shape
carat
color
clarity

pearl durability

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
Now that I have my first 2 strands of real pearls (pearl paradise), it seems like a good time to ask.

So, here are my questions,

1. Do the knots in between the pearls loosen up in time? They look a little bit kinky coming out of the box.

2. Which pearls are the MOST durable and which are the LEAST? (Grandma's Majorcas will win, I am sure- wink, wink) But, with respect to the real stuff, I read somewhere that freshwaters were more durable than the others. Where do tahitians and south seas (both not freshwaters) and all the other guys rank?

I'm asking b/c while I know that lotions and perfumes aren't good for pearls, and you CAN control that, its a bit harder to regulate your perspiration and skin's natural oils. Does this mean I shouldn't wear my pearls in the summer?

Please advise and answer questions. (please tell me tahitians are durable...lol)

Thanks!

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
Nobody has anything to say on the topic? What has been your personal experience with your pearls so far?

beadchick|1311645894|2976796 said:
Now that I have my first 2 strands of real pearls (pearl paradise), it seems like a good time to ask.

1. Do the knots in between the pearls loosen up in time? They look a little bit kinky coming out of the box.

2. Which pearls are the MOST durable and which are the LEAST? (Grandma's Majorcas will win, I am sure- wink, wink) But, with respect to the real stuff, I read somewhere that freshwaters were more durable than the others. Where do tahitians and south seas (both not freshwaters) and all the other guys rank?

I'm asking b/c while I know that lotions and perfumes aren't good for pearls, and you CAN control that, its a bit harder to regulate your perspiration and skin's natural oils. Does this mean I shouldn't wear my pearls in the summer?

Please advise and answer questions. (please tell me tahitians are durable...lol)

Thanks!

Sorry! I saw this post the other night and was going to reply but was very tired. Then I forgot.

1. The knots loosen up. They make them as tight as possible so that the strand doesn't get LOOSE before it should. After wearing it for a while, the thread will relax. After a lot of wear, it will start to wear out and get loose where the knots are far from the pearls. This is when you need to have it restrung.

2. This is how I would categorize pearls and durability for me:

-freshwaters- all nacre ;-)
-tahitians/ - quality ones will have the appropriate mm thickness of nacre- cheap china knock-offs usually don't
-south sea - " above "
-akoya - usually very thin layers of nacre - but they are so stunning! The mirror like luster is unlike anything else. But, well, if you want a more durable alternative I would look at some of the vendors that have metallic freshwaters (like PP). I know other companies carry them but I can't remember what they are called off hand.. (presidential? I think?)

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also wear my pearls less in the summer. I know it shouldn't matter.. but I just do! I wear the akoyas more in the winter and the SS and tahitians when it's not blazing hot out.

For the most part, I wouldn't worry as long as you wipe them down after use. Pearls are meant to be loved :love:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
bean|1311809962|2978393 said:
beadchick|1311645894|2976796 said:

Thanks!

Sorry! I saw this post the other night and was going to reply but was very tired. Then I forgot.

1. The knots loosen up. They make them as tight as possible so that the strand doesn't get LOOSE before it should. After wearing it for a while, the thread will relax. After a lot of wear, it will start to wear out and get loose where the knots are far from the pearls. This is when you need to have it restrung.

2. This is how I would categorize pearls and durability for me:

-freshwaters- all nacre ;-)
-tahitians/ - quality ones will have the appropriate mm thickness of nacre- cheap china knock-offs usually don't
-south sea - " above "
-akoya - usually very thin layers of nacre - but they are so stunning! The mirror like luster is unlike anything else. But, well, if you want a more durable alternative I would look at some of the vendors that have metallic freshwaters (like PP). I know other companies carry them but I can't remember what they are called off hand.. (presidential? I think?)
Beans answer is spot on. But I would add last on, first off. Enjoy your pearls :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results