shape
carat
color
clarity

Photo tips

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t get my camera to focus or bring out my stone''s true appearance. Is it my camera or is it me?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
What kind of camera do you have, kribbie? Are you using the macro setting?

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
If your camera is a point and shoot, as opposed to an SLR, it may have a macro mode, which means close focus.
On many cameras this mode is represented by a flower symbol on a dial or on a menu screen.
Check your owner's manual for the closest focusing distance and get out your ruler so the ring is not closer to the camera than that.

Next, just like the iris in your eye your camera has an aperture that opens and closes to let in the right amount of light.
When it closes down to a smaller hole a side effect is the area in focus is deeper.
That means more stuff in front of and behind the point of focus will also be in focus.
This is probably what you want so use more light, the brightest you can manage.
This will force the aperture to close down to a small hole.

Sometimes what looks out of focus can actually be blur from camera or subject movement.
At high magnification vibration is magnified too.
7.gif

Place your ring on a table.
If you don't have a tripod place your camera on the table too.
Lower or raise camera or ring by putting books or paper under them to position the ring in the picture.

Even touching the camera to take the pic can cause vibration so check your owner's manual to see if your camera can take the picture with a timer.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I asked a similar question and got some good responses. Click here for thread I am still working on it, but need to find a place outside that is safe. I just walked my spess into the direct sunlight and it was so bright I had to turn away. That will be fun to photograph :).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results