2.32 Emerald or 2.01 Antique Pear?

• 2.32 Emerald cut in a halo

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • 2.01 Antique Pear in halo

Votes: 48 67.6%

• Total voters

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I have come to crunch time and am pulling the trigger today.... My problem is that I love both of these shapes. I am not used to step cuts as I have never owned one. I want to feel this upgrade (ten year anniversary) as this will be the second and final upgrade.

I have used that comparison website showing how the stones will look on my finger, without halo.

The pear is 10.23 x 7.39 x 4.42 mm

The emerald is 8.64 x 6.45 x 4.25 mm

I love that the pear is an antique and has history, I would likely have VC set this, which in itself will be amazing, proably the Emilya.

My local diamond merchant has the emerald so I would have that set locally.

I would halo the pear with half pointers and the emerald with one pointers. Given the different shapes Im unsure if the pear will look that much bigger than the emerald, or am I blind?

I will attach pictures of both stones.

I realise they are TOTALLY different but Im running a poll to help me!

For those who havnt seen the certs and would like to:

Pear GIA - http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=2171041543&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

Emerald GIA - http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=7196932782

Will add emerald pics in reply as I cant add anymore!

pearongrace.jpg

pearone.jpg

_35646.jpg

Attachments

• _124.pdf
    287.1 KB · Views: 177

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
more pics:

Emerald is f si1 ex vg

pear is g vs1 vg g

_35647.jpg

eme1.jpg

eme2.jpg

eme3.jpg

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
The pear, the pear, the antique pear! For rarity and finger coverage and amazing beauty. You have posted 2 totally diff. looks in diamonds...like apples to zebras...LOL. I do like the med. blue fl. in the emerald cut. Can't comment on the emerald unless you can get ASET image. But you have seen it in person so you must like it's performance.

The 7.5mm width of the pear vs the 6.5mm width of the emerald will make a big diff. in finger coverage.

I had a 2.1 radiant that was 6.5 x 9 and set it E/W and it faced up close to a 3c radiant look and was very impressive on
my size 5 finger.

What size is your finger?

I just absolutely love the antique chunky fat pears and one day would love to own one. The G color in an antique is extremely rare.

Order the pear and compare the two side by side. Then YOU will know which one you LOVE!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted the pear. I like the width on the pear. I am a round brilliant diamond person though. It is good to see responses but really is your and only your choice when it costs this much money.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The finger presence of the pear seems greater than the emerald cut would be.

It's a more unique cut and shape, in general.

Pear

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pear :love:

Q

Queenie60

Pear - hands down!!! :love:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone who has commented and voted so far! Keep them coming!!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
The pear! I think it's stunning, yet in a softer, more feminine way. The EC is stunning, but in a more commanding way. And the pear is antique, which also gives it an edge.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is very tough! I'd love the antique pear as a secondary diamond ring for myself, but if I had to do a final upgrade for my e-ring, I'd probably choose the emerald cut because it is such a timeless shape. I just think I might tire more easily of the pear if it was my only diamond ring. That said, I would not limit my emerald search to one. I am not sure about SI1 clarity on an emerald cut. I love that pear, though. Hard decision!

Why wouldn't you have Victor set either stone? I really wouldn't trust that type of setting to most jewelers.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pear! Much more finger coverage and I love an antique pear.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Between those two- the pear hands down. I agree with the others- it's more unique and I am digging the culet.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
In the end, it truly doesn't matter what any one but you thinks! What makes your heart soar your whole life when you see them? Pears or emeralds?

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
While the pear is lovely & unique I would choose the EC, but I love step cut diamonds! They're such dramatically different looks.

With the VC halo as your setting choice honestly I would pick the EC. To me that's a modern setting. If choosing the pear I would pick a setting with an antique vibe.

How many EC's have you looked at? Did you consider having GOG call some in? I'm asking because I think you've seen the one listed in this thread IRL, correct? If it were the stone for you I think you would know. A great performing EC can be spectacular, but many just don't have that going on & don't light up.

Best of luck with your decision!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
(yes and If I am voting, of course I am saying the EC lol- all good points woof mama)

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ariel - my finger is a size 4 1/2 - the pics in my thread show the pesr on a size 7 finger.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's worth considering that you've been looking for the "right" ec for a while now, then you (at least it seems) saw that pear and it seems to have stolen your heart.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I haven't read any of the other responses so my reply isn't colored by reading theirs (sorry if this is repeat). I also love pears and step cuts. But I have a step cut colored stone, and the thing is impossible to keep clean. Brilliant cuts just seem more wearable to me in that way--they sparkle a lot regardless of cleanliness. And that antique pear with the culet is TO DIE FOR. It's amazing. I love it. It's unique, nobody else is going to have anything like that. And it's going to be way bigger, visually, on your hand vs. the emerald. No doubt about it. Pears face up larger. And with a halo? Hoo boy, that's going to be a KNOCKOUT ring. I don't think you'll suffer from diamond shrinkage syndrome for a long while with that baby on your hand. :bigsmile:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you thank you everyone. It really means a lot me to me that you all took time out of your day to reply and vote and help me.

A factor I think I may have mentioned in another thread which is different but worth mentioning is I do have an emerald cut Colombian emerald, just over 2 carats so I'm leaning more toward the pear. I realise a Colombian emerald is not a diamond but it's something playing on my mind.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Lauren, what a tough decision! I love both, and I'm sure you do too, yikes. I have a Y-Z pear in a halo and I do love the shape of it on my hand. But then I think of the EC halo that Frankie posted in another thread and it is gorgeous too. I'm not helping lol. I think you'll have to go to other factors to decide - a pp made a good point about it being really hard to keep an EC clean, and the fact that you have an EC shaped stone is making me lean towards the pear. The pear will have more hand presence than the EC I think too. You can't go wrong with either, good luck deciding!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lauren, this is such a personal decision as there is no right or wrong when it comes to shape you prefer if you kwim. Sure we know you want the best cut but after that it is all subjective IMO. If it was my choice it is a no brainer for me because I LOVE LOVE LOVE that antique pear. Gorgeous chunky facets, great color and great shape. No question that would be the one for me. I also love emerald cuts but that pear is speaking volumes to me. :love: :love: :love:

I would go for an antique style setting or a genuine antique setting if I was going to get that vintage pear however to fit with the vibe of the stone. JMO.

Good luck and have fun with it! :appl:

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Pear! Antique cuts are so unique, you'll never find another one just like it. I swear! I've been chasing my "perfect" antique cushion for years now :(

alamana

Shiny_Rock
The pear! But by way of full disclosure -- I'm a pear wearer!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried both on your hand at a store?

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
The pear looks special. I once tried a pear and baguettes on my hand and it looked so beautiful, I let people talk me out of it because it's not as popular of a shape, but that makes it more special and then it's antique taboot! I have tried on emerald cut diamonds and they look small, good ones that light on and off are hard to find and I would not choose one that was a SI in clarity as it's one of those shapes that shows everything even a finger smudge. A brilliant cut and step cut are very different and while I would worry about a prominent bow tie, you already found a pear and with a culet. Emerald cuts are very sophisticated but a pear is very feminine.The coverage between the two is a no brainer.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I have tried Both emerald cuts and pears and I keep dreaming about the pear and get excited when I see votes toward the pear. I realise its entirely up to me but there's no harm in a bit of fun and some wonderful comments and suggestions.

I'd consider doing side baguettes on the pear however I don't like all the prongs and the v shaped prong on its nose which is why I felt a halo would help minimize this plus be extra protection to its delicate nose. I did see a three stone pear which was Devine... But I feel a dainty half pointer halo (or would you go to one pointers?) with a 2mm shank would be ideal. If I could set it with side bags without all the extra prongs I'd definitely consider it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
laurenk|1450485439|3963277 said:
I have tried Both emerald cuts and pears and I keep dreaming about the pear and get excited when I see votes toward the pear. I realise its entirely up to me but there's no harm in a bit of fun and some wonderful comments and suggestions.

I'd consider doing side baguettes on the pear however I don't like all the prongs and the v shaped prong on its nose which is why I felt a halo would help minimize this plus be extra protection to its delicate nose. I did see a three stone pear which was Devine... But I feel a dainty half pointer halo (or would you go to one pointers?) with a 2mm shank would be ideal. If I could set it with side bags without all the extra prongs I'd definitely consider it.

Well I made this fore you though it sounds like you've already decided. The right vendor can make prongs at the tips that aren't ugly. I'll find some pics. In the meantime

photogrid_1450485947133.jpg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the pear is gorgeous but I also like EC's very much. Of course the finger coverage with the pear will be more than an EC of the same carat weight. I think it is more what you think you will like for a long time, assuming you don't forsee an upgrade anytime in the future. Have you asked Grace about the notation on the GIA cert about "clouds not shown"?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results