shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl Drops from Tucson 2023

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The number of vendors offering quality pearls could be counted on one hand at Tucson 2023.

The first public show I attended was JOGS, and there was a Tahitian pearl vendor at the show.

I spent ages going through their bags of loose pearls and managed to find this pair of drop-shaped pearls that I like.

I am very fussy about the shape and the need to be a good match, and was pleased with these.

There is a notable difference in colour when they are side by side, however, the difference in colour and surface imperfections etc. are acceptable when they are worn as earrings.

I believe they are about 10.5mm at the widest point.

I requested for them to be full drilled so that I could wire-wrap them myself, to find them to be half drilled when I finally received them today. So off they go back to the vendor for full drilling at my own expense, as I would rather conserve my energy for other issues in life.

Photos are the new pearls and the interchangeable drops I have for my tiny diamond huggies so far, please excuse the dry hand.

20230310_114910.jpg

How they look against my other interchangeable drops to date.
LHS: the smaller pearls (pink, white and lavender CFWP, however, the round ones could be Akoyas - they came from a mix bag of off cuts from PP many years ago) and my disco diamond drops.
RHS, the mix-match pair from Takahashi with the tiny huggies, a pair of white Eddison drops, the new pearls from Tucson, a pair of low grade Tahitians from an Etsy seller, and a 10mm semi round ones from an eBay seller that I had for years.

20230310_122945.jpg

The new pearls are bigger and nicer than the two existing Tahitian drops that I have. However, they are not as nice as the Tahitian drop I got from Takahashi as part of the mis-match pair. As they were only about a third of the price of the mis-match pair, I can't complain!

DK :))

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
How disappointing that there were so few pearl vendors in Tuscon. Still, it must have been fun to go through all the lovely loose pearls!

I love that you create interchangeable drops for your huggies---such a great way to curate an extensive collection with a lot of variety! Are the largest white pearls the Edisons?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How disappointing that there were so few pearl vendors in Tuscon. Still, it must have been fun to go through all the lovely loose pearls!

I love that you create interchangeable drops for your huggies---such a great way to curate an extensive collection with a lot of variety! Are the largest white pearls the Edisons?

Thanks!

The largest white pearl drops are indeed Edisons, and they are a tad too large for my liking, as I can feel them touching the sides of my face when I wear them.

The mis-matched pair from Takahashi are just right for me.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
How big are your Edisons? I'm intrigued by Edisons but I still don't really know much about them.

I've wanted to create my own hoop/dangle earrings with interchangeable drops for quite some time now, but I also want to have gemstone drops and I fear the cost of that. (And, I don't think I could make those on my own.)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How big are your Edisons? I'm intrigued by Edisons but I still don't really know much about them.

I've wanted to create my own hoop/dangle earrings with interchangeable drops for quite some time now, but I also want to have gemstone drops and I fear the cost of that. (And, I don't think I could make those on my own.)

I believe they are about 12mm.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Which show did you attend ? There's several venues there.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ah , yes the good vendors tend to be in the actual Trade Show. Not surprised you didn't find many pearl sellers .
But lots of Interesting things to see at the public shows !

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pearls have been returned to me fully drilled, and I have wire-wrapped them myself.

20230403_181941.jpg

They are a good size on my ears, apologies for the quality of the photos as I am not very good at taking selfies!

20230403_182258.jpg 20230403_182355.jpg

Not too bad a match, one is slightly darker, however, considering they cost about a third of what I paid for the Takahashi mis-matched pair, I don't believe I have done too badly.

Attachments

• 20230403_182323.jpg
    20230403_182323.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 44

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous DK!!!!! I love the size and the shine!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results