shape
carat
color
clarity

pendant setting questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the cross post -- I''m hoping I''ll get more advice by using a better subject line instead of burying my questions in another thread!

Ok, here''s the deal... I want to reset my .75 ct round stone from one pendant to a new one that will showcase the stone better (and that I''ll actually wear instead of leaving it in my jewelry box). The setting I have it in now annoys me (it slides on the chain) and I don''t really like the style all that much. It''s too much metal and looks kindof dated. And I feel like it looks too "dressy" or fancy for everyday wear, which for me is slacks or jeans (I don''t have to dress up for my job).

I was going back and forth b/t 3 settings--a very thin bezel, a 3-prong martini, or a 4-prong basket. I would have the setting attached to the chain, instead of having it slide. And it would be on a 16 inch chain.

I don''t want it to flip or creep up the side of my neck. And I''ve almost ruled out the bezel, just for the sake of deciding b/t 2 instead of 3 options. My hubby likes the 3 and 4 prong best as well.

So it''s down to 3-prong martini, which would match my earrings (they are also set in 3-prong martini settings and are each .75 ct just like the pendant stone).
Or 4-prong basket, which would also match just fine I think. I''ve read posts saying the 4-prong flips less and will lay flatter on my neck.

I love the look of both (may love the martini just slightly better, but not enough to sway me if the 4-prong will lay flatter and not flip as much).

Your opinions are very welcome! I''ve read all the old posts, but I''m hoping that maybe someone who has bought a pendant in the last year or so will chime in and tell me what they bought and if they love it or wish they''d bought something different. Thanks everyone!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a beautiful halo?

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi skippy, I guess I''m not a halo girl. :) They seem too dressy for me. I''m going for simple! I do have a halo ring (RHR) that I wear sometimes and think it''s beautiful! I think a halo would also make this way bigger than I want for everyday wear. But I do appreciate your response!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My wife''s diamond bezel pendant is attached to the chain and constantly rotates to one side of center. I have found no way to prevent it. A sliding pendant has better potential to stay somewhat centered although you will find the chain clasp rotates toward the front in daily wear on most chains.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Hi katie,

The 4-prong will most likely lay flatter...my 3-prong one gave me such grief that I finally had it reset. A bezel setting also lays pretty flat.

Also, I would recommend NOT having it attached to the chain...it will never be centered on your neck and it realy is worth moving the clasp on a free-moving one when it occasionally falls to the front. Also, if you have it attached to the chain, you run the risk of kinking, damaging or breaking the chain and then are unable to wear it until the necklace part is fixed or replaced. At least with a free-moving pendant, you can replace the chain easily.

I thought having pendants with attached chains was the way to go as I hated turning my necklace to put the clasp to the back, but then discovered that it was never straight on my neck, and no one ever wanted to tell me, so I would only discover it when I went to the restroom or happened to catch my reflection in the mirror. After a few times of that, I found myself constantly reaching up to see if my necklace was straight, thus putting my fingerprints all over it!

Just some thoughts...good luck w/your choice!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks to both of you for your thoughful comments!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
My vote is for a three prong martini to match your earrings. It''s a classic look that will never go out of style IMO.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This afternoon during lunch, I ran over to a little mom and pop store right around the corner from my house. I''ve never been in there before--I live in a fairly small town on the outskirts of a medium sized town, and I just figured this place would be full of styles of jewelry I wouldn''t particularly like. But it was the cutest place--it''s run by an OLD couple. And their son is the jeweler. His wife works there too, so it really is a family run business. (I just love the feel of these kinds of places--they feel so warm and welcoming and low-pressure.)

Anyway, I showed him some photos of both 3 and 4 prong pendants. I wanted to see if he would shy away from making something like this, since he had seen them before, but had never made one. He was SOOOOOOOO excited at the prospect of doing it though! I listened carefully to everything he said, and he knew what he was talking about--I could tell from the discussion we had. We talked about the basket setting, how to keep it from flipping, what type and size chain to put it on, etc. He said he really liked the 3 prong best and I told him I did too. So did his wife and another store employee! So he said he''d order the setting, call me in a couple of days, I could leave my stone with him, he''d set it, and call me back in, and we''d look at chains and decide which looked best with the mounted stone. I liked this idea, since he said you never know exactly what the mounted stone will look like until it''s mounted! They had a chain I liked a lot and I''m almost certain it''ll work. He''s holding that one for me. He said he could also put a jump ring on it at 15" or so since 16" may be a little long for me. He also said if I wanted him to, he could make me an extender. He said if I ever wanted him to rhodium plate the setting again, he''d do it for free. And he uses a laser, not a torch (I was surprised and impressed with that, for such a small, old-timey store.) He said if the 3 prong ends up flipping, we''ll take it apart and try something else - at no charge - until we get it right!

The best thing is that this is going to be CHEAP for me to do. And I really do think he''ll do a good job. We''ll see!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
katie,

I''m so excited you found someone you like to work with on your pendant! My FI and I love the little Mom & Pop stores and try to frequent them whenever we can, whether it be for furniture, jewelry or whatever. They are usually always willing to work with their customers and go the extra mile to add a little personal touch. Can''t wait to see the pictures!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Katiedid, I am so glad you found someone to do your pendant for you. I am looking forward to seeing it. My solitaire flips pendnat flips around sometimes but not too bad. It''s a 4 prong and the bail is split.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Katie, just wanted to chime in that i recently got a martini pendant and I love it! It is fixed on the chain. It rotates and flips occasionally but not so that it bothers me at all. I think every kind has their disadvantages and advantages. I seriously don''t see the prongs and it looks like a floating diamond!

Mind sharing the name of your local place? I think we are in the same metro area and I am always looking for a good local jeweler!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gailrmv, I''m so glad to hear that you still love your martini pendant! Do you wear it a lot? Sleep in it? I can''t wait to get mine and try it out.

The place I''m using is called Holland''s Jewelers. They are in downtown Apex (do you know where that is?). I''ll keep you posted on how things go with them.
emteeth.gif

Sabrina_Fair

Rough_Rock
Hi katiedid,

It''s great that you''re excited about working with your jeweller and he seems quite accomodating with his options as well. I''m glad he''s willing to work with you if you don''t like it and free is a good option! He''s right that you''ll never know what the stone will look like until it''s mounted.

The martini setting is really pretty and please do let us know your feedback afterwards. Oh yes, and of course pictures...
36.gif

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely will keep everyone in the loop! And will posts lots of pictures... :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results