Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2.34 is the nicest blue pear there.

GemCloset is news to me too - very beautiful news ! [& some painful blue]

Last edited:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone. I'm wondering what you thought about this stone. I have an email into the website to ask about price.

Also, what are your thoughts about this Thegemcloset vendor that placed his stones on several of the threads? Know anything about him? reputation? quality of the stones, etc?

Thanks in advance as always!

https://www.starruby.in/store/ceylo...op-grade-unheated-vvs-royal-blue-sapphire-grs

Thegemcloset vendor... signed up here without stating he's trade. Then posts only to push his stones. Whilst knowing (when he signed up) that he's breaking the rules here.

Being untrustworthy in this way leads me personally to view him the same way as a vendor. Not someone I'd be wanting to do business with at all.

Theredspinel, I agree on the come-out-of-the-closet and I'm also skeptical if people don't name a public price (as in starruby) but one has a to ask for it. This, I assume, is done only to find out whether you are a silly know-nothing buyer or a collector-pro that will not be ripped off. Is there any other excuse for NOT giving everybody the same price?

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
@valeria101, @normanintheskywithsapphires, @chroman. I just received an email on the price. Looks like its $7200 for the 2.34 carat stone. Is that a fair price for that quality of stone? I suppose my question is, is that stone really nice to warrant that type of price?

Thegemcloset vendor kind of makes me nervous. No website, no reviews. Just an instragram account gives me pause...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not astonished at the price, either way. The object seems very nice from where I am standing. Also, its 'unheated' state has meaning & value - ever more of both, much that I know.

Re. GemCloset, I am perhaps old school: fine stock is the badge of honour I understand - old as the world ... [ i.e. you'd always fool me this way ! - attempted humour; Further disclaimer: I am heads over heals with that aquamarine of his.] No marks for forum etiquette.

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sapphire2.jpg I just wanted to mention that I got a nice pear once from AJR gems. I am trying to download it (not trying to sell - maybe looking for a match, lol). I mean, if he had a beautiful stone once, maybe he has more? The photo taken under very low light and with an old camera.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suppose my question is, is that stone really nice

Just found a few posts & images around here that show what a nice sapphire does well:

I am refering to the ring stone: not only does it look BLUE in good light, but it is still BLUE in the low, yellow-ing light when all others have toned down ... Perhaps the darkest vivids may seem 'black' - until the inevitable flash of colour comes out of them, blue as anything. I hope you will get to see a few such things.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...could I get your thoughts on the below stone?

I am not seeing the usual discount for colour changing.

Perhaps this is a miracle sapphire that is as blue as any - when blue, then, may acquire a wash of purple - also spectacularly saturated. I know that this is possible, because I have seen one such object.

Now, the pictures seem surreal - too much light; and WildFish admits as much in the description of the stone that meantions a deep tone (75). My problem: I am not used to interpret such photography ! (sidenote: it is nice to see the pristine silk reflecting the bright, bright light ... )

-
Then, the pear is obviously deep. OK. I usually do not care - where 'I' is the keyword ... A fine cut sure has its price.

Last edited:

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your review @valeria101. Seems pretty high priced for the stone to me. It also is a little deep as you mentioned. I appreciate the continued review of stones I find. I'll continue to post if I find something particularly nice.

Thanks again!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
,-)

Btw...

The colour in the pictures is not impossible - just even less common than the relatively dark vivid blue ... The natural range of sapphire blue seems oddly uneven: certainly not the same chance of finding fine/vivid saturation in every tone. There is some bias in perception (for taking dark toned stones for slightly more saturated than they are - glaring light à la Wildfish does expose these,) much more of it in the nature of the thing; a curse of sorts.

A chart of historical sapphire colors by Lotus Gemology WWW (source) tells of this space between 'pastel' (happiest sky colour - quite light) & 'cornflower' blue which is unusually strong blue for a flower ... There are plenty of of inbetween blues from botany, even vivid ones - geology, not so much.

The mention of colour change reminded me this MA place: WWW. See egaj-11-40 for non-dark heated. I do not know how realistic that shot is ... - expecting 'cornflour' colour - in the terms of the Lotus Chart. GIA only names the color - always (so there is no better grade that was not given); the odd code for orgin on the report is debunked here (GIA); the note on enhancement is nice - hinting that the heating has not altered the material nearly as much as it could (for melt of something or other to accumulate where the structure of the natural crystal permits, hence the 'residue' mentioned...).

(done editing)

Last edited:
I have learned to put special value on the hand-images at WildFish. They are, have been so far, 100% on spot as the gem is in person. The other images show all and everything, inclusions in particular and that needs a lot of light. I don't understand the rest of the color-change discussion: I thought a color change increases the value?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When looking at the depth, 68% doesn't look terrible, but looking at the picture, most of it is in the pavilion, so the stone has almost no crown. A stone like this might need to be custom and is unlikely to be flashy unless under very strong lighting. I, too, think it is quite expensive.

Fast moving market.

Else, like taxes.

____

Things said to be without price ...

Huh? Are you joking, or am I not getting it, to which I'm getting used, huh?

I try again: If I call vendor for a price and he quotes 2X, because I sound like a beginner on the phone, and somebody other gets offered X because he sounds like a experienced collector, then it follows that the vendor is trying to profit from my ignorance, right? Is that OK in the trade?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice to hear that learning pays - for once !

Of course I cannot be serious about such things...

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello again everyone. I requested and received additional photos of the below gem currently listed. Anyone have any thoughts as to the quality? The color seems a little dark.
Yeah, I agree - the center looks nice, but the ends look extremely dark

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
Yeah I agree @chroman. I was afraid it was a pretty dark... especially after it gets put in a setting. What are your thoughts on the gem i just posted earlier today? Its a little lighter. Any thoughts as to the quality/color?

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think the color on that one is nice, but the polish (?) looks a little rough, also the girdle looks weird, but i'm still new to this and it may be the angle.
Have you seen this one?
https://www.ajsgem.com/sapphire/blue-sapphire/blue-sapphire-2.02-carats.html-0
It may have already been attached somewhere and i didnt see it, it would be worth asking for additional pictures or a video

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results