shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl Stud Earrings 8-8.5 mm or 8.5-9 mm?

SGV_Gal

Rough_Rock
I’m planning to buy akoya pearl stud earrings for my wedding next year. I can’t decide between 8-8.5 mm or 8.5-9 mm. Does anyone have pictures of 8.5-9 mm in the ear? Any opinions on size? For reference I have pictures of two pearl studs earrings in my ear.

About 8mm

16A2BDD9-C540-450F-9B1A-8E3AA8C75FA0.jpeg
About 6.5-7 mm
E5A679AD-77B8-4ED0-BD07-73738B939091.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, I would advise getting the 8-8.5mm as the 8mm one looks nice on you.

Here is a pic of my 10mm Tahitian from PP that I bought about 10 years ago in my big fat earlobe.

DK :))

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Which do you like? Because that is the size to select. It's a difference of 1mm at most so only you will know!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think that the best thing to do it go to your local jewellery store and try some on. You don't need to buy from them but it's the best way to see what suits you and the size you are most comfortable wearing. 8-8.5 mm is a nice size and really won't cost too much. If you look at the big online stores you can see the prices for AAA and Hanadama.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
One crazy but easy trick I know to see the difference on your own ears is to chew up some chewing gum and make it into balls of the sizes you're considering (carefully set on a ruler to measure). Then stick them on your ears and see what you think. :) The same size can look quite different on different people, depending on the size of their earlobes.

Or, personally, I'd start with the price difference. If it's a big consideration to you, I suggest getting the smaller ones because the smallish size difference between the two options won't be what people notice on your wedding day at all.

But if the price difference is not a big consideration to you, then I'd definitely get the larger pair. 8.5-9.0mm pearl studs are not huge by any estimation anyway, and over time, many of us on here always seem to want to go bigger. It's jokingly called "PSS" (Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome) but it's sooooo real lol. So you might be happier with the slightly larger pair longer and wear them more later (if you're like many of us on here!)

For ex., I had some high quality (hanadama) 7.7 akoya studs maybe a decade ago. I was thrilled with them for a year or two but then found myself only wearing them when I didn't want to be noticed (like when I hadn't had time to do my hair and makeup before leaving the house). Then my 8.5-9.0 (Tahitian) studs became my go-to earrings instead (and still would be except that I lost one of them and haven't replaced it yet). IMO, *IF* you can easily afford it, bigger is better!

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you wearing your hair up for your wedding (or a hair style which shows your ears)? If so, my vote is for 9mm pearl earrings.

If you are wearing your hair down (or your hair covers your ears), I'd vote for 8mm pearls.

FWIW, I do think the 8mm pearl earrings you are wearing in your posted photo are lovely and elegant, and would be an excellent choice for your wedding regardless of hairstyle.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One crazy but easy trick I know to see the difference on your own ears is to chew up some chewing gum and make it into balls of the sizes you're considering (carefully set on a ruler to measure). Then stick them on your ears and see what you think. :) The same size can look quite different on different people, depending on the size of their earlobes.
I was just thinking Blu Tack... In similar vein... :bigsmile:

8-8.5 or 8.5-9 would be a question of price and quality for me. At most there's a 0.98mm size difference - not a ton... But I know pricing can change pretty drastically as you make marginal size increases. If going with 8-8.5 allowed me to buy a higher quality of pearl, then for me that's an easy choice.

Would you want the little diamond below?

SGV_Gal

Rough_Rock
IMHO, I would advise getting the 8-8.5mm as the 8mm one looks nice on you.

Here is a pic of my 10mm Tahitian from PP that I bought about 10 years ago in my big fat earlobe.

pp_tahitian_studs.jpg

DK :))

Thanks for the picture!

SGV_Gal

Rough_Rock

Or, personally, I'd start with the price difference. If it's a big consideration to you, I suggest getting the smaller ones because the smallish size difference between the two options won't be what people notice on your wedding day at all.

But if the price difference is not a big consideration to you, then I'd definitely get the larger pair. 8.5-9.0mm pearl studs are not huge by any estimation anyway, and over time, many of us on here always seem to want to go bigger. It's jokingly called "PSS" (Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome) but it's sooooo real lol. So you might be happier with the slightly larger pair longer and wear them more later (if you're like many of us on here!)

For ex., I had some high quality (hanadama) 7.7 akoya studs maybe a decade ago. I was thrilled with them for a year or two but then found myself only wearing them when I didn't want to be noticed (like when I hadn't had time to do my hair and makeup before leaving the house). Then my 8.5-9.0 (Tahitian) studs became my go-to earrings instead (and still would be except that I lost one of them and haven't replaced it yet). IMO, *IF* you can easily afford it, bigger is better!

I was worried about PSS! :lol-2: The price difference is doable but I’ll have to cut back on other shopping.

SGV_Gal

Rough_Rock
Are you wearing your hair up for your wedding (or a hair style which shows your ears)? If so, my vote is for 9mm pearl earrings.

If you are wearing your hair down (or your hair covers your ears), I'd vote for 8mm pearls.

FWIW, I do think the 8mm pearl earrings you are wearing in your posted photo are lovely and elegant, and would be an excellent choice for your wedding regardless of hairstyle.

I’ll haven’t decided on a hairstyle yet. The wedding had to be pushed back a year due to covid. My work got busy at the same time so I haven’t had much time to think about the wedding.

SGV_Gal

Rough_Rock
I was just thinking Blu Tack... In similar vein... :bigsmile:

8-8.5 or 8.5-9 would be a question of price and quality for me. At most there's a 0.98mm size difference - not a ton... But I know pricing can change pretty drastically as you make marginal size increases. If going with 8-8.5 allowed me to buy a higher quality of pearl, then for me that's an easy choice.

Would you want the little diamond below?

I might try play doh since it’s easier to find. I’m going to buy from @molinePDG after I saw your recommendation in another thread so the quality will be good. His IG pictures look amazing! I don’t want a diamond on this one so it can be a more casual option for before/after the wedding.

SGV_Gal

Rough_Rock
I think that the best thing to do it go to your local jewellery store and try some on. You don't need to buy from them but it's the best way to see what suits you and the size you are most comfortable wearing. 8-8.5 mm is a nice size and really won't cost too much. If you look at the big online stores you can see the prices for AAA and Hanadama.

That would be ideal but I don’t have the energy with my current work load.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well that's understandable , I think you will be fine either way. That 8mm looks very good.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might try play doh since it’s easier to find. I’m going to buy from @molinePDG after I saw your recommendation in another thread so the quality will be good. His IG pictures look amazing! I don’t want a diamond on this one so it can be a more casual option for before/after the wedding.

Oh! You’re in great hands for akoya with him :love:

I’m wear pearl studs much more than diamonds these days! They feel more low-key, a little less overwrought - I agree that plain ol’ studs would be the most wearable option.

I will say that in general I’ve found that my appreciation for larger stud sizes has increased dramatically over the years... So I err up when possible :bigsmile:

Congratulations!! And. Oh. I remember wedding planning being quite the challenge without Covid - I have no idea what it’s like right now but I can’t imagine anything is easier, stay sane! ::)

nkc

Shiny_Rock
I’m planning to buy akoya pearl stud earrings for my wedding next year. I can’t decide between 8-8.5 mm or 8.5-9 mm. Does anyone have pictures of 8.5-9 mm in the ear? Any opinions on size? For reference I have pictures of two pearl studs earrings in my ear.

About 8mm

16A2BDD9-C540-450F-9B1A-8E3AA8C75FA0.jpeg
About 6.5-7 mm
E5A679AD-77B8-4ED0-BD07-73738B939091.jpeg

I hope my reply is not too late. I personally wouldn't go bigger than 8-8.5. I think the size of the one you are wearing in the picture is nice and would be the biggest I would go.
I think it is important to pick what suits you and not what looks big. So, it is not a question of price in my opinion. However, quality is somewhat important if you can see the difference.
Congratulation!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Remember you want something which will show in the photos as earrings and not that odd smudge on your ear.
But at the same time you don't want to wear an expensive purchase once only. You want something you will want to wear every day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results