shape
carat
color
clarity

pearls...a comparison with PICTURES!

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
So, as I am adamantly trying to procrastinate in studying for my board exam, I had a little fun after my new akoya earrings showed up today from TPO.

Here is a picture of my freshwater necklace from Pearl Paradise next to the new akoya earrings:

pearlsfwakoya.jpg

Hopefully that worked.
At any rate, the earrings are 7.5mm AAA akoyas, brilliant white with at pink overtone. The necklace is AAA freshwaters, white, no overtone.

Am I missing it? I don't see a difference. I like the earrings so won't return, but I think I've just decided I'm a freshwater girl. I'm not seeing that the akoyas are more lustrous. And, I think this is a head to head comparison.

And one more pic, for giggles. My dog in her fakies (she was the Queen of Hearts) at a recent baby shower for a friend. And let me tell you, my friends, for 5 bucks, these are the MOST lustrous of all!

finpearls.jpg

And, I get that I'm partial to the puppy dog, but I put all 3 next to each other and I can back it up. LOL.

I also tried to take pics of the new tahitian studs, but they didn't show the overtones well. I'll save the re-shoot for another Saturday. :wavey:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
beadchick|1313268546|2990228 said:
Am I missing it? I don't see a difference. I like the earrings so won't return, but I think I've just decided I'm a freshwater girl. I'm not seeing that the akoyas are more lustrous. And, I think this is a head to head comparison.

i see it but it is so subtle a difference i have to really look hard to even begin to see it.

like you, i've decided i'm a freshwater woman. i just don't see the difference as great enough and i'm not willing to pay more $ to get that difference. actually, i'm not willing to pay the $$$$$ that would probably make the difference noticeable.

i saw a beautiful south sea pearl pendant in western AU last november. i could really see the difference. but i'm just not willing to spend that kind of $ to have one. i like wearing my freshies to the garden center, the farmers' market, etc. and i don't worry about being hard on them re oils from skin contact.

so, beadchick, you are not alone. while i may admire and sigh over the really elegant but expensive "other", i'm just to practical.

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
They're so pretty! I have an akoya bracelet and some freshwater earrings, and I can definitely tell the difference in them. I think the freshwater ones I have are low quality though (they were a gift from years ago). I can't tell a difference in yours, they're both so pretty! I think if you can find freshwater pearls that you really like and are pretty, I'd get them over the pricier akoyas.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results