shape
carat
color
clarity

Perfection By the Numbers Revisited

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
A few weeks back I ran a thread, Perfection By the Numbers, wanting to learn what might be a perfectly cut diamond on paper. I had spotted one who's depth, table size, crown/pav angles, and LGF length looked like it might be the perfectly cut diamond. In that thread I also learned about azimuth angles and other things. Jon from GOG told me the stone I was holding up as an example was exceptionally 'tight' in it's angles. So I decided I wanted to see for myself. Since it's a small, low color diamind it wasn't expensive at all, so I bought it. I'll be looking for another stone with similar specs, but more variance in azimuth angles for comparison now.

I wasn't sure what to expect since I rarely buy stone in this color range, but the cut on this thing is so awesome it just sparkles like nobody's business. I figured it's only right for me to show some pics of it, so you PS'er don't have to send the Bling Police over here after me....

LW-GOG48ptinside.jpg

LW-GOG48pt-Arrows.jpg

LW-GOG48pt-Fire1.jpg

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! Now that's a crisp stone, ya know what I mean? 8) It looks dynamite! :bigsmile:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
So I took it outside and had a little fun with it.......

LW-GOG48pt-DandLfire3.jpg

LW-GOG48pt-DandLfire2.jpg

LW-GOG48pt-DandLfire1.jpg

LW-GOG48pt-DandLinSun.jpg

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
SWEET! It's really a beaut! :love:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
SparkleNut said:
WOW! Now that's a crisp stone, ya know what I mean? 8) It looks dynamite! :bigsmile:

Thanks, I like it too. You're right, it's crisp and soooo precise. But it still has lots of personality. As many times as I've loved other peoples bling in colors like this I've always sought either very high or very low (S or lower) color. This one could make me rethink that. It's a 48 point L-VS2.

Here's a few more....

LW-GOG48pt-Handshot.jpg

LW-GOG48pt-DandLsideways2.jpg

LW-GOG48pt-DandLsideways1.jpg

LW-GOG48pt-DandLfaceup.jpg

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
Ya know, I really like the warmth it shows from the side. I have a .50ct marquise that's around an K or L that I'm thinking about resetting. You said you are looking for another stone about the same? Are you thinking about another pair of earrings?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
SparkleNut said:
Ya know, I really like the warmth it shows from the side. I have a .50ct marquise that's around an K or L that I'm thinking about resetting. You said you are looking for another stone about the same? Are you thinking about another pair of earrings?

Actually what I'm looking for is another stone that's as 'loose' on the azimuth angles in the helium report as this one is 'tight'. The other one needs to be similar size and color just so I'm comparing apples to apples. Beyomd that I have no idea what I'll do with them, but probably not earrings. I have my ACA's that you've seen, plus a pair of BGD studs on thier way now. That's all the holes I have in my ears. I've spotted and L and an M that are a bit larger that might be what I'm looking for, but I'll have to inquire.

How are you thinking to set the marquise? Maybe a high white halo?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, it's here! :sun:

So what do you think of this example of perfection by the numbers? I'd love to hear a more complete review - do you see anything that surprises you? Is it what you'd expect? How do you find it compares in performance to your WF/BGDs?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Yssie said:
Oh, it's here! :sun:

So what do you think of this example of perfection by the numbers? I'd love to hear a more complete review - do you see anything that surprises you? Is it what you'd expect? How do you find it compares in performance to your WF/BGDs?

Hi Yssie! :wavey:

Those are some darn good questions. I'll have to look at it longer and in different lights before I can give a really good review, but the first thing I think of whan I look at it is just how good, and precise, the pattern you see in it is, and that it has an incredible amount of sparkle. Some of that sparkle I attribute to the 81% LGF's which I really thought I was going to love and I do. It turns a small tinted stone into a little fireball.

I think the only thing that surprises me at all is the amount of rainbowy colors the L color causes it to have. I'm going to take it into different light environments over the next few days and get a better feel for it and then post a better review.

Comparing it to my other Eightstars, ACA's and BGD's (when they get here) is going to be difficult because they're all in the high color range and this little sparkler in an L. A little Apples to Oranges there, but I'm going to try to look at and just compare cuts. I know I promised an Eightstar to ACA comparison, which I'll do when I get my smaller Eightstar back from, of all places, Whiteflash in my new pendant with a couple new ACA's. But then the comparison will be Eightstar/WF ACA/GOG sig/BGD sig. Now all I need is a CBI stone to add to the mix.... :naughty:

One thing I will do is offer side-by-side pics in different lighting, and if anyone has a specific request I'll just need to know and I'll try to get the pics.

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I can't wait to see what you come up with. =) I got a quote from BGD about the bezel bridge solitaire set east west, so I'm thining about that, but I'm still looking around and seeing what all I can find.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
It's really a pretty diamond -- I love the L color in this size and I can see the stone's lovely longer lower facets :love: :love: :love:
Have you compared it to your 8* underneath spotlighting -- that's where I think you'd see the biggest difference. Those longer lower facets will just pop under that light. I think it would be interesting to see that GOG L under a gemscope.

As for setting it...I'd collect 5 stones in the L-M color, .40 - .50 carat range and make a stunning 5-stone ring -- yummy!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Portree said:
It's really a pretty diamond -- I love the L color in this size and I can see the stone's lovely longer lower facets :love: :love: :love:
Have you compared it to your 8* underneath spotlighting -- that's where I think you'd see the biggest difference. Those longer lower facets will just pop under that light. I think it would be interesting to see that GOG L under a gemscope.

As for setting it...I'd collect 5 stones in the L-M color, .40 - .50 carat range and make a stunning 5-stone ring -- yummy!

Portree I just thought I'd let you know that I finally got the comparison pics you mentioned here and I'll get them posted here as soon as I can. The results might surprise you. :wavey:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hmm, I was suprised that the color difference from above wasn't really obvious from a D to an L...that suprised me. It's a beauty...can't wait to see what you do with it.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire said:
Hmm, I was suprised that the color difference from above wasn't really obvious from a D to an L...that suprised me. It's a beauty...can't wait to see what you do with it.

The question of what I'm going to do with this little pretty has finally been decided. It leaves tomorrow going back to GOG as a trade-in for this stone here. .80 ct D-I1 It's a beautifully cut stone and I studied it with my ASET and IS to learn more about cut and now it's going to find it's next home. I'll miss the little thing. ::)

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Such a pretty fireball! How's it going over there?

Lori

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a little firecracker isnt it! Beautiful stone! I'm glad you are finding a fun hobby to distract yourself while you are
over there!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Andelain said:
yennyfire said:

The question of what I'm going to do with this little pretty has finally been decided. It leaves tomorrow going back to GOG as a trade-in for this stone here. .80 ct D-I1 It's a beautifully cut stone and I studied it with my ASET and IS to learn more about cut and now it's going to find it's next home. I'll miss the little thing. ::)

Hmmm.....am I seeing a three-stone, high-color, I1 clarity ring in your future, Andelain?

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
GEEZE! Has it been that many weeks since I've logged in? But I can't wait to see your new stone you've traded up for. Could you imagine a three stone. Lovely! 8)

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Portree said:
Andelain said:
Hmmm.....am I seeing a three-stone, high-color, I1 clarity ring in your future, Andelain?

No, Portree, I don't do 3-stones. They don't look right at on my short thick hands. I need designs at least as long as they are wide. Besides, I don't have any unemployed, homeless little stones for the sides. That little 'D' that WF was holding ended up across from a JA True-Hearts 'E' in a pair of dangly earrings. But since you want to know about the .80 I-1 I'll spill the beans.....

I have a man in my life that wants very much to get married. I don't know yet if I will, but the possibility is there. When I saw him in September I showed him my ring with the .84ct WF ACA and he loves the ring. I had the idea have a copy made of my ring in his size since the style could be worn by a man or a woman. He loves that idea, especially since my ring is one of a kind. So a couple weeks ago I was trolling HPD's and GOG's site's (among others) and spotted a couple of stones that got the little wheels turning in my head.

I asked Wink about an F-I1 he had listed and he called it in, but the inclusion was in a bad place and I ended up declining the stone. GOG had this pretty little 'D' that was clean except a feather that can be completely hidden by the gold overlapping. Kind of hard to pass up as it's $2k less than I paid for my .84ct. It'll be mounted in a http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/lilly-diamond-solitaire-58.htm until I decide I need it for other uses.... :wink2: That way I get to enjoy it from now until whenever, ifever.:Up_to_something: :naughty:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire said:

yennyfire, I read your post wrong. I was thinking you said the difference in color WAS obvious, and I agreed with you. To me the difference is screamingly obvious. Take a look at these pics here, the first on the 'L' was taken out side on an over cast mid-afternoon alongside my .84 ct 'D' taken from the side. The second one was the 'L' taken next to a .46 ct D'SI-1 (Blue Nile Signature) while standing in the shade on a brighter day. Then I turned those two sideways in the sun. Lastly I had both 'D's with the 'L' in the sun.

GOG-DsandL-outside.jpg

GOG-DandL-outsideInSun.jpg

GOG-DandL-outside-Faceup.jpg

GOG-DandL-outside.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
loriken214 said:

Lori

Yes it is, I'm going to miss it. That cut really was perfection. Too bad I didn't like the color.

It's going OK, except the locals keep trying to blow up the base and off us all! :angryfire: I've spent some quality time in bunkers around here. :nono:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Andelain said:
Portree said:
Andelain said:

No, Portree, I don't do 3-stones. They don't look right at on my short thick hands. I need designs at least as long as they are wide. Besides, I don't have any unemployed, homeless little stones for the sides. That little 'D' that WF was holding ended up across from a JA True-Hearts 'E' in a pair of dangly earrings. But since you want to know about the .80 I-1 I'll spill the beans.....

I have a man in my life that wants very much to get married. I don't know yet if I will, but the possibility is there. When I saw him in September I showed him my ring with the .84ct WF ACA and he loves the ring. I had the idea have a copy made of my ring in his size since the style could be worn by a man or a woman. He loves that idea, especially since my ring is one of a kind. So a couple weeks ago I was trolling HPD's and GOG's site's (among others) and spotted a couple of stones that got the little wheels turning in my head.

I asked Wink about an F-I1 he had listed and he called it in, but the inclusion was in a bad place and I ended up declining the stone. GOG had this pretty little 'D' that was clean except a feather that can be completely hidden by the gold overlapping. Kind of hard to pass up as it's $2k less than I paid for my .84ct. It'll be mounted in a http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/lilly-diamond-solitaire-58.htm until I decide I need it for other uses.... :wink2: That way I get to enjoy it from now until whenever, ifever.:Up_to_something: :naughty:

Wow -- that's some (potentially) good news!! Thanks for sharing. Yup, Wink's got a 1.08 E, I1 with strong blue fluorescence that I have to physically restrain myself from picking up the phone and asking him about (I'm loving the idea of high color with SBF) but what's stopping me is that I'm very spoiled with my current eye clean I1 and don't know if I will be that lucky again. So good for you finding the GOG stone. It looks really nice and a great price, too.

Saying a little prayer for your safety over there! :wavey:

eta: 3-stones don't work on my hands either (short, size 7.75 fingers) but I did have visions of you setting the GOG I1 with the Infinity I1 and your 8-star I1 in the center...what a ring that would have been!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Portree said:
Andelain said:
Wow -- that's some (potentially) good news!! Thanks for sharing. Yup, Wink's got a 1.08 E, I1 with strong blue fluorescence that I have to physically restrain myself from picking up the phone and asking him about (I'm loving the idea of high color with SBF) but what's stopping me is that I'm very spoiled with my current eye clean I1 and don't know if I will be that lucky again. So good for you finding the GOG stone. It looks really nice and a great price, too.

eta: 3-stones don't work on my hands either (short, size 7.75 fingers) but I did have visions of you setting the GOG I1 with the Infinity I1 and your 8-star I1 in the center...what a ring that would have been!

Hmmmmmm, that would have been something to see, although the colors were two grades off and I can see the difference. Actually my Eightstar is an I-2 if you can believe it, but it's found it's forever home in my pendant.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/who-wants-to-see-andelains-new-pendant.149344/

OK, now that you've warned me I've GOT to stay off Wink's site until that thing sells. I have absolutely no use for that size and don't want to dream something up...... :errrr:

I thank you for those prayers, they are appreciated. :wavey:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Andelain said:
Portree said:
Andelain said:

Hmmmmmm, that would have been something to see, although the colors were two grades off and I can see the difference. Actually my Eightstar is an I-2 if you can believe it, but it's found it's forever home in my pendant.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/who-wants-to-see-andelains-new-pendant.149344/

OK, now that you've warned me I've GOT to stay off Wink's site until that thing sells. I have absolutely no use for that size and don't want to dream something up...... :errrr:

I thank you for those prayers, they are appreciated. :wavey:

You are welcome -- and thank you for your service to our country. Anyway, I was on vacation when your pendant thread came out, so I just went through it to see what I missed. Wow, WF did a great job with your design. That pendant is so modern yet timeless and elegant. And the 8-star is an I2??? I guess I forgot that, though I do remember oggling that stone when it was on the JBEG site and being amazed that the clarity grade was so low.

Anyway, so it's your other 8-star that's the higher color. Miss A., your collection is getting so large that I am getting mixed up on how many of what incredible colors/clarity/branded cuts/carats you own -- haha! Yup, the combination of the high color, low clarity, strong blue fluorescence and Infinity cut on the 1.08 caught my eye. But if you get it, then I can stop looking at it (enable, enable...).

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Portree said:
You are welcome -- and thank you for your service to our country. Anyway, I was on vacation when your pendant thread came out, so I just went through it to see what I missed. Wow, WF did a great job with your design. That pendant is so modern yet timeless and elegant. And the 8-star is an I2??? I guess I forgot that, though I do remember oggling that stone when it was on the JBEG site and being amazed that the clarity grade was so low.

Anyway, so it's your other 8-star that's the higher color. Miss A., your collection is getting so large that I am getting mixed up on how many of what incredible colors/clarity/branded cuts/carats you own -- haha! Yup, the combination of the high color, low clarity, strong blue fluorescence and Infinity cut on the 1.08 caught my eye. But if you get it, then I can stop looking at it (enable, enable...).

STOP IT WOMAN, YOU'RE TEMPTING ME!!!!!!!!!!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hahaha, I don't need to buy anymore, anyway. Besides, don't you need a pendant? :Up_to_something: :naughty:

The Eightstar that's an I-2 and now in my pendant is the 'F', and the 1.57 carat VVS-1 is a high 'I'. It was actually graded once by GIA as an 'H' and once as an 'I'. I don't know if you saw my other thread about Whiteflash helping me out, but they fixed the ring recently when I broke a prong. Here's a pic I took of them both together when the I-2 was still in that Tiffany mount that I don't like at all and another of the 1.57 when if got back from WF.

Glad you like that pendant, I'm pretty proud of that design. I dreamed it up years ago and finally was able to do it.

Oh, and you're welcome. :wavey:

157-BackFromWF.jpg

157-110-InBox.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Andelain said:
loriken214 said:

Lori

Yes it is, I'm going to miss it. That cut really was perfection. Too bad I didn't like the color.

It's going OK, except the locals keep trying to blow up the base and off us all! :angryfire: I've spent some quality time in bunkers around here. :nono:

Wish I could come over there and take my bat to them!!! Serious prayers are with you always Andelain!

Gosh, your jewelry collection is growing and I can't wait to see what you come up with next! If you ever come to visit WF in person, I'd love to meet you. I'm just down the road from WF.

It would be SO much fun watching you design your wedding jewelry, too! :naughty:

Lori

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
loriken214|1288844385|2754636 said:
Andelain said:
loriken214 said:

Lori

Wish I could come over there and take my bat to them!!! Serious prayers are with you always Andelain!

Gosh, your jewelry collection is growing and I can't wait to see what you come up with next! If you ever come to visit WF in person, I'd love to meet you. I'm just down the road from WF.

It would be SO much fun watching you design your wedding jewelry, too! :naughty:

Lori

I wish you could, too! I get tired of waking up to explosions and alarms, then having to go get in a bunker. :angryfire:

Prayers are appreciated, thank you. I'd love to meet you too. I'm hoping to get to your area to meet the people behind the emails. I have a couple projects in the works I'll be showing off in the next couple months. :tongue: I don't know about the wedding jewelry yet, I have to decide if he's the one still. But if he is, his ring will have a real nice diamond in it. :bigsmile: And if he isn't, my finger will have a real nice diamond on it permanenty. :lol:

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Andelain|1289619183|2764003 said:
loriken214|1288844385|2754636 said:
Andelain said:
loriken214 said:

Lori

Lori

I wish you could, too! I get tired of waking up to explosions and alarms, then having to go get in a bunker. :angryfire:

Prayers are appreciated, thank you. I'd love to meet you too. I'm hoping to get to your area to meet the people behind the emails. I have a couple projects in the works I'll be showing off in the next couple months. :tongue: I don't know about the wedding jewelry yet, I have to decide if he's the one still. But if he is, his ring will have a real nice diamond in it. :bigsmile: And if he isn't, my finger will have a real nice diamond on it permanenty. :lol:

I'm a member of Soldiers' Angels and we're writing to hundreds of our Soldiers all over. My adopted Soldier is in Iraq. Have you been adopted yet? Are you receiving care packages from home?

No hurry on getting married...you're doing great on your own! :naughty: I'm really looking forward to seeing you face to face as soon as you visit WF and/or my area and I'm going to give you the biggest hug. THANK YOU for taking such good care of the USA!!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1288817297|2754259 said:
Portree said:
Andelain said:

Oh this is exciting to read, Ande! Thank you for sharing, and I hope everything works out just the way you want ::)
I gotta say I'm loving the idea of a couple sharing a ring design - and yours is certainly one that would look good on either a man or a woman...

And please, stay safe!! :bigsmile:

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Ok you have officialy twisted my arm into liking D,E and F. But that L colour is so yummy... Can't wait to see the new I1.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results