shape
carat
color
clarity

paying 60k for a stone sight unseen with little specs and no return policy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am currently in Singapore for work and popped by the local dealer for Gabrielle diamonds to see if they had any pears that matched what i was looking for. the sales staff wanted me to plonk down a 50% deposit for a stone so that they can retrieve it from their inventory, and said that by paying the deposit it means i absolutely have to buy the stone, no returns. Am I the only one or is this policy weird? is any diamond worth the amount of risk here?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, as the wise MGR says.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
run, run real fast from this.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re kidding right?? Stay the heck away, run don''t walk.
6.gif

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
thanks ladies. I honestly don''t know if this is a common policy in singapore, which he claims it is - i hope some ladies who have experiences shopping in asia would shed light on this. he claimed if i were really interested i would be putting the deposit for the stone unless i am ''not serious'' and that ''there is no such thing as not liking a Gabi diamond'' as a way of explaining the no returns policy.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2008 10:55:19 PM
Author: Alexiszoe
thanks ladies. I honestly don''t know if this is a common policy in singapore, which he claims it is - i hope some ladies who have experiences shopping in asia would shed light on this. he claimed if i were really interested i would be putting the deposit for the stone unless i am ''not serious'' and that ''there is no such thing as not liking a Gabi diamond'' as a way of explaining the no returns policy.

Who cares if that is what is standard there, it''s still a crappy policy.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2008 11:04:04 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 12/16/2008 10:55:19 PM

Who cares if that is what is standard there, it''s still a crappy policy.
Yup.
14.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is insane.
No way.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
That''s crazy. No way!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
RUN as fast as you can that is the stupidest policy I have ever heard of

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Definitely no way! RUN!

Lenamama

Shiny_Rock
NOW WAY!! even as a noob, I concur.. that''s so crazy, i can''t belive there are people out there like... It''s a shame.
15.gif
You know what kind of diamond you get get for 60K???? A totally brilliant one!!!!!
18.gif

Savvymon

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the above comments!!!!!!

Run away NOW!

29.gif

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Stay away, stay away!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
without a return policy ??
38.gif
i would''nt lay down $60k even if Marcel Tolkowsky came out of his grave to cut that diamond.

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
That is truly shocking that they allow no flexibility especially as fancy shapes such as pear vary greatly in their outlook - some people like short fat pears, some like them longer and slimmer so the beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder when poor performers (based on experience of the vendor/trader have been eliminated as there are no ideal widely agreed proportions for pear diamonds). Without seeing the diamond how can you be sure that a given particular pear diamond will appeal?

I get requests regularly from clients who want to order unseen but I refuse as in my opinion fancy shapes are best seen and chosen in person though I know that many PS do order fancy shapes online based on photos, ASET etc which again is more than you are being provided!

To illustrate how pears vary in their shape - here is a picture showing 3 pears all DEF VS that are all just over 3 carats each - you can see that the shape varies enormously!

3 pears small pic 12455.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Run Forrest, run.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Rude. I don''t care if it were the policy in all of Singapore, I wouldn''t do it.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like the financial crisis is effecting Singapore aswell..who wants to bet that "policy" was created in the last couple months, lol..

Yup, please, RUN !
emthdown.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Not a chance I''d go along with that! I''ve seen the Gabrielle diamonds and they''re not worth one cent more than many others I''ve seen.
38.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I guess business is better for high end jewelers in Singapore than in most other places. Most jewelers are tickled to see $60k customers and will fall all over themselves to earn your business while these folks want a $30,000 non-refundable deposit to prove that you're serious before they'll even SHOW you a diamond from inventory! Incredible. I suppose they can set whatever policies they want and only they get to decide if this one is working for them but as a customer I would want nothing to do with it.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/17/2008 1:43:42 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
without a return policy ??
38.gif
i would''nt lay down $60k even if Marcel Tolkowsky came out of his grave to cut that diamond.

LOL!

Date: 12/17/2008 4:02:47 AM
Author: Indira-London
That is truly shocking that they allow no flexibility especially as fancy shapes such as pear vary greatly in their outlook - some people like short fat pears, some like them longer and slimmer so the beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder when poor performers (based on experience of the vendor/trader have been eliminated as there are no ideal widely agreed proportions for pear diamonds). Without seeing the diamond how can you be sure that a given particular pear diamond will appeal?

I agree. if other jewelers can source for stones for me without me paying a huge deposit, i don''t understand why this can''t be done.

ironically, a local acquaintance with a fatter budget than mine faced some problems with them as well - in the end she took her business to another Singapore jeweler who was more accommodating.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/17/2008 11:26:18 AM

ironically, a local acquaintance with a fatter budget than mine faced some problems with them as well - in the end she took her business to another Singapore jeweler who was more accommodating.
OK, now I’m confused. Why did you choose this particular store in light of the above comment? It seems like the obvious next step is to add a little more wear to the path from jeweler A to jeweler B and don't look back. What am I missing?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/17/2008 11:37:25 AM
Author: denverappraiser
Date: 12/17/2008 11:26:18 AM

OK, now I’m confused. Why did you choose this particular store in light of the above comment? It seems like the obvious next step is to add a little more wear to the path from jeweler A to jeweler B and don''t look back. What am I missing?

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

I only got to know about this after my trip to the store. I am trying to wrangle the contact information of the second jeweler though
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results