shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear ASET question

tableland40

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I have received the attached ASET image of a pear diamond, 1.00ct/G/VVS1/AGA Cut Class 1A/~USD$5700, and was surprised to see such a significant amount of white showing in the image, given that the 3D view at James Allen had looked acceptable. The ASET image appears to be most similar to the first "Above Average - Very Good" example at this reference with the exception of the large amount of white showing towards the point. I have not been able to find any other pear ASET images with as much white showing, so I am unsure how to interpret the result.

With this ASET image, I note that there is some blurred light red and light green patches towards the pointed end, and some blurred light red and light green patches towards the round end. How do I interpret the washed out/light pastel reds and greens versus the deeper reds and greens which are in focus? Could the ASET image be overexposed, or is this diamond leaking much more light than an average pear in those white regions?

There aren't many pears available on James Allen that catch my eye at the moment, but one of the other ones I've seen is this 1.07ct/G/VVS1/AGA Cut Class 1B/~USD$6800. I'm not yet convinced it's worth the extra USD$1100 though.

Thanks for any assistance provided!

aset1833533.jpg

tableland40

Rough_Rock
I recon the closest match in the reference chart may be "Very Good" for that 1.01ct/H/VVS2/AGA Cut Class 1A diamond. After comparing with other stones, I was starting to see blurriness/"dullness" towards the pointed region of the diamond. Perhaps this is just the "H" colour of the diamond showing through with the stronger yellow tint (clearly visible in the ASET too)?

One of the better ASET's I've found in this forum in the past few minutes is this 0.95ct/D/SI1. The 3D view is still available on the James Allen website and seems to display a high brilliance (significant light return).

crocop

Rough_Rock
Yes, that is a nice ASET you posted from the previous thread.

As for the one I selected, I am having trouble finding a pear with a perfect Aset, that also clicks off all the other boxes.

I think the very good is as good as I am going to get in my price range. The one i posted is $4500.

when you compare the one you posted vs the one I posted, would you say my Aset is better? I seriously have messed up eyes haha

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tableland40|1478613790|4095157 said:
Hi all,

I have received the attached ASET image of a pear diamond, 1.00ct/G/VVS1/AGA Cut Class 1A/~USD$5700, and was surprised to see such a significant amount of white showing in the image, given that the 3D view at James Allen had looked acceptable. The ASET image appears to be most similar to the first "Above Average - Very Good" example at this reference with the exception of the large amount of white showing towards the point. I have not been able to find any other pear ASET images with as much white showing, so I am unsure how to interpret the result.

With this ASET image, I note that there is some blurred light red and light green patches towards the pointed end, and some blurred light red and light green patches towards the round end. How do I interpret the washed out/light pastel reds and greens versus the deeper reds and greens which are in focus? Could the ASET image be overexposed, or is this diamond leaking much more light than an average pear in those white regions?

There aren't many pears available on James Allen that catch my eye at the moment, but one of the other ones I've seen is this 1.07ct/G/VVS1/AGA Cut Class 1B/~USD$6800. I'm not yet convinced it's worth the extra USD$1100 though.

Thanks for any assistance provided!

This IS a nice aset image. This IS a lovely stone. All points (every one I've ever seen) are leaky. This stone has the typical leakage
at the pointy end. The 1.07 is also a nice stone. You do gain some length and I think it has ever so slightly better light return/faceting
but only you can decide if its worth the extra $1k.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crocop|1478621201|4095201 said:
Yes, that is a nice ASET you posted from the previous thread.

As for the one I selected, I am having trouble finding a pear with a perfect Aset, that also clicks off all the other boxes.

I think the very good is as good as I am going to get in my price range. The one i posted is $4500.

when you compare the one you posted vs the one I posted, would you say my Aset is better? I seriously have messed up eyes haha

I dont think we can say yours is better (or not) then his. They are different. His has more green towards the point
outside of the table that yours does not have. His also has more green leading away from the center heading down towards
the point. Yours has more mottled green and red towards the point. It is better to have the more solid areas of green/red.

You (crocop) can probably find a better cut if you were willing to go shorter in length. I think we were trying to stay at a certain
length for you? How long is the one you are looking at (I know I can find it on the other thread). I can take one more look to see
what else might fit your needs.

crocop

Rough_Rock
Hey, if you could find another, I would really appreciate it.

Ideally, i do want the length to be as close to 9mm as possible, and have the ratio at like 1.55-1.58, with a budget of under 5k USD

So far, the one above that you recommended to me in the other thread is the best I have found.

edit: What about this one?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.00-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-2130848

The one you originally suggested..should I be worried about the colour H? If I get it set in a platinum solitaire. A local jeweller said it might show some yellow.

This is the original one you sent me.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.01-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-1976860

tableland40

Rough_Rock
Thanks tyty333. From the video, I really like the diamond. I've seen other 1A cuts with similar C's and price with more colourful ASETs that don't look anywhere near as good in video/photos. In many of those cases, the diamond appeared to have been blurry/fuzzy/mushy below the table and/or too brilliant (lowering perceived scintillation?) I'm therefore not overly convinced the ASET image has provided much additional benefit in making a decision.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results