shape
carat
color
clarity

photographers...show your photos

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/2/2005 11:45:39 PM
Author: websailor
Rockchick,

Out of curiousity since you seemed to say that snow in Amsterdam was rare - do the canals you are showing freeze over in winter and people ice skate on them? Am I thinking of the right country here - I thought the Netherlands was known for bicycling in summer and ice skating in winter????

bicycling is all year round, as you can see in the snowpic, you can see tracks of a bycicle
9.gif
. We cannot go anywhere without our bikes, or as we call them "Stalen ros".. hihi.
Ice skating on the canals is unfortunately, due to the whole "warming of the earth" (i don't know how to say that in a different way in english
emquestion.gif
), not seen very often. I was fotunate enough to experience that when I was younger, +/- 15 years ago. It's a shame 'cause it is very cool and a very unique thing to do. Hopefully, when people start caring more about the environment, it maybe come back.. don't think so though
8.gif

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/3/2005 5:04:23 AM
Author: AGBF
rockchick,

The picture of the snow in Amsterdam is incredible! I hate to keep using the word, ''evocative'', but my vocabulary is not large enough to enable me to come up with another one. That photo evokes a feeling of the peace that comes with a snowfall, the feeling that it is cold outside but that there will be no school the next day and the family can stay home and drink hot cocoa. The world will slow down for a while. Beautiful. Did you take that?

Deborah
hee my reply got eaten up by PS...
33.gif

Thanks
I love it! And you descibed very accurately how I feel when looking at that picture
5.gif
. I did take it, lucky shot though, I was aiming at something else, haha!
I love seeing all the pictures of different countries and cities. It is almost like a mini vacation this thread
9.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2005 7:50:01 AM
Author: Rockchick
Ice skating on the canals is unfortunately, due to the whole ''warming of the earth'' (i don''t know how to say that in a different way in english

There is nothing wrong with saying "the warming of the earth" in English. One can say that due to the warming of the earth, the canals no longer freeze. We do have a phrase that is used for the phenomenon, however, "global warming". So one can also say that due to global warming, the canals no longer freeze.

Deb :)

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
"One can say that due to the warming of the earth, the canals no longer freeze. We do have a phrase that is used for the phenomenon, however, "global warming". So one can also say that due to global warming, the canals no longer freeze."

One can say it, sure.

Rube

Shiny_Rock
These pictures are great! I love seeing so many places, and flowers, in one post.
My contributions are all from Mexico and Guatemala- two of my favorite places to visit!

Tikal, Guatemala

TikalTempleII.jpg

Rube

Shiny_Rock
My fiance at a rest stop in Chiapas, Mexico

JChiapas.jpg

Rube

Shiny_Rock
Palenque, Temple of the Foliated Cross, Mexico

Palenque02.jpg

Rube

Shiny_Rock
An artisan shop in Oaxaca, Mexico

OaxacaRugs.jpg

Rube

Shiny_Rock
A family from El Remate, Guatemala

ElRemate.jpg

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Rube -- I love your picture from Tikal! I''ve studied it but never seen it...perhaps some day! I love how the fog just adds to the air of mystery around the Maya and their civilization.

Thanks for sharing
1.gif

Rube

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/7/2005 2:38:33 PM
Author: Blue824
Rube -- I love your picture from Tikal! I''ve studied it but never seen it...perhaps some day! I love how the fog just adds to the air of mystery around the Maya and their civilization.

Thanks for sharing
1.gif

Blue- Did I read somewhere you were (are?) an Art History major in school? I majored in Painting and Art History too, and that''s where I first really learned about the Maya. Now I am a major Maya buff! And you might as well throw in the Olmec, Aztec, Zapotec, Mixtec....
41.gif
I love them all. Later this summer I''m going down to Belize to work on an actual Maya site!
36.gif

But for now, pictures from my last trip keep me happy.

Here are two more from Tikal: the famous forest shot (also seen in Star Wars IV), and a current excavation.

Tikal03.jpg

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/8/2005 11:04:20 AM
Author: Rube

Date: 6/7/2005 2:38:33 PM
Author: Blue824

Thanks for sharing
1.gif

Blue- Did I read somewhere you were (are?) an Art History major in school? I majored in Painting and Art History too, and that''s where I first really learned about the Maya. Now I am a major Maya buff! And you might as well throw in the Olmec, Aztec, Zapotec, Mixtec....
41.gif
I love them all. Later this summer I''m going down to Belize to work on an actual Maya site!
36.gif

But for now, pictures from my last trip keep me happy.

Here are two more from Tikal: the famous forest shot (also seen in Star Wars IV), and a current excavation.

Yes, I did major in art history (graduated 2004)...so rare to find another person that took that path. My classes primarily focused on ancient and renaissance, however in my electives I took some anthropology and one class was on the Aztec, Inca, Olmec and Maya. So I have to admit, I’m not the most knowledgeable about that area, but I wish I knew more! So interesting! The favorite part of my class was that my teacher & her husband were researchers with the Smithsonian so we got to go to these massive storage facilities and have hands on experience with artifacts found. I wish I could figure out a way to show you the picture of the piece I did a project on, it is inserted into a paper I don''t know how to isolate it as a jpeg. It was a Jaina figurine and it was created out of burnt orange clay, with amazing detail! And vibrant blue and red paints were still visible on the piece! I believe it was from like 800AD, probably give or take 200 years because the Smithsonian had virtually no info on it "officially" listed because it probably came to them through not the most legal ways through the Hirshhorn collection.
Anyway, have an incredible time on your trip! I’d love to hear about it when you get back!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
OK here are some pics from my Alaska trip last year!
The space needle in seattle from below:
ndleunder.jpg

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Mendenhall glacier in Alaska:
canb_canoe.jpg

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Victoria Legislature building at night (view from the hotel):
legis1.jpg

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Frog topiary in the Butchart Gardens in Victoria: (I think this is so cute!)
buttopfrog.jpg

Rube

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I did major in art history (graduated 2004)...so rare to find another person that took that path. My classes primarily focused on ancient and renaissance, however in my electives I took some anthropology and one class was on the Aztec, Inca, Olmec and Maya. So I have to admit, I’m not the most knowledgeable about that area, but I wish I knew more! So interesting! The favorite part of my class was that my teacher & her husband were researchers with the Smithsonian so we got to go to these massive storage facilities and have hands on experience with artifacts found. I wish I could figure out a way to show you the picture of the piece I did a project on, it is inserted into a paper I don''t know how to isolate it as a jpeg. It was a Jaina figurine and it was created out of burnt orange clay, with amazing detail! And vibrant blue and red paints were still visible on the piece! I believe it was from like 800AD, probably give or take 200 years because the Smithsonian had virtually no info on it ''officially'' listed because it probably came to them through not the most legal ways through the Hirshhorn collection.

Anyway, have an incredible time on your trip! I’d love to hear about it when you get back!

Oooh! You are so lucky to get a hands on experience at the Smithsonian. Jaina figures are so interesting.
36.gif

I''ll post some more pictures from the trip to Belize when I return.

-Rube

(Flopkins, Alaska looks so beautiful! I love the glacier.)

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
This is one of my favorite non-glacier pictures from Alaska. It "pulls" me in every time I see it and makes me want to go on a trip with this team! I''m instantly transported from wherever/whatever into some magical place.

This was a wall mural in Ketchikan painted by the local school kids I believe.

small_Alaska_1990_167.jpg

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
I like this water filled hole in a glacier because of the deep blue color. The picture doesn't do it justice.

small_Alaska_1990_186.jpg

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/10/2005 10:56:33 AM
Author: Rube
Oooh! You are so lucky to get a hands on experience at the Smithsonian. Jaina figures are so interesting.
36.gif

I'll post some more pictures from the trip to Belize when I return.

-Rube

(Flopkins, Alaska looks so beautiful! I love the glacier.)
Well, I don't know how many people are interested in seeing this, its not nearly as exciting or as beautiful in the picture as it was in person. It is also a slight diversion from the nature theme of this thread, sorry! Rube, I figured you might enjoy this becaue of your background in Mayan art.

(ETA: Once again, this is from between 600-1000 AD, found on the island of Jaina, most likely from a grave. He may have been holding a weapon in the one arm that is missing. Minus the small chips and the arm, it is well-preserved.)

Thank you to Belle & Websailor, both of whom quickly volunteered to help me convert the photo in my paper into a jpeg so I could share.

jainafiguine.jpg

Rube

Shiny_Rock
Well, I don''t know how many people are interested in seeing this, its not nearly as exciting or as beautiful in the picture as it was in person. It is also a slight diversion from the nature theme of this thread, sorry! Rube, I figured you might enjoy this becaue of your background in Mayan art.

(ETA: Once again, this is from between 600-1000 AD, found on the island of Jaina, most likely from a grave. He may have been holding a weapon in the one arm that is missing. Minus the small chips and the arm, it is well-preserved.)

Thank you to Belle & Websailor, both of whom quickly volunteered to help me convert the photo in my paper into a jpeg so I could share.

Oooh! He has so many details and such long legs!
37.gif

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
this is too fun. great pictures everyone! here are a few additions. some a little artsy/edited...but that is what i enjoy!

for starters. mara... your mentioned b&w a ways back.... here is an interesting one..

2199548-lg.jpg

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
and a little artsy..

2237515-lg.jpg

boomstick

Rough_Rock
My first post on PS, and it has to do with pictures! Not to worry, my diamond story will show up soon.

These shots are from a trip to Scotland. The first set depicts the northeastern region alongside the North Sea, and the second set (in addition to the North Sea area) is of the Willow Tea Room in Glasgow.

All images copyright boomstick.

PS_Pics1.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey boomstick!
35.gif
welcome to ps! great pics
2.gif
glad you decided to post here.
36.gif
(can''t wait for the diamond show)
i''ll have to admit, even though there has been much talk of italy around here lately, my first destination of choice is still scotland
1.gif
thanks for sharing!

boomstick

Rough_Rock
thanks belle! and a big thank you for presenting the opportunity to show some of my favorite shots of scotland. i recommend going in the summer or very early fall when it''s not too cold or rainy yet.
37.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you are quite welcome boomstick!
2.gif
i hope you will share more!
i love this photo thread......such talent!
36.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
What fantastic photos everyone has posted!

I so wish that I had time to actually take pictures like I used to.
39.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is an moorea sunrise image that is my desktop on my laptop, so imagine this stretched out 15.5" on your computer screen, and looking at it every morning when you log on...you can even see the grains of sand! it makes us want to go back to tahiti so badly...!! figured i'd post it for others, tried to make it as big as possible for PS so you could appreciate the details!

moora sunrise.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results