shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear Shaped Pendant Advice

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 1-1.2 ct pear will be :lickout: delish! Can't wait to see what IDJ pulls up as candidates!

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1457575303|4002332 said:
A 1-1.2 ct pear will be :lickout: delish! Can't wait to see what IDJ pulls up as candidates!

Gah!!! We keep missing each other, PS really needs a chatroom!!! LOL!! I'll keep you posted pear friend :)

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1457575303|4002332 said:

This weekend I am going to some retailers to get some exact measurements on my pudgy pear, going to go look at some pendants & e-rings to get some ideas. Can't wait!! :) :)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take lots of pictures, and have lots of fun!

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1457672923|4003234 said:

Got some pics done!!! N found the perfect pear at a great value $1900, I, Si1. Pics coming soon!!

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
caribbeanbridetobe|1458070075|4005730 said:
PintoBean|1457672923|4003234 said:

Got some pics done!!! N found the perfect pear at a great value $1900, I, Si1. Pics coming soon!!

Ooooohhh tell me more... tell me more! :appl:

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Bad news, my jeweler that we work with thinks I am being sold an "enhanced" diamond, or a "shady" stone in his eyes, while the jeweler I met w/ (not our home vendor) didn't give me a certification & priced the stone at $1900....I'll post pics in a moment...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
caribbeanbridetobe|1458105056|4005981 said:
Bad news, my jeweler that we work with thinks I am being sold an "enhanced" diamond, or a "shady" stone in his eyes, while the jeweler I met w/ (not our home vendor) didn't give me a certification & priced the stone at $1900....I'll post pics in a moment...

Oh please. Thinking you are being sold something "wrong" is the cheapest trick in book. Seriously.

Take the stone to an independent (not affiliated with a jewelry store in any way) appraiser.

I was helping a friend recently to find a nice stone here locally. He chose a lovely stone. And sent it to a PS vendor for setting. I was so upset that the PS vendor, one I highly regarded, pulled this same trick on my friend. Said the diamond was tinted and might be a diamond simulant instead of a diamond. Oh, and he had a lovely stone that was similar (but cost just a little more) for him that he was sure was a 'real' diamond. I knew it was BS because of the GIA lab report (which matched the stone exactly) but my friend, new to this industry was freaked. So he got three appraisals (he was really worried) and ALL of them affirmed that the stone was fine and perfect. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

As a result my friend is getting his stone set elsewhere, and I am going to have a conversation with the vendor and explain to them why I cannot recommend them anymore. :nono: :nono: :nono:

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1458108413|4005990 said:
caribbeanbridetobe|1458105056|4005981 said:

Oh please. Thinking you are being sold something "wrong" is the cheapest trick in book. Seriously.

Take the stone to an independent (not affiliated with a jewelry store in any way) appraiser.

I was helping a friend recently to find a nice stone here locally. He chose a lovely stone. And sent it to a PS vendor for setting. I was so upset that the PS vendor, one I highly regarded, pulled this same trick on my friend. Said the diamond was tinted and might be a diamond simulant instead of a diamond. Oh, and he had a lovely stone that was similar (but cost just a little more) for him that he was sure was a 'real' diamond. I knew it was BS because of the GIA lab report (which matched the stone exactly) but my friend, new to this industry was freaked. So he got three appraisals (he was really worried) and ALL of them affirmed that the stone was fine and perfect. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

As a result my friend is getting his stone set elsewhere, and I am going to have a conversation with the vendor and explain to them why I cannot recommend them anymore. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Do you think I should ask for certification?? Is our home jeweler trying to trick us?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you were buying a used car at $1900, would you buy it without a carfax, or take the owner's word that it was babied and never been in an accident? ---> cert

Would you have a mechanic inspect it as well? ---> independent appraiser

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1458135658|4006083 said:
If you were buying a used car at $1900, would you buy it without a carfax, or take the owner's word that it was babied and never been in an accident? ---> cert

Would you have a mechanic inspect it as well? ---> independent appraiser

Hi Pear friend :( I think in the meantime I'm going to get one of these from eBay til I do more research :( image_46.png
image_47.png

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Got some news, the stone is natural and has not been treated at all and it is an EGL USA. Still a good price? Should I go for it?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Pear Friend,

The low low price of $135 for a pear pendant makes me nervous. Since you get what you pay for, I'm not sure WHAT $135 will get you.
What is the return policy, if you want to take the risk?

I really think the best way to go is to call a popular PS vendor, like IDJ, WF, GOG, BGD, BE, etc., and have them find you something within your budget. For YOUR project, I still recommend going with IDJ. They have good return and upgrade policies. If you call them, and feel that their customer service style and your personality don't jive, then pick another PS vendor to try.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1458255211|4007013 said:
Hi Pear Friend,

The low low price of $135 for a pear pendant makes me nervous. Since you get what you pay for, I'm not sure WHAT $135 will get you.
What is the return policy, if you want to take the risk?

I really think the best way to go is to call a popular PS vendor, like IDJ, WF, GOG, BGD, BE, etc., and have them find you something within your budget. For YOUR project, I still recommend going with IDJ. They have good return and upgrade policies. If you call them, and feel that their customer service style and your personality don't jive, then pick another PS vendor to try.

The pear pendant is a simulated diamond. I have decided against that one and am aiming more for the EGL USA $1900 stone. Good buy or no? The measurements are really what got me.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EGL has a reputation of grading loosely. You have to wonder why the diamond was submitted to EGL over GIA.

Personally, I don't trust myself to not get swept away in the heat of the purchase, which is why I take the steps of picking a vendor or two, providing them the specs, requesting images, and posting here for feedback. I rely on my fellow PSers to give me objective feedback. (The only exception is when I'm purchasing super ideal rounds.)

If you like the EGL diamomd, by all means go for it. If you want to keep looking, please come back and post ASET and IS images for feedback on candidate pears.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1458265509|4007086 said:
EGL has a reputation of grading loosely. You have to wonder why the diamond was submitted to EGL over GIA.

Personally, I don't trust myself to not get swept away in the heat of the purchase, which is why I take the steps of picking a vendor or two, providing them the specs, requesting images, and posting here for feedback. I rely on my fellow PSers to give me objective feedback. (The only exception is when I'm purchasing super ideal rounds.)

If you like the EGL diamomd, by all means go for it. If you want to keep looking, please come back and post ASET and IS images for feedback on candidate pears.

But the EGL USA is better than EGL International, I tried getting in touch w/ IDJ but they told me they don't sell to the public :(

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear Pear Friend! :errrr:

I am hoping you contacted a different IDJ than the one we love on PS, just in case, here's the linky:
http://idjewelry.com

I can promise you they sell to the general public.

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have purchased EGL stones before. I knew at the time that they couldn't be judged on the same scale as GIA. You can purchase pretty EGL stones, but please go in with your eyes open and don't compare the grades to GIA. Love the individual stone and buy it for what it is. Get an independent appraisal if you would like a more accurate evaluation.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1458267847|4007105 said:
Oh dear Pear Friend! :errrr:

I am hoping you contacted a different IDJ than the one we love on PS, just in case, here's the linky:
http://idjewelry.com

I can promise you they sell to the general public.

Hi PintoBean!

My bezel pear pendant is being created as we speak :love: :love: :love:

Hope you are doing well :angel:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eep! I'm so excited for you! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results