shape
carat
color
clarity

pendant attached to the chain

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Hi I really like this pendant setting from whiteflash, http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Pendants/-Four-Corners--Pendant--SETTING-ONLY_1028.htm, but looks to me that the pendant is attached to the chain. I didn''t give it much thought before until I read this thread, where people commented that with attached chain the pendant might get off center easily. I am wondering if anyone else has any opinions/experiences with this type of setting.

Also, do you think white gold will look just as nice as platinum? The diamon I''m looking at is less than 3,000 and I think it might not be worth it if the chain is $500+.

Previous thread
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pendant-setting-questions.65720/

Thank you very much

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t comment on the chain issue, but I think white gold is just fine for most jewelry. It is durable and will stay more shiny than platinum. The rhodium plating probably won''t wear off like it might on a ring that gets more wear and tear.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I have a different setting, but the diamond is attached to the chain and it is ALWAYS off center AND the diamond flips. It''s annoying, but I''d still pick a pendant w/the diamond attached that way there is less chance of the diamond slipping off...I like the security of having it as one complete unit.

White gold looks beautiful, but unless you''re on a tight budget, I would suggest platinum because it''s more durable. I recently purchased new stud earrings and regret having them set in WG as I feel they are more fragile and I cannot wear them in the pool or hot tub, which (to me) is a pain. I''d love to just keep them in all the time. A diamond, even under $3K, deserves the best "home" you can give it
9.gif
!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kissmark-diamond pendant time, eh?
3.gif

I really like that setting. To speak to the off-center/flipping issue-mine is a yes to both, but I have the 3-prong. It''s not to the point of being hugely annoying for me because I have a tendency to regularly check to make sure it''s center (uh, OCD:)) and the look is worth the trade-off. I did, however, request a non-stationary chain when I got my mom''s bezel-set pendant and I kind of prefer it. *Knock on wood*, I have another diamond pendant in yellow gold that I''ve had for 10+ years and I''ve never once lost the diamond off the chain.

As for the WG chain-I think WF''s 14KT chains that they used on both of our necklaces have been pretty nice quality (hers even more so, and hers is the most recent order). I did have to re-plate mine after about 6 mos, but I am an ultrasonic fanatic (4+times a week). I just couldn''t justify the cost for plat, and if I had it to do over, I''d probably still go w/WG.

Good luck-can''t wait to see what you come up with!

PS FWIW, my pendant is a .55? G VS2 and I really think it''s a great size. I wouldn''t have hesitated to do a SI-1/maybe SI-2, but this stone had a great spread and was really reasonable. If you decide to go bigger, all the better
31.gif
, but I wanted you to know that a half-carat (at least IMHO) does not look small.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve had both: attached and non-stationary. Personally, I prefer the non-stationary pendant. I''ve worn non-stationary pendants daily for over 15 years and have not lost any.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are making me nervous! I''m having my .75 martini prong set on a stationary chain and now I''m wondering if I made a mistake with that choice! eeekkk!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't worry about it.
2.gif
Enjoy your new setting and wear a bit to see how it "behaves". If you don't like it, it isn't difficult to remove the jump rings to add a bail to make it a removable type pendant. Or it may turn out that you like the stationary style after all.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
No worries, Katie! It really is a beautiful setting, and your stone is larger than mine so it will probably "behave" even better.
2.gif
Lesley did have my chain lengthened a bit and I suspect that helped, too. Please post pics!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good... I''m getting antsy--haven''t gotten a call from the jeweler yet. I dropped off my stone late Friday and told them to go ahead and mount it in the martini head and give me a call when it''s mounted so I see it with the chain I picked out. They better get on the stick! :)

I''ll post photos. It better be this week! I''m gonna call them and see where things stand...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2007 1:59:38 PM
Author: katiedid
You guys are making me nervous! I''m having my .75 martini prong set on a stationary chain and now I''m wondering if I made a mistake with that choice! eeekkk!
You''ll be fine. My pendant is a lot smaller at .38 ct so that is why it moves around so much.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope so. I''m so picky and it''ll drive me nuts if it flips and moves all around... but hey, he said if it did, he''d do it another way!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
On this general topic...how do you girls manage to put the retractable lever into the loop at the end of the chain.

Do you use a mirror? By touch? Are you quick? Spend a good while? Have your significant other do it?

Not meaning to thread jack.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes by touch, other times, I wear it with the clasp facing me, then push the chain around until the pendant is in front.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can usually do it by touch if the clasp isn''t tiny.

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
okay i''m now even more indecisive about it after reading everyone''s reply. Katedid I would love to hear your experience about it after you get it. I love the look of the whiteflash setting but I will chose another desgin if it''s really a problem

snlee

Ideal_Rock
White gold is fine for a pendant. Personally, I like the stationary chain better. I don''t have much problems with my diamond getting off center. What bugs me more with the non-stationary chains is when the clasp is visible from the front.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
My little bezel necklace doesn''t flip often but does get off center all the time.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 12:17:53 AM
Author: snlee
White gold is fine for a pendant. Personally, I like the stationary chain better. I don''t have much problems with my diamond getting off center. What bugs me more with the non-stationary chains is when the clasp is visible from the front.
What size is your pendant and is it from WF? I''m just curious as I''m planning to buy a new pendant and am wanting to avoid the off-center problem next time around.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 12:31:01 AM
Author: MC
Date: 7/24/2007 12:17:53 AM

Author: snlee

White gold is fine for a pendant. Personally, I like the stationary chain better. I don't have much problems with my diamond getting off center. What bugs me more with the non-stationary chains is when the clasp is visible from the front.
What size is your pendant and is it from WF? I'm just curious as I'm planning to buy a new pendant and am wanting to avoid the off-center problem next time around.
MC, my pendant is .55 and I had it set at a local jewelers. I have a 16" chain and the diamond sits a little lower than my neck. The length and diamond size most likely has something to do with it getting off center.

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
snlee that is what i''m looking for too, 0.5 on a 16 inch chain. hopeuflly i wont have too many problems w/ it

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kissmark, if I ever get mine back I''ll let you know!
emwink.gif
I''m being impatient... the jeweler wasn''t even there yesterday so I''m going to call him again today. They''re going to love me when this is all over. Hee hee.

I plan to get it done martini-style, wear it for a day or a few to see how it behaves, and if it flips and drives me nuts, I''ll probably have him do a thin bezel IF he can get a very thin one. I don''t like the thick ones. Or I may try the 4-prong if he thinks that''ll make a difference. I just figure if the 3 prong flips, the 4 prong probably would too, since they''re basically attached at the same place on the mounting.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just recently purchased a .43 bezel pendant attached to the chain (16in). I''m very happy with the attached style. It doesn''t flip too bad, but it does become off center slightly. It doesn''t slide half way up my neck or anything though LOL. Sometimes it rights itself after a while and other times I readjust it. 14WG will be fine, platinum is fine too. Either way is probably fine for a pendant.

Even with the shifting issue, I still prefer the attached style. With slider pendants the clasp tends to gravitate towards the front and I rather have the pendant shift than the clasp show.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One big reason I wanted the attached chain is because I like the look of the way the diamond kindof floats on your neck. I don''t think you get that look as much when the pendant slides. But that''s just my personal opinion!

I am supposed to get my pendant tomorrow so I''ll try to post photos in the afternoon if I''m able to pick it up at lunch. The jeweler ordered 2 mountings -- one with a flatter back on the basket and one that was more tapered. He said he''s going to try the flatter one first, and I thought that was a good idea. I told him to go ahead and mount the stone and attach it to the chain instead of me coming to see it before it''s on the chain. I already picked out the chain, so I''m hoping I''ll like it! If not, he can put a different chain on it.

eac

Shiny_Rock
I have a diamond pendant that''s in a sliding bezel, i.e., not attached to the chain....and that pendant slides off center all the time, too! It doesn''t "flip", though. It''s on a 16-inch chain. Maybe a slightly longer chain helps avoid pendants/necklaces going off-center.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the pendant front... funny story...
I was supposed to get my pendant today at lunch. Called the jeweler at 12ish and one of the sales people told me he had received one mounting, but not the one he wanted to use. I said "Oh, when I talked to him yesterday, he said he''d gotten the one he wanted to use and was going to go ahead and set it." I told her I''d just call back later today. So I headed out for a lunchtime run.

When I got back to my office, the jeweler had left me a funny voicemail. He said he''d gotten both mountings in the other day and had put them down somewhere in his shop and couldn''t find the one he wanted to use. So he had to reorder it at 4:00 pm yesterday and it was due today by 3:00. He had called and tracked down where the delivery truck was and exactly what time they would have it to him. He said in the message he was so sorry and he would be sure to have it done for me today as soon as the mounting came. He said he''d meet me somewhere or even bring it to me if I wanted him to. What a nice guy!

Anyway, he called me a few minutes ago and said it was all done, it was beautiful and it was in the cleaner and would be ready in just a few minutes. I told him I would come get it later this afternoon and he said if I needed him to, he''d stay open a little late so I could get it. I said "No, I''ll be there before you close at 5:30. I''m dying to see it!" He said "Well, I didn''t put it on myself but I carried it around the shop and it seems to lay really nice and flat and it''s SO pretty!" I told him he''d have to make some more of them since I''ve never seen one like it around here.

So after I get it this afternoon late, I''ll post some photos if I can get some decent ones of myself! How do you take a picture of your own neck anyway?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reflection off a mirror?

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was trying to figure out how to stand close enough to the mirror, hold the camera, zoom in with the macro function, and see what I''m looking at on the screen while holding the camera towards me. Should be a fun project!
emdgust.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a cute story with your jeweler, it''s nice to see a guy so willing to make things right for you...off to see your pics in your other thread...

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Katie any problems with flipping or become off center so far? by the way how long is your chain? it looks really great on you

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results