shape
carat
color
clarity

Peach Sapphire - cost?? HELP Is this a genuine price!!??

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Last edited:

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
That was suppose to say "that @arkieb1 posted"

Daisy081

Rough_Rock
Here's a (granted smaller) GIA certified Pad that is peachy pink but pastel like you described wanting:0
https://www.etsy.com/listing/644554...n?ref=landingpage_similar_listing_top-1&frs=1

Or the 4.9 in etsy that @ posted.
From the same etsy seller a 5.5 champagne already set for around the same price: https://www.etsy.com/listing/513186...agement?ref=landingpage_similar_listing_top-3

Yes, thank you! Great comparisons. I’m very particular with the ring design and will be doing a bespoke design (I’m an architect so these pretty common styles don’t appeal to me) so I would never buy a complete ring as Above. However, it’s great to see and understand the cost of such sapphires. Thank you so much!

Reactions: AV_

voce

Ideal_Rock
Have you ever thought about doing a custom/bespoke design with a more reputable Aussie jeweller? I'm thinking that Alistair Kelsey will be much better to work with, and he will work with stones not directly sourced by him, and I think his aesthetic would be suited to an architectural design. His work is exquisite and award-winning, and I doubt your "lovely jeweler" can match his abilities.

I just don't see pink in that stone, just yellow and brown, so I wouldn't even call it peach, let alone pad. The other info she spewed about the sapphire size is correct, but there is no way the colour is comparable to padparadscha sapphire. Your jeweller, if not flat out dishonest, is very much misinformed. Unless you enjoy the relationship with her and think that is worth paying triple what the average retail cost is that others would charge, I recommend you check out Alistair Kelsey and consider other options.

Daisy081

Rough_Rock
Have you ever thought about doing a custom/bespoke design with a more reputable Aussie jeweller? I'm thinking that Alistair Kelsey will be much better to work with, and he will work with stones not directly sourced by him, and I think his aesthetic would be suited to an architectural design. His work is exquisite and award-winning, and I doubt your "lovely jeweler" can match his abilities.

I just don't see pink in that stone, just yellow and brown, so I wouldn't even call it peach, let alone pad. The other info she spewed about the sapphire size is correct, but there is no way the colour is comparable to padparadscha sapphire. Your jeweller, if not flat out dishonest, is very much misinformed. Unless you enjoy the relationship with her and think that is worth paying triple what the average retail cost is that others would charge, I recommend you check out Alistair Kelsey and consider other options.

Amazing feedback, thank you. I’ll
Check Alistair out now :appl:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, fellow Sydney person here.
It’s hard, we don’t have a huge range of choice and jewellers tell you “porkies” to get your business.
That is not a pad sapphire, not by a long shot. It’s also going to have a huge window. That’s seeing through the gem and seeing your finger underneath.
That’s not desirable.
I just think the pale tone, the “see thoroughness” and the cut is going to make the resultant ring less than fabulous.
And no, we don’t have an office for GIA or AGL or any “name” gem labs here in Australia. The most highly regarded gem guy in Sydney is Bill Sechos of Gem Laboratories.
If you can be brave and trust the reputable online vendors I’m sure you can get a much better sapphire or Spinel for cheaper. Here in Australia its not really an option sending gems back and forth overseas but the good vendors take reliable photos and videos and can supply the reputable lab report.
I’ve been buying overseas for over 15 years and enjoy much better choice and quality.
It’s just a bummer about the current exchange rate :cry:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, yes, yes and more yes to Alistair!! I agree with others here, the sapphire you linked to is not even peach, let alone pad colored. You will end up with an amazing ring, if you move on from this uninspiring, overpriced sapphire and misguided/misinformed jeweler. Best of luck to you on this journey.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also Doug Menadue at Bespoke Gems, he’s an artisan cutter, also in Sydney. He doesn’t have any pink sapphires but might be able to source you something. He does have a lovely but huge 9ct Morganite that’s a lovely pink shade.

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
Wow. I’ve seen a lot of not-pads being advertised as pads to jack up the price, but that might seriously be the least pad-looking sapphire I’ve ever seen advertised as such. It’s a beautiful stone but no way would “padparadscha” come to mind at all when I see it, much less “top color”.

Shame on this jeweler for trying to guilt you for looking around, too.

Speaking as someone who bought a less than ideal sapphire for an e-ring (and is still very happy with it years later), in the end all that matters is that you love the stone - but I’m glad you’re doing your research and going into things with eyes wide open so you don’t get taken advantage of!

Best of luck!

Eady

Rough_Rock
Also Doug Menadue at Bespoke Gems, he’s an artisan cutter, also in Sydney. He doesn’t have any pink sapphires but might be able to source you something. He does have a lovely but huge 9ct Morganite that’s a lovely pink shade.

+1 for visiting Doug Menadue - he’s based in the City Centre so definitely worth making an appointment to see what he has (he runs bespoke gems as well as Kingstone gems so might have more stones than shown online).

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
As a fellow lover of the more unusual sapphire colors (my avatar pic and I have a 6.47ct ice blue-gray one as well) I will echo that the price for the stone you are considering is very high. I know you said you wish to design your own ring, but another option you could explore is to find a pre loved ring and remove the stone. I bet you could do that and end up paying less for the stone AND your designed ring than this stone, and still be able to sell the setting after...

Daisy081

Rough_Rock
DEB00579-2722-4044-8D52-5A91E6056F0F.jpeg
This jeweler is awful. She is lying, guilting you, and over charging. She is not lovely at all, she's dishonest. This isn't even close to a top color, nor is it actually peach. It's much lighter than that, and as such it should cost much less, period.

We showed you tons of better priced examples, some of which are lab certified by trustworthy places (rather than internal certifications that don't mean anything).

I'm angry at this jeweler for you.

Thank you so much. I can assure you, I’ve taken this all on board.
You certainly have sent so many links with better priced options so it will be back to the drawing board. I guess I’m just disappointed as I don’t want a typically amazing peach sapphire it appears. I want something much more like this colour and everything I see is too rich in colour and far too ‘pink’. If that makes sense. I know it probably doesn’t to such a well educated bunch of Sapphire enthusiasts and experts ;)2

Reactions: AV_

Daisy081

Rough_Rock
Is
Just asked about this one for you :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByIJZJYlRFL/?igshid=k6gif4h9ufg8

Unheated, $220, plus $25 for certification. It's smaller but I think the color is great and the price is excellent.

Is this USD$220? Wow, that’s nothing! If I could find something exactly like this (Cut is perfect for me) but perhaps 3 carat i’d be thrilled
I just worry that when it arrives it will be too orange..

I’ve enquired about this also though. Thank you again so very much!!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will chime in and say that your original stone is WAY overpriced and glad that you're doing your research. Thats a very pale peach sapphire which should not cost you much even at the size you're seeking.

Anytime someone is trying to sell a pad, always ask for an independent lab report; don't just take their word for it because a stone with pad designation is really expensive per ct.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DEB00579-2722-4044-8D52-5A91E6056F0F.jpeg

Thank you so much. I can assure you, I’ve taken this all on board.
You certainly have sent so many links with better priced options so it will be back to the drawing board. I guess I’m just disappointed as I don’t want a typically amazing peach sapphire it appears. I want something much more like this colour and everything I see is too rich in colour and far too ‘pink’. If that makes sense. I know it probably doesn’t to such a well educated bunch of Sapphire enthusiasts and experts ;)2
You are awesome for doing all the research!!! And trust me, I get wanting stuff that isn't considered "top color". I love brown/champagne stones (diamond, zircon, etc), which most people don't. The color you love is no problem, it's pretty!! We just don't want to see you get overcharged. So when people say it isn't top color we DON'T mean to say it's unattractive, but simply that it shouldn't command such a high price bc the trade doesn't consider it a top color. same way I expect to pay less for a light brown vs colorless diamond , you should be paying less for this vs a Padpradascha sapphire.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I want something much more like this colour and everything I see is too rich in colour and far too ‘pink’.

I would ask for a 'light yellow sapphire' to convey the right expectations... The type exists in LARGE & clean & it is not much shown.

These exist in LARGE & it is the least expensive type. I am really - really - really curious about the ring plans! - assuming there exists an unusually good sketch. (not assuming you wish to post before all is sai & done, or after)

AV_

Ideal_Rock

Daisy081

Rough_Rock
Will chime in and say that your original stone is WAY overpriced and glad that you're doing your research. Thats a very pale peach sapphire which should not cost you much even at the size you're seeking.

Anytime someone is trying to sell a pad, always ask for an independent lab report; don't just take their word for it because a stone with pad designation is really expensive per ct.

Appreciated, thank you!

Daisy081

Rough_Rock
+1 for visiting Doug Menadue - he’s based in the City Centre so definitely worth making an appointment to see what he has (he runs bespoke gems as well as Kingstone gems so might have more stones than shown online).

I've just checked out his gems and they are incredible. And Sydney based which couldn't be better. The morganites available are the tone and depth of colour I am after but this isn't a dress ring and is an everyday ring. With 4 young children I don't feel the morganite will be hardy enough and have my heart set on a sapphire. Agh, I'm so overwhelmed to be honest!!!

Eady

Rough_Rock
I've just checked out his gems and they are incredible. And Sydney based which couldn't be better. The morganites available are the tone and depth of colour I am after but this isn't a dress ring and is an everyday ring. With 4 young children I don't feel the morganite will be hardy enough and have my heart set on a sapphire. Agh, I'm so overwhelmed to be honest!!!

Sapphire is definitely the way to go with 4 kids! I understand it can get a bit overwhelming with all the different options - you have a clear idea of what colour and size you want though which helps!

Sometimes it can take a while to find the perfect stone - it took me a couple of years to find my aquamarine, I eventually found it from Doug which is why I’m such a big fan of his. He has more stones than what’s listed and can maybe source or even cut the sapphire. My visit to see him was so much fun and very educational. I’d recommend dropping him a line with what you’re looking for in the off chance he could help.

Some other options I found that might be of interest:

https://etsy.me/2KeCUod (Might be too pink)

https://etsy.me/2Xi43KH (might be too orange!)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisy081

Rough_Rock

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree the original stone is VASTLY overpriced and I wouldn't even call it Peach, let alone pad sapphire! :angryfire: Keep searching and I echo recommendations of Doug & Alistair to assist you in finding the stone & creating the perfect ring.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This is smaller (not too small) - WWW Perhaps just the right colour?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results