shape
carat
color
clarity

Pebble and Polish...Overpriced?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was cleaning out my Etsy favorited items and this was what originally inspired my recent purchase.

This ring is very very close to the ring I bought, transitional center diamond, same carat weight (my specs are better) marquise sides and single cuts. I did not pay anywhere near 3K for my ring. Of course at the time I had no idea what a reasonable price was but was pretty sure their price was on the high end.

I know there was some discussion about them in the past here but I don't think their pricing was ever discussed. Obviously this is more for future buyers, I would hate to see someone pay double (or more) than what they have to.

ETA:

IMG_7138.jpg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think there are a lot of sellers who buy from the same sources that savvy buyers might find and then turn around and offer those things at 2x the price to folks who don't want to sort through the stores or websites.... wasn't it neil that said a ring she was eyeing on ebay was bought and resold by victor barbone at a huge markup? anyway....i think they must cater to a different audience who doesn't have the time or inclination to do the hunting (which is the fun part for a lot of people)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so true and something I didn't consider @bludiva, probably because I am one of those "thrill of the hunt" people. In any case it does make sense if you are limited for time or don't have that inclination to hunt.

Also it does seem like their pieces are in very good condition and that there is probably some added expense to restore so that the buyer doesn't have to worry about additional repairs immediately after purchase.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
good point, it's pretty easy to get a ring fixed up if you have a trusted jeweler but pretty daunting if you don't...!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are so right @bludiva, I have this Italian jeweler who is very headstrong and gives me a hard time sometimes BUT he does good work. So if I can get a ring that's ready to wear vs dealing with him then that's what I aim for.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I was noticing this too! I alway wonder where these places get their stock from, then I saw things I’ve eyed on Etsy, Ruby Lane and it pop up for a whole lot more. I would love to go to a antique jewelry trade show, I wonder if there prices are good:think:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best prices IMO are at the pawn shops especially in the more urban areas. Can't speak to jewelry trade shows as I haven't been to one.

I have also noticed large variations in prices on for example vintage illusion rings like this one:

IMG_1814.JPG

Some sellers ask outrageous prices on these @Smith3.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on my observations & conversations with antique jewelry sellers, they source from auctions around the world, directly from estates, through dealers, eBay, Etsy, jewelry stores, the melt pile of other jewelers, and anywhere else they can get a good price.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am always surfing jewelry on eBay. So many things are incredibly overpriced.
Even more so on Etsy.
I had my eye on the 10k blue topaz and enamel ring in this photo. It was selling on eBay for $49. I was eyeing it up for weeks. Suddenly it disappeared and turned up on this Instagrammer's finger, selling for $275! I was very annoyed.
Not because I didn't buy it, but because of the crazy markup.
IMG_20200114_195513396.jpg

Last edited:

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I am always surfing jewelry on eBay. So many things are incredibly overpriced.
Even more so on Etsy.
I had my eye on the 10k blue topaz and enamel ring in this photo. It was selling on eBay for $49. I was eyeing it up for weeks. Suddenly it disappeared and turned up on this Instagrammer's finger, selling for $275! I was very annoyed.
Not because I didn't buy it, but because of the crazy markup.
IMG_20200114_195513396.jpg

Yes!! I follow a few people who do this on Instagram but nothing that I’ve been eyeing.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!! I follow a few people who do this on Instagram but nothing that I’ve been eyeing.

And I suppose she sold it, because I can't find the listing anymore.
10k, and the blue topaz had a big window---for $275! Someone got ripped off........

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie, I've actually had a guy on EBay tell me he was a dealer when making an offer and I've had Etsy sellers buy from me too. Sometimes these sellers have the right market for the item which is great, I would rather get the money than sit on it.

@stracci2000 275?! I mean it's nice but yikes that is quite the markup! I think regular folks have no idea about windows or that the stone is missing all the color in the middle, they probably just think that's normal!

kh85

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring came from Pebble and Polish, and although I'm sure you could prooobably find similar items for less in some places, I like that they clean up their pieces and make sure to have any structural improvement repairs done before selling them. I'd hate to have risked asking a local jeweler, who is either unfamiliar or dispassionate about antique pieces, work on a repair and damage a piece that would've otherwise been in excellent condition, y'know?

Although, I can definitely imagine being incredibly annoyed by seeing something I'd been eyeing at an incredible price get scooped up and resold for 5x times more!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kh85, since you mentioned your ring came from there, care to share a picture? Would love to see it.

I can totally appreciate the premium paid for a restored ring, some folks do not have access to a good jeweler for antique pieces.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
@kh85, since you mentioned your ring came from there, care to share a picture? Would love to see it.

I can totally appreciate the premium paid for a restored ring, some folks do not have access to a good jeweler for antique pieces.

I agree, I don’t know of a good jeweler for antique pieces. I have a jeweler but I’d prefer someone who specializes in antique jewelry to fix some issues I have

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
The best prices IMO are at the pawn shops especially in the more urban areas. Can't speak to jewelry trade shows as I haven't been to one.

I have also noticed large variations in prices on for example vintage illusion rings like this one:

IMG_1814.JPG

Some sellers ask outrageous prices on these @Smith3.

That band matches an illusion ring I bought except mine is yellow gold! I am hoping to find a band like that.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CaseyLouLou, that band was an EBay find and I bet you could find one similar. These are sometimes called Orange Blossom bands or forget-me-not bands

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i had to come back here b/c i saw earlier today that an etsy vendor bought something i'd seen on ebay (it was <$2k) and is presenting it as their own work (now at $5k) or at least not listing it as vintage. :/

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o :-o @bludiva, do you mind sharing what the item is? Not trying to figure out the Etsy seller but interested to see what kind of item could possibly justify that markup.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don't want to link to the vendor on the off chance i'm wrong

it's the wide bracelet...white gold and 2.5ct of melee. was a good buy at $1700 now not so good at $5000

if they'd done some extensive restoration etc. but just looks like a flip job.

1583272735378.png

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm they seem to think they can get 5K for that? I mean, it's a nice bracelet and may be worth it to someone but they are going to be sitting on it a while I bet @bludiva

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm they seem to think they can get 5K for that? I mean, it's a nice bracelet and may be worth it to someone but they are going to be sitting on it a while I bet @bludiva

yep exactly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results