shape
carat
color
clarity

Peridot and other green gemstones

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Hi all, it's been a long time since I've frequented the CS forum, but I have a question I'm hoping you all can help with.

My mom and sister share a birthstone: peridot. They both love it set in white metal vs. yellow metal. The problem is that that they have bought cheap sterling silver rings and when the peridot gets scratched and they want to replace the stone, it's hardly worth the metal work costs.

So I'm wondering if there are other gemstone options that are a similar pale green that they could use in place of peridot, that may hold up a bit better. I'm also thinking they could get simple white gold settings that would be easier for jewelers to work with.

I've looked at mint garnet and green sapphire, but not sure where would be a good source for these at a reasonable price.

I've already tried convincing them that peridot is not really a "daily wear" kind of stone, but without other options, I'm not very convincing.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you know that Spinel is now officially another option for an August birthstone? And more suitable for every day wear.

But if they love the green of peridot, I prefer green garnets to sapphire (although the later is more suitable to every day wear). What size and price range are you looking for?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you're looking for something which looks a little similar to peridot, I'd try chrysoberyl. Though most are yellowish, you can often find examples which are green and very close to the color of peridot. It's harder and tougher than spinel and downright cheap in comparison, at least for gems under 2 carats or so.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrysoberyl can look peridoty. For instance: https://www.mastercutgems.com/Products-296-Chrysoberyl_and_Danburite/8433-DANA-CHRYSOBERYL_Natural_2_49_ct-Gem.php?FromPage=1

And as mentioned, spinel was recently named an August birthstone. Happened this August, which was really nice for me because I have an August birthday and already had my pink spinel ring in the works for my present! But It sounds like spinel might not be something they're interested in.

Of course, both are not easily available as premade rings but they pop up on LoupeTroop now and then and can be found on ebay/etsy. And if you buy stones in calibrated sizes you can really easily get inexpensive stock settings for them.

Vickigigi's 5th ring listed here has a chrysoberyl: https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings/white-gold-slash-platinum-colored-stone-rings-9-items

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael_E|1477872221|4092122 said:
If you're looking for something which looks a little similar to peridot, I'd try chrysoberyl. Though most are yellowish, you can often find examples which are green and very close to the color of peridot. It's harder and tougher than spinel and downright cheap in comparison, at least for gems under 2 carats or so.
I'll let Niel sell you on these. Cheap in small sizes, very brilliant and durable. Can range from yellow to green and all shades in-between.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1477924126|4092282 said:
Michael_E|1477872221|4092122 said:
I'll let Niel sell you on these. Cheap in small sizes, very brilliant and durable. Can range from yellow to green and all shades in-between.

Hahahaha I bit my tongue on this one because I am not a syrong believer in fake birthstones. If their birthstone is peridot then chrysoberyl means nothing. I mean that's not the end of the world but if they wanted it to be meaningful then get a spinel. That is their birthstone and wearable.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1477927357|4092309 said:
Hahahaha I bit my tongue on this one because I am not a syrong believer in fake birthstones. If their birthstone is peridot then chrysoberyl means nothing. I mean that's not the end of the world but if they wanted it to be meaningful then get a spinel. That is their birthstone and wearable.

See, I think birthstones are a silly enough concept so that it doesn't really matter if it's fake or not. But if it does matter to Rubybeth's family and they don't like spinel, older more traditional August birthstones are sardonyx and carnelian, and you can get lovely intaglio or cabochon rings for either for not too much money.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cabs or buff-top stones ought to be possible to re-polish a couple of times, if the setting allows.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, all these other green gems look like good options. Thanks!!

I think they have both come to like the green of peridot, though I could mention that spinel is now also their birth stone, and that it comes in a range of colors (mine is purple), but I have a feeling it's that green that they like and then also the conversation piece aspect when people comment on their rings, "Oh, it's my birthstone," y'know?

Green spinel? Does that exist?
How about demantoid?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
normanintheskywithsapphires|1478083980|4092901 said:
Green spinel? Does that exist?
How about demantoid?

I've only seen green synthetic spinel in antique rings. I don't know if it occurs naturally ever, or if what is advertised as synthetic spinel is even really spinel in those cases.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It so happens that the natural greens of spinel fall in my range of color between green and blue - so I haven't yet forgotten that green spinel exists, somewhat ...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results