shape
carat
color
clarity

Tried some new camera tricks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So on TL''s tread, we were discussing some trics to take photos of spessarites, which a lot of us are having trouble with. I tried some of them. I thought I would show off a little. My camera is a Canon Power Show Digital Elph

1) At night - on my computer case. Mode digital macro-no flash. Had a halogen lamp on and a lamp with a regular light bulb. I balanced the camera on the camera case to keep it steady. I am very happy how this turned out, this is as close to the color at night I can get....still no glow.

IMGspess_1064.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Second picture. Stone in case, on side. Camera I believe is on the table. Same time of day, same lighting, same settings. The faceting does not show up, but the color is pretty accurate for night time, and getting the color at night has been a challenge.

IMGspess_1065.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
On this pic, I took the stone and put it back in the computer case, balanced the camera on the side, and I think I used my hand to cover the light source. This is the best glow shot I can get.

IMGspess_1066.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So I tried a few this afternoon, at about 1pm. It is overcast, and I did the shots indoors by a large window. No artificial light. Still using the digital macro setting. I put the stone on my i-phone. It has a rubber case, so I wedged it in the hole (that exposes the camera on the phone). Still got a little tilt window. I could not take a shot with the camera right over the stone because they came out fuzzy (but the color was great). Here is the camera at an angle. I think that the extreme close up is pulling the different colors of the stone apart. I see one shade of orange with my eye.

IMGspess_1085.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
This one I used the manual macro mode. I used some objects to keep the camera still. I used my hand to partially cover the light source. Did not get most accurate color (but not bad), but I got the concave faceting.

Anyways, I would love to see other people''s camera tricks.

IMGspess_1087.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great new pictures of your gorgeous Spess. They really show the brilliance of your beautiful stone.
36.gif
36.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
is this the gem in your avatar? it looks so yummy I can eat it!
9.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
D&T - yes, that is RHs picture in my aviator. Still the best pic I have of the stone. Please don't eat my gem
8.gif

Linda - Thank you, these are better than my previous ones, but still to not totally capture what I see.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LtlFirecracker,
I had a canon and the macro mode completely washed out color and never showed the true color of my stones. After I got my Nikon, it was much better. I think the same thing is happening with this one. You obviously have a very beautiful stone by the look of the vendor shot in your avatar, but the photos seem to be washing out the color. Also try some daytime, sunlight shots. Your stone is simply too beautiful to not have pictures that do it justice.

Thank you for the pictures!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That color looks so yummy!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
TL -

I know I need a better camera. I am trying to make due with what I have. In the next year or two, I would like to get a used "higher end" camera. You know one you can change the lens out. I will look into all the brands than. This cannon is only 2 years old, so I've got to keep it for awhile. I will try some sun light shots after "June Gloom" goes away (who ever thought June would be the worst year in San Diego??)

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
LtlFirecracker,

I shot this stone several months ago for a friend my first on only Spessartite that I''ve photographed. A few tricks: The stone is sitting on a shiney black lucite square. The upsidedown black V at the top is simply another lucite square below and behind the stone in front - it makes a dramatic shot because it adds the illusion of perspective - I was just playing around. The stone ended up needing to be recut because of the small fracture you can see at the left crown.

I''m happy to add my two cents worth of advice on photographs, but from what I''ve seen in the Colored Stone forum most of the people don''t need help at all. The photos are all pretty good! I have to warn you, I''m not very technically inclined so any tricks or procedures are fairly basic.

Carriere-Spessartite-4NCF.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeffrey,
Can you come over and take pictures of my stones??? WOW!!!

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
tourmaline_lover

Well, I"m on the west coast and it might be a drive, but sure. Not until the kids finish up with school this week though.

1.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Do you photograph all those stones on your website? Those are some great pics.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is such a dramatic shot. Kind of reminds me of the film "2001, A Space Odyssey." Threadjack over.

monolith.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Totally, it reminds me of the days I used to draw, it was all about perspective and playing around to make the picture look more 3D

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2009 9:37:08 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
TL -

I know I need a better camera. I am trying to make due with what I have. In the next year or two, I would like to get a used 'higher end' camera. You know one you can change the lens out. I will look into all the brands than. This cannon is only 2 years old, so I've got to keep it for awhile. I will try some sun light shots after 'June Gloom' goes away (who ever thought June would be the worst year in San Diego??)
I just got my camera for $130 on amazon.com. Something about the setting sun really brings out the most in some gems. I really like this shot taken outside, the stone faced away from the sun. Since you asked for tricks. Ignore my hideous fingernail.

TLScissorsAqua2.JPG

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/10/2009 11:41:34 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Do you photograph all those stones on your website? Those are some great pics.

Yes, I''m learning as I go though. Every stone is different. Thank you too.

It''s a little bit of "smoke and mirrors" I suppose... and it give me an excuse to play around with gemstones!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL - I will keep the Nikon in mind. For taking pics of landscapes and people, my canon is great, I really get great photos. I was not really thinking about photographing gems when I bought that camera. Hopefully in a few months I will have a back yard and will feel safe taking my loose stones outside.

Jeffery - I know how you feel - I had fun playing today

mochi

Ideal_Rock
WOW...very nice pictures!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 12:24:42 AM
Author: mochi
WOW...very nice pictures!
What are your tricks for photos Mochi since LtlF was asking for them. You take some of the most gorgeous photos.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
I like your aquamarine (minus the setting
9.gif
). The blue at the edges show a very bright and vivid colour devoid of gray.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firecracker,
Capturing orange on camera seems to be giving a lot of PSers fits so I think it is a fairly common problem. A good camera also helps. Mine’s a pretty inexpensive $100 digicam. Before TL purchased her new Nikon, her pictures were all dull but wow, her gemstones really pop in her newest pictures.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2009 11:22:55 PM
Author: Jeffrey Hunt
LtlFirecracker,

I shot this stone several months ago for a friend my first on only Spessartite that I''ve photographed. A few tricks: The stone is sitting on a shiney black lucite square. The upsidedown black V at the top is simply another lucite square below and behind the stone in front - it makes a dramatic shot because it adds the illusion of perspective - I was just playing around. The stone ended up needing to be recut because of the small fracture you can see at the left crown.

I''m happy to add my two cents worth of advice on photographs, but from what I''ve seen in the Colored Stone forum most of the people don''t need help at all. The photos are all pretty good! I have to warn you, I''m not very technically inclined so any tricks or procedures are fairly basic.
Woah, now THAT’s what I call gem photography. It looks very professional!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 8:49:19 AM
Author: Chrono
TL,
I like your aquamarine (minus the setting
9.gif
). The blue at the edges show a very bright and vivid colour devoid of gray.
Thanks Chrono!!
I think the setting sun is a great light to take pictures in. I also took a mean picture of it in the aqua thread, but I think the setting is putting people off. In any case, for some strange reason, in this lighting, the blue color really stood out. In other lighting, it tends to go a bit more grey. I never noticed that aquas could have a color shift like that. Probably because I wear my cuprians so much, and I forget about my poor aquas.

I would love to see LtlFirecracker''s spess in the setting sun!!
31.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 8:51:42 AM
Firecracker,
Capturing orange on camera seems to be giving a lot of PSers fits so I think it is a fairly common problem. A good camera also helps. Mine’s a pretty inexpensive $100 digicam. Before TL purchased her new Nikon, her pictures were all dull but wow, her gemstones really pop in her newest pictures.
Be honest now, my pictures totally stunk before I got my new cheapy Nikon!!
14.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 8:51:42 AM
Firecracker,

It is funny. The camera can capture my true eye color (which is not an easy thing), but no a gem''s color.

TL-I will try to see if I can find a safe place to photograph it outside.

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
I saw a trick gem photography trick awhile back that was simple and elegant. The photographer was shooting piece of gem rough but this could work very well with a finished stone too.

He took a regular styrofoam cup turned it on end and placed the stone towards the mouth for the photograph. I believed he used early morning sun but you could play around by placing it in partial shade or simple turning it around until the gem looks good in the sunlight. The trick is to frame the shot so you get in close and most or all of the background is the white of the styrofoam cup.

What this does is basically set up a mini "photographers tent" under natural lighting conditions - which is the best. It will cost all of 39 cents too. If you have a camera with a macro setting all the better because it will help blur the background just a bit. Of course you''ll have to play around with the best orientation etc.

I suppose a small styrofoam cooler on end could work too, but the light might not come through the styrofoam the same as a cup and the positioning for light would be different.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results