shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear Blue Sapphire

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I currently have another pear shaped blue sapphire that I'm looking at for an engagement ring. Its 10.8mm x 5.7mm (heated). Waiting on more pictures. Any thoughts on this particular stone would be really appreciated! Thanks again everyone.

50.JPG

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I dont like the color zoning, the top is so much darker than the bottom.

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sabrina. I couldn't tell if it was just the way/angle it was being held or if there was a color issue.

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
I also have these three heated options. If anyone would be willing to comment on them, I'd appreciate their thoughts

52.jpg

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think the one on the right looks nicest, it could be a bad photo but the one on the left looks like it has a big window (where it looks dead in the center). Im sure otger ps-ers will have more insight. Can they send you more photos or a video?

I bet 2.42 is the most expensive one of the three?

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know people feel differently about this, but I like the more cornflower blue of the stone you are holding. The other three are either lit badly or they are rather dark. I tried some on that were that dark at a jewelry store and I was surprised how icky they were with my skin tone. Maybe you can get better pictures or try one in person. I think color zoning can be an interesting effect, but probably for an engagement ring it's better to keep looking.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pears have a tendency to have a darker tip and brighter fat end. Some are far more obvious than others.

S

SparkliesLuver

Ring.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for but I wanted to mention this completed ring from one of our own trusted vendors. From what you've posted, you seem to like the deeper blues. Figured it couldn't hurt!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/218131...search_query=sapphire&ref=shop_items_search_6

2.1cts
9x7 mm
Size 6.5 and sizeable
$2,350

Pears are my spirit shape, so I understand the desire for one. :) Like Chrono mentioned, they do have a tendency to have a darker tip and brighter fat end; however, they're not all like that. It does typically take time to find one that's not, but when you do it's so worth it!

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
It is the most of expensive out of the three options @normanintheskywithsapphires. I actually prefer more of a cornflower blue or medium blue than the darker blue, but I'm having an incredibly hard time finding a nice cornflower blue pear shaped sapphire. Most of the options are the darker blue, so that's all I've been able to post options for.

It's pretty discouraging how much more tough finding a quality stone is that I originally thought, which shows how naive I am to the process. I'm going to give up though. I really appreciate everyone's input and advise through the process. Any additional suggestions or recommendations would be really appreciated as well.

Thanks again everyone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Footnote: is this not the kind of blue you are after - WWW ?

thorstedswife

Shiny_Rock
I like the one in the middle in the pics . Just my opinion .

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
@valeria101. I'm looking for a cornflower blue preferably. Just tough finding a nice peice i've come to understand.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
'Cornflower blue' is not a precise term, so... it is very likely that I have a different shade in mind (a large range, in fact !) than you do.

About that picture I have linked to: because the sapphire looked startingly vivid in low light, I asumed it is a relatively lighter blue - closer to the first & last pears that you have posted here, rather than the group of three [have not checked what it looks like in other iamges - if any]. That stone from Cherry Picked (a heck' of a shop ! - still in business, not much online, although they have tried once-upon-a-time) is absurdly saturated ... by any other tone & name, or else that flash [Hoc!] of brilliant blue would not have been possible in the photo.

You must have seen (possibly from my own posting ! - I keep serving the same) this chart WWW of sapphire colours. I understand that your cornflower-blue is somewhere mid-way between the 'Pastel' & 'Cornflower' categories on the chart: there is a reason for that gap ... not much corresponds in nature (hedge: there must be a 'why' in mineralogy & it does intrigue my academic soul ... have not heard an argument yet). The author does preach moderation in sapphire WWW - for what it might be worth ...

I'd say it could take YEARS of searching as you are, to find a ferociously saturated lighter blue that might have missed its place in the market.

/rant over

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, none of the 3 options appeal to me, mostly due to the terrible cut. Let me see what I can find.

I can't find any data on treatment in the links? Unless I missed it, that would be a total no-go-offer for me. Like selling art without disclosure if it is a copy or an original.

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
Thanks @chrono, i appreciate you taking a look for me.

I understand @normanintheskywithsapphires. I'll see if I can get a little more information from the seller on these regarding treatment.

Thanks for taking a look for me @Sabrina31 and yes, I have seen this particular stone before. Just not exactly what I'm look for. Thanks anyway though

In short, I assume these choices aren't exactly up to par given the less than steller cut.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you up against a specific timeframe?

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
@chrono I'd prefer to find something within the next couple weeks, but no, I do not have a specific timeframe. Just trying to find a nice piece so if you know of any options, or find any options you recommend, I'd really appreciate the help! I'm looking for something around 9mm long and not to dark.

Thanks again!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
@chrono. I agree with you on the first option you presented. A little to silky for my particular taste.

As to the other two, I've attached some additional photos Pearlman sent me. What are your thoughts if you don't mind me asking. Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

The first two images are of the attached link. http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=G85699.

1a.jpg 1b.jpg

The next two images are of the attached link. http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=G87275. It also has a video which is located here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yh4aqur5r3y4p2i/7274v.mp4?dl=0

2a.jpg 2b.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can the two be photographed together? In any case, the difference in quality really shows, hence the huge difference in price.

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
can't hurt to ask. Let me touch base with them and get back to you.

Thanks again!

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
@chrono. I got them to provide an image of the two stones together. Any thoughts on these?

Thanks again!

3a.jpg

Clearly, the left stone, the bigger one, is way better in all dimensions.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Left is better than right.

MaroonWhite

Rough_Rock
Yeah I agree with both of you @normanintheskywithsapphires @chrono. I'm going to have to give it some thoughts because the $10K price tag on that stone is way above my budget. Thanks for the help if you know of anything else that you recommend I take a look at, please do let me know! I'm looking hard.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results