shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear Shaped Pendant Advice

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Monday everyone!! Decided against an Asscher for a pendant, but I hear Pears are great for pendants. What is the best size for a Pear stone? Does it matter if I get a lower, warmer color? Will it show up against my cool, brown skin tone?

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to add I like the wide, short, fat pears better than the elongated ones...

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I'm looking for a yellow diamond pear .50 - 80

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
caribbeanbridetobe|1457397905|4001274 said:
I forgot to add I like the wide, short, fat pears better than the elongated ones...

I like pears on the fatter side, but not too chubby that I lose length. My sweet spot ratio is around 1.4-1.5. I did not go lower than I color for my search, and the pear I chose has strong white fluorescence!

I found Jamesallen's site to be helpful because they list the ratios and have those great 360 videos.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
caribbeanbridetobe|1457394251|4001251 said:
Happy Monday everyone!! Decided against an Asscher for a pendant, but I hear Pears are great for pendants. What is the best size for a Pear stone? Does it matter if I get a lower, warmer color? Will it show up against my cool, brown skin tone?
For a reference, I'm a Mac NC-25 to NC-30 in skin tone, and chose to go no lower than an I because the tip of the pear can show more color as opposed to round brilliants, which I am comfortable with in a K with Fluor or with gray body color (my pendant is K with gray-yellow body color)

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1457404184|4001311 said:
caribbeanbridetobe|1457397905|4001274 said:

I like pears on the fatter side, but not too chubby that I lose length. My sweet spot ratio is around 1.4-1.5. I did not go lower than I color for my search, and the pear I chose has strong white fluorescence!

I found Jamesallen's site to be helpful because they list the ratios and have those great 360 videos.

Is bigger better when selecting a Pear? Or is a smaller pear better? I'm debating between .75-1ct...but idk how big a 1ct pear is compared to a round brilliant (I have a 1ct RB)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like a lot of bling, so I let my budget dictate size. No such thing as too big to me! :lol:

If you google "actual size of diamond" and look under images, a bunch of charts pop up that give an approximation of diamond size versus millimeters. Roughly, a 1 ct round is about 6.5mm while a pear could be 8.5x5.5mm

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1457408820|4001330 said:
I like a lot of bling, so I let my budget dictate size. No such thing as too big to me! :lol:

If you google "actual size of diamond" and look under images, a bunch of charts pop up that give an approximation of diamond size versus millimeters. Roughly, a 1 ct round is about 6.5mm while a pear could be 8.5x5.5mm

I just don't want to get stuck with a narrow, elongated pear size :/

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
caribbeanbridetobe|1457411099|4001337 said:

Step 1 - hide the wallet to prevent impulsive purchase :dance:
Step 2 - check out JamesAllen.com to determine what your ideal ratio is to narrow down the search. These are just a few diamonds I spotted that looked chubby to ME. I'm looking at nothing but the shape. Thus, some of these diamonds look like Dalmatians :lol: :lol: :lol:
1.28 ratio http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.70-carat-e-color-i1-clarity-sku-805114

1.32 ratio http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.70-carat-f-color-i1-clarity-sku-805109

1.48 ratio http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.78-carat-e-color-i1-clarity-sku-842738

1.54 ratio http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.73-carat-d-color-i1-clarity-sku-614980

Are any of these diamonds as chubby as you like your pears?

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1457412164|4001340 said:
caribbeanbridetobe|1457411099|4001337 said:

Step 1 - hide the wallet to prevent impulsive purchase :dance:
Step 2 - check out JamesAllen.com to determine what your ideal ratio is to narrow down the search. These are just a few diamonds I spotted that looked chubby to ME. I'm looking at nothing but the shape. Thus, some of these diamonds look like Dalmatians :lol: :lol: :lol:
1.28 ratio http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.70-carat-e-color-i1-clarity-sku-805114

1.32 ratio http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.70-carat-f-color-i1-clarity-sku-805109

1.48 ratio http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.78-carat-e-color-i1-clarity-sku-842738

1.54 ratio http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.73-carat-d-color-i1-clarity-sku-614980

Are any of these diamonds as chubby as you like your pears?

Pinto!!' I love you for posting these pics!!! Omg I am glad hubby wasn't in the room. He thinks I'm obsessed SMH!! Now, clarity doesn't matter so much for a pendant correct? I'm all about size and color, but don't want it to be too spotty at the same time? Maybe Si3 could be the lowest I go. But I love those fatty pears!! So delicious!!! :love: :love: :love: pinto you are my new pear friend on PS!! Lol!!! Seriously though, thank you for sharing your insight!

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Thicker the girdle the better <3

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
caribbeanbridetobe|1457407878|4001324 said:
Is bigger better when selecting a Pear? Or is a smaller pear better? I'm debating between .75-1ct...but idk how big a 1ct pear is compared to a round brilliant (I have a 1ct RB)

Just for size reference this is my approx 1.25ct pear pendant with my approx 1.5ct (each) studs. I apologize for the terrible phone picture, but it was the one I could easily find. I purchased the studs several years ago and have worn them daily. The pear stone was inherited and I reset it last year. I now wear the three of them as my daily set and I feel they work well together.

screenshot_35.png

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Kimmy|1457428581|4001381 said:

Just for size reference this is my approx 1.25ct pear pendant with my approx 1.5ct (each) studs. I apologize for the terrible phone picture, but it was the one I could easily find. I purchased the studs several years ago and have worn them daily. The pear stone was inherited and I reset it last year. I now wear the three of them as my daily set and I feel they work well together.

Wow!! Gorgeous necklace! I like how it is bezel set...something to consider ;-) what is clarity, color grade for your pear if you don't mind sharing?

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
caribbeanbridetobe|1457435736|4001409 said:

Wow!! Gorgeous necklace! I like how it is bezel set...something to consider ;-) what is clarity, color grade for your pear if you don't mind sharing?

Thank you! I find the bezel very comfortable to wear. I sleep and shower in my necklace and studs. The pear was my great grandmother's stone so I can't be certain of the specifics. I would guess the necklace is probably an eye clean SI and perhaps somewhere in the E-G range. My earrings have significantly more color, but that's not obvious when worn together because they are so far apart.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Kimmy|1457438414|4001435 said:
caribbeanbridetobe|1457435736|4001409 said:

Thank you! I find the bezel very comfortable to wear. I sleep and shower in my necklace and studs. The pear was my great grandmother's stone so I can't be certain of the specifics. I would guess the necklace is probably an eye clean SI and perhaps somewhere in the E-G range. My earrings have significantly more color, but that's not obvious when worn together because they are so far apart.

You're so welcome!! Do you prefer the bezel setting other than the pear being exposed in a typical solitaire setting?? I wonder if clarity will matter so much on a pendant. Thoughts?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi pear friend :wavey:
I like to keep clarity no lower than SI1, but if a vendor can find an eye clean SI2 or I-1 with white inclusions that don't compromise the durability of the diamond (e.g., feathers, depending on where they are located), I will consider it. Also, your eye clean expectations for a pendant can be different from a ring because social norms dictate that people not stand and stare so closely at a woman's bosom :lol:

Since you liked the pears I put out as a sample test, it looks like your ratio range is 1.3-1.5, but leaning closer to 1.3 since the pudgier, the better!
patrick%20starfish.jpg
(I couldn't resist! - talk about a pear shaped starfish!:lol: )

Do you have a budget in mind?
A vendor(s) in mind?

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1457451436|4001532 said:
I like to keep clarity no lower than SI1, but if a vendor can find an eye clean SI2 or I-1 with white inclusions that don't compromise the durability of the diamond (e.g., feathers, depending on where they are located), I will consider it. Also, your eye clean expectations for a pendant can be different from a ring because social norms dictate that people not stand and stare so closely at a woman's bosom :lol:

Since you liked the pears I put out as a sample test, it looks like your ratio range is 1.3-1.5, but leaning closer to 1.3 since the pudgier, the better!
patrick%20starfish.jpg

A vendor(s) in mind?

Hehe! Hi friend! I do like the pudgier pears, but I want it to stand out on my chest..since I know that a pear has more "coverage" than say an Asscher (lol)

Budget no more than $2500 (idk what size to get--my neck is somewhat thick but I don't want anything to be too big/gaudy--id like it for everyday wear)

Vendors-IDJ, James Allen, Brian Gavin, & Brilliance. Is IDJ pretty good at deals for pear solitaires?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest calling IDJewelry and ask to speak to Yekutiel. Tell him you are a discerning PS-er, looking to do a pear shaped pendant, and you like them CHUBBY! Tell him the following:
1. a ratio of about 1.3-1.5, but closer to 1.3 the better!
2. about 0.7 ct to 1.0 ct - the bigger the better!
3. white inclusions
4. budget = $2500 all in
5. color probably no lower than I - fluor a bonus (since it can lower price and helps a stone look whiter in natural or artificial lighting with UV)

he will supply you with images for a candidate stone which you can post in this thread for feedback on.

For a setting, I would set aside about $300 (minimum) for the setting - it depends on how fancy of a setting you opt for.

As for length - do you have any chains at home you can play with, lengthwise? For me, 17" hits at the right spot, BUT I am supposed to lose a lot of weight (that I have put off), so I usually ask for 17" chain, jump ring at 16" - that way, if I lose weight, and my neck shrinks, I don't need to do any adjustments to the chain.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1457460496|4001622 said:
I would suggest calling IDJewelry and ask to speak to Yekutiel. Tell him you are a discerning PS-er, looking to do a pear shaped pendant, and you like them CHUBBY! Tell him the following:
1. a ratio of about 1.3-1.5, but closer to 1.3 the better!
2. about 0.7 ct to 1.0 ct - the bigger the better!
3. white inclusions
4. budget = $2500 all in
5. color probably no lower than I - fluor a bonus (since it can lower price and helps a stone look whiter in natural or artificial lighting with UV)

he will supply you with images for a candidate stone which you can post in this thread for feedback on.

For a setting, I would set aside about $300 (minimum) for the setting - it depends on how fancy of a setting you opt for.

As for length - do you have any chains at home you can play with, lengthwise? For me, 17" hits at the right spot, BUT I am supposed to lose a lot of weight (that I have put off), so I usually ask for 17" chain, jump ring at 16" - that way, if I lose weight, and my neck shrinks, I don't need to do any adjustments to the chain.

Have I thought of chains?? Not at all, no chains yet!! :bigsmile: Should I purchase one? Good thinking about the chain! I am interested in a RG or WG chain, but I know WG is probably more timeless, but I looooove Rose Gold! So feminine and delicate! I am now considering a bezel set pear or a pear that is "out in the open" like I like to say. For example, http://images.betteridge.com/images...rat-pear-shaped-diamond-solitaire-pendant.jpg vs. http://www.marshallpierce.com/wordp...e_diamond_pendant_in_white_gold_300-10214.jpg

Although I have to say, I don't like the way the bezel sits on the chain...guess I'll have to do more research :) My husband and I have a family jeweler who has worked with us, so maybe we can meet w/ him and get a good quote..but I will definitely consider calling Yekutiel from IDJ!! THank you, you have been soooo helpful!!! I don't want a super dressy pear pendant either, something for everyday wear would be great. Of course, if it was a stunner that would be amazing too :love: :love: :love:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not crazy about mickey mouse ears on the pear. I actually like the Tiffany dbty pear pendant style a lot.

I like bezels because they make the diamond look bigger. :appl:

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean, what is a decent carat size for a pendant? Any recommendations? I'm considering a bezel now :)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Argh... Ipad froze and my post got eaten!

Hello pear friend :wavey:
In a nutshell, your budget of $2500 and a minimum of 0.7 ct to me is a healthy starting point. Talk to IDJ about their upgrade policy :lol: just in case diamond shrinkage syndrome kicks in, in the future lolol. It's always good to work with a vendor with a good upgrade policy!

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1457499484|4001924 said:
Argh... Ipad froze and my post got eaten!

Hello pear friend :wavey:
In a nutshell, your budget of $2500 and a minimum of 0.7 ct to me is a healthy starting point. Talk to IDJ about their upgrade policy :lol: just in case diamond shrinkage syndrome kicks in, in the future lolol. It's always good to work with a vendor with a good upgrade policy!

Got it, I registered for IDJ & apparently my application is *under review* lol, I feel like I'm applying for a job lol.

So a 3/4ct pear then? I wonder how that would look in a bezel if it faces up really white? Maybe I could spend the budget a little more and move up to a .80 or even .90 pear! Hmmm, I just love big diamonds :love: :love: :love: but for a pendant, not too big. Just big enough for daily wear...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can, CALL and ask to speak to Yekutiel. No registration for My pear friend! VIP lolol. Yekutiel has a knack for getting you the most bang for the buck. He's actually uttered the words, "why do you have to spend so much? Look at THIS diamond! I want to save you money!" :shock: :-o :errrr: and then guess what? I buy something else with my savings. Trust me, he will bling you out.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
PintoBean|1457451436|4001532 said:

patrick%20starfish.jpg

A vendor(s) in mind?

I have to comment when I see Patrick. Nicely done! :lol:

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
So if I am looking for a pudgier pear, I should stress that? Is there certain width/dimensions? I apologize i I have asked this before, my ADD is kicking in after work...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
caribbeanbridetobe|1457567514|4002293 said:
So if I am looking for a pudgier pear, I should stress that? Is there certain width/dimensions? I apologize i I have asked this before, my ADD is kicking in after work...
:lol: :lol: :lol: isn't it easier to advise or comment on projects that aren't personal? No need to apologize. Since you liked the pics of the pears around 1.3 to 1.5 ratio, that is what I would tell them. 1.3 is fatter than 1.5, so tell them to lean towards 1.3, but if they see a nice 1.5 to show you the diamond bc you might love that one too.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1457567810|4002295 said:
caribbeanbridetobe|1457567514|4002293 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: isn't it easier to advise or comment on projects that aren't personal? No need to apologize. Since you liked the pics of the pears around 1.3 to 1.5 ratio, that is what I would tell them. 1.3 is fatter than 1.5, so tell them to lean towards 1.3, but if they see a nice 1.5 to show you the diamond bc you might love that one too.

Pinto!! I saw a ratio for a 1ct pear and it seems so small :( is that going to be barely there as a pendant???? Oh heart be still :( :'(

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh pear friend! Get the biggest, blingiest, best pear pendant you can now with IDJ within your budget ($2500). Yes it's nice to have big bling but not if the hit on the wallet gives you heart ache. Wear it for a year. If it feels small next year, trade it in with IDJ for an upgrade on a special occasion. I believe they have a liberal upgrade policy, but just remember to review it with them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results