shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl Station Necklaces?

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all! I was wondering if any of you pearl lovers has a pearl station necklace. If so, how often do you wear it? What do you think compared to a standard strand of pearls? I have a strand and find I don’t wear them as much as I thought I would, as they feel very dressy to me, and I thought I might wear a station necklace more. I want something with a little more presence than just a pendant. What do you think?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Station necklaces, of any design, come into their own mostly as a hot and sticky weather alternative to a 'regular' strand. How light or heavy a station necklace is depends on all the variables of pearl size and shape, chain size and shape and spacing of pearls.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont have one yet, but plan to buy one or have one made for all the reasons you said :) following with interest to see what you end up with

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Station necklaces, of any design, come into their own mostly as a hot and sticky weather alternative to a 'regular' strand. How light or heavy a station necklace is depends on all the variables of pearl size and shape, chain size and shape and spacing of pearls.

Yes I live in a very hot/humid area which impacts things!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I live in a very hot/humid area which impacts things!

i brought a fun three stand regular necklace for beach weather
worst idea ever , i save it for winter
but my 90's pearl sttaion necklaces i never wear

but @FL_runner one thing i will say if i can is
the more you wear your pearls the more you get used to wearing them and you can make them dressy or casual
its just a mindset thing

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
I have had several: an inexpensive freshwater station necklace, which I did wear a lot in the summer; and a very nice version with 7 golden South Sea pearls which I seldom wore and eventually sold because the golden color didn't flatter my complexion. But I did enjoy both as they felt "less dressy" to me than a strand and more versatile.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all! I was wondering if any of you pearl lovers has a pearl station necklace. If so, how often do you wear it? What do you think compared to a standard strand of pearls? I have a strand and find I don’t wear them as much as I thought I would, as they feel very dressy to me, and I thought I might wear a station necklace more. I want something with a little more presence than just a pendant. What do you think?

A few PSers have pearl station necklaces. I can’t comment on wear habits because I don’t wear any necklaces at all, my sprinkle included, but I wanted to say that if you decide to repurpose the strand you’ve already got - as long as you save the unused pearls you can always go back to a regular strand one day!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inspo pic from IG. Love this look so much
Screenshot_20221218-122649_Instagram.jpg

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
I think they're a really nice alternative! I have a faux daisy pearl choker (13-15 inch) that I wear in the summer. A 5-7 floating pearl necklace is another option. It would give you some flexibility because you can add or remove pearls individually. I've had one in the making for about a year. Haha.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a 20 inch one I wear a lot in summer. I like the length and it sits over a t-shirt neckline so keeps it away from sun lotion etc. I have a longer one with larger pearls that I don’t enjoy as much.

They’re definitely more casual - there’s no way I’d wear a full strand of pearls unless it was ombré/bubble/something slightly less traditional.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had made some for myself, however, I did not like the look of them, and preferred to wear strands, pendants or just a single large pearl with a wire through its centre instead.

DK :))

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made myself one but hardly ever wore it. I prefer strands.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok silly question, but do these "floating" or "station" necklaces require metal between pearls? @pearlsngems how did you make one for yourself?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They are called station necklaces because the pearls - or other gems - are stationed along a chain or perhaps a length of leather cord, so yes, lovedogs, they need metal or something and the pearls can be stationed along the short lengths of chain either by wire wrapping or by using pendant caps soldered onto the chain

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tagging @MakingTheGrade - she wire wraps herself and has made a bunch of station pieces ❤️

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok silly question, but do these "floating" or "station" necklaces require metal between pearls? @pearlsngems how did you make one for yourself?

I inserted a short length of wire through each pearl and made wrapped loops on either end of the wire, connecting the loops to form a chain.

I made another station necklace on hemp, with mostly semi-precious stone beads, plus a few pearls, knotting the hemp to position the beads. This one I actually enjoy wearing in the summer. I prefer the feeling of hemp over the feeling of wire loops on my skin and I like its very casual appearance. Instead of knots one could use crimps to hold the beads in position.

Another way to make a station necklace is to buy little metal tubes to string onto the thread between the pearls.

I have some 3mm black spinel beads that I may use to make another station necklace, using maybe 10 beads between each pearl. I might use a Beadalon silicone bumper to protect the pearls from the spinel beads immediately next to them.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I meant to add but forgot!!

If anyone’s looking for a non-wire-wrap style station piece (the sort where each pearl is held with cups and each cup has a jump ring that chain attaches to) - I can’t recommend Whiteflash enough!!

Yes, they’re a diamond vendor, but their pearl work is *pristine*!! They’ll hand-make each cup to fit each pearl. Anyone who’s used mass-produced findings has probably encountered non-spherical cups, wonky pins, jagged edges… And of course you can use whatever gold colour you want - rose gold findings are basically impossible to get otherwise! And their pricing is very very reasonable.

Okay. Unpaid advertisement over. But seriously, I’m so happy with all the pearl work WF has done for me.

Really over now. :lol:

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I meant to add but forgot!!

If anyone’s looking for a non-wire-wrap style station piece (the sort where each pearl is held with cups and each cup has a jump ring that chain attaches to) - I can’t recommend Whiteflash enough!!

Yes, they’re a diamond vendor, but their pearl work is *pristine*!! They’ll hand-make each cup to fit each pearl. Anyone who’s used mass-produced findings has probably encountered non-spherical cups, wonky pins, jagged edges… And of course you can use whatever gold colour you want - rose gold findings are basically impossible to get otherwise! And their pricing is very very reasonable.

Okay. Unpaid advertisement over. But seriously, I’m so happy with all the pearl work WF has done for me.

Really over now. :lol:

Yssie, did you send Whiteflash your own pearls and ask them to set them? Or did they source the pearls for you? I think it must be the former, since you're so particular about pearls--yes? And did they drill the pearls, or were they already drilled?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, did you send Whiteflash your own pearls and ask them to set them? Or did they source the pearls for you? I think it must be the former, since you're so particular about pearls--yes? And did they drill the pearls, or were they already drilled?
For the akoya sprinkle - I sent WF my own pearls, yes! They were from Andrew Moline and they were already full-drilled. For my studs with my Paspaley south sea pair, I sent the pearls to Pearl Paradise for drilling and they forwarded them to WF for mounting. My peace of mind needed the drilling to be done by people who do it all day everyday
::)

I did send WF a note asking if they'd considered sourcing tippy top akoya. They have such a stellar reputation in the diamond world, and so much of their business is bridal, and what could be more “wedding” than pearls :bigsmile: And for anyone who isn't comfy with the hodge-podge ways we have our pieces made, buying some gems here and some gems there and shipping the lot somewhere else for mounting - there really isn't anywhere for those people to go for fully custom work! I would love to see WF extend their reputation into this industry ❤️

Last edited:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
For the akoya sprinkle - I sent WF my own pearls, yes! They were from Andrew Moline and they were already full-drilled. For my studs with my Paspaley south sea pair, I sent the pearls to Pearl Paradise for drilling and they forwarded them to WF for mounting. My peace of mind needed the drilling to be done by people who do it all day everyday
::)

I did send WF a note asking if they'd considered sourcing tippy top akoya. They have such a stellar reputation in the diamond world, and so much of their business is bridal, and what could be more “wedding” than pearls :bigsmile: And for anyone who isn't comfy with the hodge-podge ways we have our pieces made, buying some gems here and some gems there and shipping the lot somewhere else for mounting - there really isn't anywhere for those people to go for fully custom work! I would love to see WF extend their reputation into this industry ❤️

I think it would be such a great move for them to have a curated, high quality pearl line! That would be a dream come true.

I’m thinking Paperclip chain with pearls now, it’s trendy but I love the slight edginess…

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be such a great move for them to have a curated, high quality pearl line! That would be a dream come true.

I’m thinking Paperclip chain with pearls now, it’s trendy but I love the slight edginess…

I totally get it. I love Tiffany HW. Not paper clip but same sort of aesthetic. And some of Mikimoto’s mens’ pieces. :love:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I totally get it. I love Tiffany HW. Not paper clip but same sort of aesthetic. And some of Mikimoto’s mens’ pieces. :love:

I’m digging the M code and mens’ lines!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
So I’m going to try out an item from PP, it’s somewhere between a station necklace and a strand- From their new Paperclip collection, it has 7 8mm akoyas centered at the bottom.

I also found a killer 24 inch Tahitian station necklace on a heavy chain that’s a little $$$ so I’ll add it to the wishlist!

A34CAEB0-317E-4BA9-A6D2-C28EDCAB6D98.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I’m going to try out an item from PP, it’s somewhere between a station necklace and a strand- From their new Paperclip collection, it has 7 8mm akoyas centered at the bottom.

I also found a killer 24 inch Tahitian station necklace on a heavy chain that’s a little $$$ so I’ll add it to the wishlist!

A34CAEB0-317E-4BA9-A6D2-C28EDCAB6D98.jpeg

If the pearls were spaced out like a station I'd be alllll over this! So pretty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results