shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear Blue Sapphire

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
I was made aware of this stone yesterday. Unfortunately I think it is just to dark for my personal taste.

4a.jpg
4c.jpg 4b.jpg 4d.jpg

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Honestly the first sapphire you posted is far nicer than either of these last two. I would take half and half extinction any day over lack of saturation or really dark (you are looking for elongated dimensions, and pears can concentrate colour near the tip anyway, so you will have to find an exceptional stone to avoid all these issues. Chrono found a lovely one -- and it appears to be priced accordingly).

One thing is to make sure the stone has a lab report preferably from AGL, GRS or GIA- since sapphires are so often treated, and a lot of vendors are happy to help with this anyway.

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. Just wanted to provide an update. I attempted to acquire the stone @chrono found, but unfortunately it was just to high and the seller wouldn't come off his asking price slightly so as to meet my budget. Pretty disappointed about it, but I'm still looking to find something really nice and not going to give up.

Any suggestions and or nice pear shapes they'd recommend, I'd love to hear about them. My budget is up to around $6k to $7K and maybe a little more if the right stone came around.

Thanks again everyone, its much appricaited!

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
hello again everyone. A couple more options I wanted to run past everyone. I just can't seem to find anything around 10mm long that I really like, thats also not very dark. Any thoughts/suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Option No. 1 (I just think this particular stone looks really dark for my personal taste)
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=G88871
Option 2a.jpg
Option 2b.jpg

Option No. 2
https://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/unheated_ceylon_sapphire_3_36/10880/18347

Option No. 3

https://gemsyndicate.com/product/9-50x6-90-pear-sapphire/

Option No. 4

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1203

Option No. 5

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/3.21ct-ceylon-pear-blue-sapphire-b6114-/#AssetData5

Option No. 6

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/2.05ct-ceylon-pear-blue-sapphire-b7916-/

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has a bit of a window but it's 5 carats;

https://www.rubylane.com/item/1491081-T257/Pear-Shape-Natural-5-Carat-Sapphire?search=1

Otherwise contact Joe Escabar the coloured stone people there have found some wonderful sapphires for people, explain to them in detail what you want, your budget, and have them call in sapphires for you to see or for them to take photos of side by side;

https://www.escobardiamonds.com/

https://www.escobardiamonds.com/sapphire-and-diamond-halo-ring.html

I think the cut of that sapphire is fine and I love everything about the 5 Ct ring I'd buy that l. My old sapphire wasn't precision cut and honestly no one noticed.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was made aware of this stone yesterday. Unfortunately I think it is just to dark for my personal taste.

4a.jpg
4c.jpg 4b.jpg 4d.jpg

As a side note, I think concave cutting makes a dark stone look even darker and drab. I highly prefer concave cutting on light toned stones. The color of this stone leaves much to be desired as it is.

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I recently came across this stone and was wanting to get peoples opinions on it. Its a little large so I'm hesitant. it would be removed from the halo of diamonds before if I were to purchase it. Any thoughts would really be appreciated!

Thanks!
pear1.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am guessing that it is a relatively saturated lighter blue ...

The modernistic pear cut & peers are notorious for playing with colour - some areas appearing lighter, some darker than the proper body colour of the crystal (recognizable bottom-up). I'd say pictures emphasize this too much - unfair to lighter stones like this. The deepest blue brought up by optical effects looks intensely blue !

It seems very clear ...

Count my vote in.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's the reason you're uninterested in the ruby lane one, just curious

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
I like it the ruby lane one @Niel. Unfortunately its just to large. I'm looking for something 10mm-11mm in length.

Any other options or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

- James

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you elaborate a little why it's too long? Does it have to fit a particular setting? Does the person. Wearing have particularly small fingers? It rare to say "that sapphire ticks all my boxes but frankly it's just larger than I had wanted"

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response @Niel. Well its being set inside a double halo setting. I was told by David Klass (who is doing the design) that he recommended not to go above 10mm to 10.5mm in length in such a setting. What are your thoughts?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the image in the ruby labs shows her hand with a lot more room. I think you could squeeze another halo in there if your betrothed really needed a second row of halo.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4DD045C9-6090-4391-81D5-602A079FE075-5936-000006D88E31EF1F.jpeg
Here's a double halo dk did before, and I'm sure it's longer than 12mm

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
Thats a great reference picture @Niel. Thank you. I just think that would be rather large on her hand. She has rather small hands and I feel that this is really pushing the size limit. As a reference, this is the exact design I'm going for (except that it'll be a sapphire vs. a diamond). What length would you say that this center stone is?

Thanks again.

9.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3097C71D-3837-479A-9B9A-D7CB7548A297-6332-000006DDA27F2CBE.jpeg
Like this one he made? But a double halo I know.

Maybe ask him his opinion? What size is her finger. The inspiration you've provided looks larger than the ruby lane stone.

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
Interesting @Niel. I'll shoot him an email now and ask him as you recommended, which is much appreciated. Her finger size is a 6 or 6.25. I was estimating that the stone in my inspiration photo I attached was around 10mm long. I must be way off

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
@Niel. I shot DK an email asking him what he thought the dimensions were of the ring/stone I'm using as inspiration (picture above). I hope to hear back from him soon.

In the meantime, I have another option below. Also a video of the stone via the youtube link. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks again everyone.

stone1b.jpg
stone1a.jpg stone1c.jpg

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very nice! Thanks for letting me know @hobbitfancier55 I decided to go with the below stone instead. Any thoughts as to this stone? I'm loving the color. Hopefully it turns out nice once I have it in hand!

option3a.jpg
option3b.JPG

That is a beautiful stone. I actually said "ahhh" when I saw it.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So excited for you! That one is gorgeous.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a good looking stone!

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
Thank you all very much for the advice over the last couple months! It was much harder than I originally thought, but learned quite a lot along the way. I'll continue to post images of the stone and the overall ring that DK is designing currently, just so I can get everyone's opinion, which is really valued by me.

Thanks again everyone!

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
I like your pick! It’s a nice looking stone. Good job!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a pear I once bought from AJS. No editing, office light. 20171102_162148.jpg Honestly, I am almost positive the ruby is treated, because of incredible fluorescence, but the sapphire was sold as unheated. Don't forget them - AJS.
The prices for sapphires are madly up. I disagree with it as the quality does not match the prices.

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I just wanted to post a quick update so I could show the finished ring that David Klass did with the stone I posted above a little over a month ago. I love it! Would love to read everyone's feedback and let me know what you think.

I'd also like to thank everyone for their help! its been so valuable to get quality information from you over the past 6 months.

Look forward to hearing from everyone!

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 10.12.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 10.12.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 10.13.12 PM.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results