shape
carat
color
clarity

Performance evaluation of Lucida vs POH..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Megadane

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi all,

I am really excited to be finalizing our engagement ring..a few weeks ago I asked specific questions about a Princess of Hearts diamond and was so happy with the helpful answers that I am going to ask for assistance one last time:)
My dream ring has always been the Lucida, I have been trying them on for 4 years:) I have read through many threads on varying opinions of T&Co and realize that I would be paying a premium, but I have been a customer for years and am fine with that, as is my boyfriend.

We are making a trip to view the ring in two weeks as we don't have a store near to us so I was hoping for a heads up on it's potential performance.
I addition we have both seen the POH and were really impressed with the stone but when designing the setting I kept 'specifying' to make it as 'close to the Lucida as possible' without breaking any copyright laws. I simply could not stop the Lucida obsession.

The cost of the Lucida is roughly $3500-$4000 more than the POH in a custom setting we were considering and is still on budget.

So, can you help a newbie with the parameters?
Thank you in advance!!

POH-1.86 carats, I SI1, 7.15 x 7.13 x 4.93
Cut-Excellent
Symmetry-Very good
Polish-Very good
Table-56.6%
Crown Height-14.6%
Total Depth -69.2%
Pavillion DP-51.2%
Pavilliion Angle-40.8%

Lucida-1.62 carats, I VS1, 6.82 X 6.69 X 4.54
Cut-Excellent
Polish-Excellent
Symmetry-Very good
Table-63%
Crown Height-14.5%
Total Depth-67.9%
Pavillion DP-49.6%
Pavillion angle-40.6%

edited to add cut,clarity, polish and symmetry specs.

MrT

Rough_Rock
I can''t help you compare the performance of the two -- but if you''ve really had your heart set on the Lucida for the past four years, I say you should go for the Lucida! (disclaimer: I have a biased view, as I recently bought a Lucida)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get the Lucida. I''d do a Princess of Hearts for a pendant, earrings, almost anything else ... but for your *engagement ring* ... get the one you''ve been dreaming of for four years. The P.O.H. could outshine it in every environment but it''ll never BE the Lucida, yanno? (Not saying the POH *would* outshine it, they''re both lovely cuts).

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I very much doubt a Lucida would perform as well as the PoH''s but that is part of the problem - there is no easy way to do a side by side comparison.
However if you can buy and return the PoH''s and take it to Tiffany in the same lighting you will then be able to decide between the emotional and the rational.

If you do that please post the outcome for us

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/20/2009 2:38:57 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
I very much doubt a Lucida would perform as well as the PoH''s but that is part of the problem - there is no easy way to do a side by side comparison.
However if you can buy and return the PoH''s and take it to Tiffany in the same lighting you will then be able to decide between the emotional and the rational.

If you do that please post the outcome for us
I cant help you compare on the actual two stones at subject...
But here is an Aset & HDR of a common 0.50ct Lucida.

Can someone post an Aset of the other?

HDRlucidaAset.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Garry!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the answer is pretty clear on the Aset results...
But your initial question was about performance..., now it depends what you define as performance for you?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can directly measure the level of light return from a princess cut using ImaGem technology, but when the performance is somewhat in the same league, from Very Good to Superior, one must ask the client which they prefer the looks of. Light return tells something important about how the cut and transparency of a diamond handles light, but it does not directly dictate how individuals choose what they deem most beautiful. Beauty is a subjective decision best left to consumers.

There is no doubt that we can separate lower performing diamonds from the rest of the pack and know with a high degree of certainty that they are less attractive to most observers, but it would be too large a step of faith to say that digital testing is the right way to choose blindly. Digital results may one day add to what we consider to be "grading", but I would hope that the final choice always belongs to the end user. It is in no one's interest to totally commoditze diamond selection. In spite of all of our efforts, diamonds are a natural product and must be individually crafted resulting in infinite variety, not in total standardization.

We may someday have larger colorless synthetic, man-made diamonds available. I can't imagine there being much demand for them if each one looked identical to the next. Where would the individuality of the product and the romantic side of the gift then reside. It would be just like an expensive cubic zirconia, mass produced, nothing special, and hardly meaningful as a gift.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/20/2009 4:34:43 PM
Author: oldminer
I can directly measure the level of light return from a princess cut using ImaGem technology, but when the performance is somewhat in the same league, from Very Good to Superior, one must ask the client which they prefer the looks of. Light return tells something important about how the cut and transparency of a diamond handles light, but it does not directly dictate how individuals choose what they deem most beautiful. Beauty is a subjective decision best left to consumers.

There is no doubt that we can separate lower performing diamonds from the rest of the pack and know with a high degree of certainty that they are less attractive to most observers, but it would be too large a step of faith to say that digital testing is the right way to choose blindly. Digital results may one day add to what we consider to be ''grading'', but I would hope that the final choice always belongs to the end user. It is in no one''s interest to totally commoditze diamond selection. In spite of all of our efforts, diamonds are a natural product and must be individually crafted resulting in infinite variety, not in total standardization.

We may someday have larger colorless synthetic, man-made diamonds available. I can''t imagine there being much demand for them if each one looked identical to the next. Where would the individuality of the product and the romantic side of the gift then reside. It would be just like an expensive cubic zirconia, mass produced, nothing special, and hardly meaningful as a gift.
Nicely said Dave...
36.gif

Collee

Shiny_Rock
The answer is clear in the Aset results. However, you have to make the decision that is right for you. If the Lucida is and has always been your dream ring, then I think that your choice has already been made.

I do agree with Gary in re: to comparing the POH with the Lucida. Not sure where you are located but at all feasible, take a trip to Long Island. Tiffanys is located about 30 minutes north of GOG. GOG is on the South Shore in Massapequa and Tiffanys is located on the North Shore at the Americana in Manhasset. Spend some time with Jon (IMO a real life experince is much more educational that online) and then head up to Tiffanys.

Although I am by no means an expert, I can go to GOG and view the POH for you. I am actually deciding btwn a POH and a cushion cut for my upgrade.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As much as I believe ASET results help make sound choices, I think it is a mis-statement to say an ASET image makes a choice "clear". Like most of our other visualization tools, I believe the ASET is a good screening device, but not a choosing device. In some cases, especially round diamonds, one could rely on it as a safe method, but I think fancy shapes, with possibly a few minor exceptions, it is an indicator, not a choosing device with "clear" interpretation agreed to by all. It is just one more tool without a universally accepted standard behind it. It does have the AGSL backing, which we agree is important, but in the overall scheme of things, AGSL is one reasonably well known player, but not an unbiased global standard creation body.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
She already has the POH in her hand.

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Oh really? She stated that she and her FH had seen the POH. Didn''t realize that they presently have the stone in hand. If that''s the case, great!

Can''t wait to read about the comparision. Good luck!

Megadane

Rough_Rock
Trade
Wow..thanks so much everyone! Really great information and I truly appreciate it!
Stonecold helped me tremendously with questions that I had about the POH but I actually don''t have the stone in hand. We were still planning the setting so nothing was concrete..we are also two hours from the nearest Tiffany''s and an hour (in the other direction) from the POH.
Ahh..the joys of living in Canada!
I don''t think a side by side comparison is a possibility..wouldn''t the unset stone perform a bit better than a set stone regardless?

So, someone suggested to separate the emotional from the rational. I know this is so very true in my scenario, especially since I have collected quite a few Tiffany pieces over the years and had never thought I would be given a chance to have a Lucida. Hey, I am just so thrilled with being engaged, I''ve waited 6 years :)

I''m trying to interpret the results on the similar Lucida..how does it seem? Is it a dud?

Thanks so much, this is a really helpful community:)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/20/2009 9:33:51 PM
Author: Megadane
Hey, I am just so thrilled with being engaged, I''ve waited 6 years :)
aha - the really important thing is people not carbon

I''m trying to interpret the results on the similar Lucida..how does it seem? Is it a dud? Sorry, you do not know how to interpret the red blue green images, which as Dave atlas mentions should be used as a rejection tool - the PoH is very good and definitely worth consideration, the Lucida from DiaGem is a border line and if I were buying diamonds for stock I would not consider a stone with that ASET image (others might and may prove me wrong, but they would be hard pressed to show me evidence to prove i am wrong).

Thanks so much, this is a really helpful community:)

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 5:21:22 PM
Author: oldminer
As much as I believe ASET results help make sound choices, I think it is a mis-statement to say an ASET image makes a choice ''clear''. Like most of our other visualization tools, I believe the ASET is a good screening device, but not a choosing device. In some cases, especially round diamonds, one could rely on it as a safe method, but I think fancy shapes, with possibly a few minor exceptions, it is an indicator, not a choosing device with ''clear'' interpretation agreed to by all. It is just one more tool without a universally accepted standard behind it. It does have the AGSL backing, which we agree is important, but in the overall scheme of things, AGSL is one reasonably well known player, but not an unbiased global standard creation body.
It is a lot more "clear" when comparing an ASET of the same cut to that of another (princess to another princess), and much less "clear" when comparing the ASET of one type of cut to a totally different cut (Round to a Cushion). What is "clear" in this case is that one of them shows superior light return as observed by the ASET scope and that the results aren''t close enough to say it is a matter of personal preference, the POH is "clearly" better. Whether this equates to an ultimate choice and determining factor for the OP is way too speculative and I wouldn''t say the choice is as easy as technically comparing two ASETs.

OP just to be clear as well tradespeople (appraisors, dealers, cutters, designers) are not supposed to comment on other vendors stones in a subjective manner, but regular posters are allowed to give their opinions. That is why you see only technical and general comments from several posters here.

I would suggest if the side by side is important enough you find a local appraisor and have both shipped to them so you can make that elusive comparison. For a few hundred dollars you will give yourself the comparison you were looking for.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
OIC.

Ya, the ASET of the lucida does not look that good to me. Well, you will get the see it in person.

MrT

Rough_Rock
The ASETs aren't ASETs of the actual diamonds the OP is considering, they're ASETs of other diamonds with the same type of cut... (or maybe the POH is the actual thing based on the specs that were posted? but the lucida isn't).

So it's ok to use these to make a general determination as to how the POH should perfrom versus the lucida -- but is it fair to place a lot of weight on the relative ASET performance when these aren't the actual diamonds in question?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depending on how good the cut quality control of the Lucida is I guess, if it is branded I would expect it to be pretty consistent. The POH ASET is also not the ASET of the actual stone the OP is considering but POH apparently all comes with IS and Hearts images and they all look pretty consistent to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results