shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl color vs Gold color

OK so 4 years ago if you would've asked me what color metal I like, I would've said a million times, WHITE GOLD or PLATINUM only! In fact, in 06 my new boyfriend (now DH ::) ) bought me a gold necklace and I thought... "ewww.. what am I? in the 1980's?"

But, slowly, after venturing into pearls in '09, I started seeing a lot more pearls with yellow gold... and I loved it! I love love love tahitians (green, peacock) with yellow gold. I think it looks simply stunning. Now, I've actually picked out a few items with yellow gold and I love them! (while others say... er... why did you get yellow gold?) I feel, for me, that yellow gold looks more real, and makes the strand/ earrings look less fake to me. I dunno.

So how does everyone else pick their metal color? Just based on what they prefer to wear, or based on the pearl colors or some other way?

I am curious because sometimes I see pieces that I think would look way better in wg/ yg and wonder why that metal was picked with those shades of pearls!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Some people will tell you that it's a personal preference, whereas for me I choose metal based on pearl color. My wedding set is yellow gold and I wear mostly yellow, some are 18K, and 22K which have that orangy color, depending on who makes them. But mine aren't that gawdy, I don't think. I choose YG with dark green, peacock, etc. I sometimes wonder why people match dark Tahitian pearls with white gold, because personally, I don't think they go together. Note: I've seen lots of FP pearl stores and pictures match their pearls to YG, usually 18K.

For light, silvery Tahitian pearls, I choose WG. For FW, I usually choose YG, sometimes WG for really light color.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I pick the metal color based on the pearl color, or the gemstone color. Yellow gold is my first choice, if it works, then white gold. I can wear either metal color just fine, so that isn't an issue.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Every time gold hits a new high, yellow gold comes into style.

I have had a hard time buying jewelry that last few years, because I always loved yellow gold. It bugged me that white gold could just as easily be silver if you didn't know better.

That being said, I much prefer diamonds in white gold. Though I don't actually care for platinum because it scratches like mad.

I think there is a good balance in the jewelry trade now, and people are picking the gold color to go with the stone. I think red and green belong in yellow, light blue in white and so on.

I like white, golden and dark black pearls with yellow gold, I like silver tahitians with white gold.

HHPmom|1292859547|2801728 said:
Some people will tell you that it's a personal preference, whereas for me I choose metal based on pearl color. My wedding set is yellow gold and I wear mostly yellow, some are 18K, and 22K which have that orangy color, depending on who makes them. But mine aren't that gawdy, I don't think. I choose YG with dark green, peacock, etc. I sometimes wonder why people match dark Tahitian pearls with white gold, because personally, I don't think they go together. Note: I've seen lots of FP pearl stores and pictures match their pearls to YG, usually 18K.

For light, silvery Tahitian pearls, I choose WG. For FW, I usually choose YG, sometimes WG for really light color.

You know, seeing your pearls (even in the other forum, I am not a member yet, but I go there to drool!) Make me WANT a very green bracelet or necklace with the laser cut smaller yellow gold beads I mean.. :love: :love: wow. HHP you have such a gorgeous collection that I could only hope to own a few pearls that have the amazing color that yours do! Next time you make a trip to PP let me know :D maybe you can be my personal shopper :D :D :D

But back to the pearl/ gold colors... I really like the silver tahitians with WG clasps, but I am stuck on what looks best with white pearls?? I think they might be a toss up and both colors would work, but it depends on the outfit maybe?

The think with WG is that I think it CAN look cheap because a silver or plated version would look almost exactly the same... so if you're spending a few grand on a necklace it would be nice if the clasp looked fitting to the necklace right?

I'm mostly just rambling...

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi bean,

Thank you. You are so nice. Actually over the summer, I was my co-worker's personal shopper at PP. He did not have a big purchase, just the tahitian leather bracelet with 3 baroque pearls that I chose.

As far as white pearls, I have both WG and YG clasps. As long as your hair covers the clasp it doesn't matter, unless you use the type of clasp that can be worn in the front, or lariat style. Metal colors matter more for pendants, earrings, chains, me thinks. I guess for a nice necklace, it doesn't hurt to pay extra for a diamond clasp that can be worn at the front as a centerpiece. So far, I haven't done that, but just let the pearls speak for themselves rather than the clasp.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results