E4-B7DA522099D0.png 4FA7DA70-CFBC-4E10-A5AA-EDAAB84C4D3D.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results