shape
carat
color
clarity

Pendant or studs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Woo-hoo! I''m giving SERIOUS thought to spending some moolah, and soon! I haven''t really bought much of anything since buying a house in November, and fiancee and I just got a nice tax return. We''re spending most of it on practical things-- lawn mower, fencing in our yard, etc. He bought a few toys he wanted and told me to get something for myself too......
11.gif
31.gif
He is the one making the bulk of the money now (I supported him through school), so I''d like to not be too selfish about it. I REALLY do not want to spend more than $1K, but the less, the better.

The choices:

1) .25 ctw studs from WF (four prong ready set to go)

2) same thing except in .50 ctw

3) .50 carat pendant (AGS0 M color with strong blue fluorescence) Keep in mind that I''m a big believer in well-cut low color stones, especially ones with strong fl.

4) Go in a totally different direction, maybe a RHR.

What do you ladies and gents think?

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
#3 mainly because I have seen so many beautiful lower color stones on PS lately
2.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which do you wear more, necklace or earrings? I like the pendant idea.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
The biggest, best cut studs you can afford!!! You will wear them everyday!!!!!
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 9:44:25 AM
Author: Dani
36.gif
Ditto. I would wear studs way more often than the pendant, but that''s just me!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 9:57:27 AM
Author: Ellen

36.gif
Thritto. I also wear studs much more often than a pendant. Studs to me are almost essential, whereas a pendant is something extra, yanno, once you''ve got the ring and the studs, then you get a pendant.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Agree with the others about the studs - I ADORE mine, and I do wear them basically every single day. I think that will be the best choice if you''re looking for wearability.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Def studs, I wear mine every single day
25.gif

HeatherL

Shiny_Rock
# 3 definitely!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I would probabbly go a pendant - nothing like catching the reflection in your car window when the sun is out and the fire is blinding
36.gif

Mrs.Guz

Shiny_Rock
Pendant
emsmile.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I bought both earrings and studs around the same time (about six months apart from each other) and have worn my studs nonstop since then, but only wear my pendant occasionally. Studs great because you can keep them in 24/7 and you don't have to worry about them. If I could do over, I would have taken the $ I spent on my pendant and added it to my stud fund and bought bigger earrings!

All that said, do you consider yourself more an earring or pendant girl? Have you tried on earrings/pendants of those sizes to see how they look? (oh, and I'd for sure go for the larger studs!)

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! Hmmm.... Am I more of a studs girl or a pendant girl...... I dunno.
33.gif

I wear cz studs right now and would love to have some real ones, but I have smallish earlobes and they're pierced very low as well, so .50 is probably the BIGGEST I could ever go. I also have two piercings, and for a while now my favorite "daily" look has been a pair of small white gold hoops in the first holes and my tiny fakie studs in the second. I rotate back and forth between 3mm and 4mm ones, trying to decide if the bigger studs would really be worth the extra $350ish. So far I still can't decide. In a no-budget world I'd probably get 1ctw lever backs for my first holes because I'd prefer the look on me, and the smaller studs for the second holes, but the funds won't be there anytime soon.

As far as the pendant goes, I don't wear a lot of them, but pretty much because I don't have many. I have one sterling silver and marcasite one that I'll wear when the outfit is right and a few "costumey" ones. I'd love to have something more grown up, and something that I can upgrade over time. The website I'll order from has a trade-up policy which I will hopefully take advantage of. I feel like a solitaire pendant is something I can dress up or down, with my wedding dress or a pair of jeans and a tank top.

I think I would get more wear out of studs, but a pendant just seems so much more exciting. I guess it's the whole fun of finding the right diamond and setting, not to mention the fact that one bigger stone just seems like more fun to buy than two smaller ones. And the reflection of the fire in the car window has me excited too! Good thinking
2.gif

AND, the last thing swaying my decision is this. Obviously I'd like to have ALL the options someday.
31.gif
Greedy little me I know, but I don't think I'm alone here.
1.gif
The studs are something my fiancee can surprise me with at any time, because he knows EXACTLY what I want. The pendant is something I'd be much more picky about, because it's a bigger stone and I'll want something much more specific-- that he'd NEVER be able to guess himself-- to get the most bang for my buck and my priorities. I don't buy big things for myself all that often, so I figure this is a chance to do that.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I just re-read what I wrote and it seems to point to pendant. I''m still not sold though. Studs seem like something every girl should have.

Decisions decisions....

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
#2 - I love the size, perfect for every day, and it's a classic piece that should be in every woman's wardrobe :)

ETA - just read your last post. Sounds like you answered for yourself. Pendant it is!! :)

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I wear my studs all the time because they are super versatile and classic. Nothing lights up your face like a fabulous set of diamonds in your ears. I would get the biggest studs that you can afford.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
I vote STUDS first, then pendant! I would get the biggest, best cut set possible and upgradable if you think you might want that option down the road. Once you get used to them, you''ll want bigger ones.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the studs! Someday, if they are very good, you can dress them up with some jackets
2.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I really won''t want bigger ones though, or jackets to wear with them. The person who pierced my ears (when I was five) did a terrible job and the holes are very close to the bottom of my ears. Anything remotely heavly droops down and looks silly, and i''m not into those things you stick on the backs of your ears to make them stand up. The studs I''d buy would probably spend more time in the second holes next to my white gold hoops. I still want them someday, but they''re not as exciting to me because they don''t look really great on me, just ok. The very biggest I''ll ever have is .50 ctw. I know because I''ve tried out several sizes of fake ones first (in both sets of piercings) to be sure.

The pendant, however, is something that I''ll definitely want to upgrade.

I''m still leaning towards the pendant for those reasons, but not ready to commit yet. Any more opinions are still appreciated:) Thanks everyone!
1.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi kelli :)

i''m thinking about a pendant too. (i think i''m thinking about a lot of things!) i''ve been looking a lot at ''jewels by erica grace'' as she did a beautiful pendant for someone on PS in a milgrain bezel setting (can anyone reading this remember who that was for and let me know pls? memory not what it should be...) i love the things they make and the pendants are beautiful.

so i''m with you - pendant!

(and just btw, i have 1.5 ct studs and i almost never wear them. my elsa peretti large, yellow gold open heart earrings however - different story!!)

enjoy!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Upgradeable pendant is a good idea. I''ve got a little diamond solitaire pendant, I think around .2c, which my husband bought me, I adore it.
But... studs are a great idea as well... I love the idea of the .50 ctw ones. I have that size and I adore them. Although I only have a single piercing, so I wear them alone.

Ultimately, you need BOTH earrings and solitaire pendant...it''s just a question of which comes first (and how long you must wait for the other ''necessity''!)
If it''s only between here and Christmas, or say, next tax return, choose your poison!
11.gif

If you put your man through school, and now he''s earning money.... I say, don''t feel too guilty about the tax return in any case!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 9:57:27 AM
Author: Ellen

36.gif
Ditto... it just depends on what you would wear more often, and ENJOY the most. I''d wear the studs daily.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
Ditto.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
The pendant or the .50 tcw studs!!!!

Both are pieces you can wear every day.
30.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 11:17:48 AM
Author: Bliss

The pendant or the .50 tcw studs!!!!

Both are pieces you can wear every day.
30.gif
Yup yup!!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
OK everyone. I think I have made up my mind. I know a lot of you said get the studs first, but I am going to go with the pendant. The biggest reason for my choice is because this is one of the few times I am going to "buy MYSELF a present."
9.gif
Usually there''s a reason if I get something that costs more than $150 or so. For a later date-- birthday, anniversary, Christmas, wedding present, WHATEVER, I will ask fiancee for the studs. For those, he knows exactly where to go and what to order. With a pendant, he''d be clueless, as I plan on selecting a very specific diamond myself to save on money and maximize size for a teensy budget.

SO--- thanks for all of your opininons, and hopefully soon I''ll be letting you all know what I got.
1.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Well Kelli, If you think it''s superfun to go through the picking out process (I can''t, I''m hopeless that way), then whatever you do decide you want, you can pick out the other for me!!

Because I want both the studs, or maybe leverbacks because my ears are crooked, and a pendant.

I just got my taxes done too!!
35.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
You had me at .50 ct. M with fluorescence...
31.gif

I vote for pendant!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results