shape
carat
color
clarity

Pawn Shop Baroque Akoyas

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love how you finished it! Gonna have to steal that idea next time I want something adjustable!

I had several vintage clasps that I was gonna use, but they didn't seem secure. I agonized over which one to use, when I got the bright Idea to make one of my own. I added the chain as an afterthought because the necklace seemed too short.
The necklace was choker length. I added the chain when I realized that the choker was choking me, and I didn't like how it felt!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks MM! By now, you know that I am all about bargains! I am really happy with the way they turned out.

I meant to say something about your knotting - it looks very good! I love a good bargain too. The hunt is so fun.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very releaved to hear the kitty was ok
A bit too scary

OMG I was so worried until the last sentence when you let us know kitty is okay. Whew! That must have been scary for you.
While I was working on the necklace, the cat was really interested in the string, and I kept pushing him away.
At one point, I walked out of the room for 10 minutes. When I came back, about 7" of the string and the attached needle was gone. The string was cleanly sheared off--by sharp little cat teeth!
I knew right away what happened. I hoped I was wrong, but the string and needle were no where to be found. The bead needle is a super thin piece of twisted wire, about 2.5" long.
I was worried, scared and pissed all at the same time!
I did the internet research, and apparently cats like to eat wire bread twisters, and they usually can be passed. So I watched him carefully, and he was acting normal, eating, playing, etc.
About 48 hrs later, it all came out in one poopy lump. The wire was all scrunched up.
Lesson learned. Close the craft room door from now on!

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
While I was working on the necklace, cat was really interested in the string, and I kept pushing him away.
At one point, I walked out of the room for 10 minutes. When I came back, about 7" of the string and the attached needle was gone. The string was cleanly sheared off--by sharp little cat teeth!
I knew right away what happened. I hoped I was wrong, but the string and needle were no where to be found. The bead needle is a super thin piece of twisted wire, about 2.5" long.
I was worried and scared, and pissed all at the same time!
I did the internet research, and apparently cats like to eat wire bread twisters, and they usually can be passed. So I watched him carefully, and he was acting normal, eating, playing, etc.
About 48 hrs later, it all came out in one poopy lump. The wire was all scrunched up.

Phew !
What a horrible experience

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had several vintage clasps that I was gonna use, but they didn't seem secure. I agonized over which one to use, when I got the bright Idea to make one of my own. I added the chain as an afterthought because the necklace seemed too short.
The necklace was choker length. I added the chain when I realized that the choker was choking me, and I didn't like how it felt!

Ooo. Would love photos of the vintage clasps you have! Where do you find them?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I was working on the necklace, cat was really interested in the string, and I kept pushing him away.
I was worried, scared and pissed all at the same time!

That must have been a harrowing 48 hours and glad you are both through it. Been there with dogs. My little guy ate a 4 carat color change Chrysoberyl and DH (bless his heart) wasn't that concerned in digging through his poop. The worst was him eating little pebbles, getting sick and going through a series of x-rays over days to see if he needed surgery. I was scared to death.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo. Would love photos of the vintage clasps you have! Where do you find them?

I sometimes find these faux pearl vintage necklaces in thrift stores.
Two are sterling and the other is 14k yellow.
But I didn't think they were secure enough.
IMG_20210203_193919915.jpg IMG_20210203_193944520.jpg

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That must have been a harrowing 48 hours and glad you are both through it. Been there with dogs. My little guy ate a 4 carat color change Chrysoberyl and DH (bless his heart) wasn't that concerned in digging through his poop. The worst was him eating little pebbles, getting sick and going through a series of x-rays over days to see if he needed surgery. I was scared to death.

One time, he ate about 12" of yarn. I was freaking out then, too.
But he passed it and was OK.
What a dingbat cat I have.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I sometimes find these faux pearl vintage necklaces in thrift stores.
These two are sterling and the other is 14k yellow.
But I didn't think they were secure enough.
IMG_20210203_193919915.jpg IMG_20210203_193944520.jpg

I always feel a bit sorry for those (well any not just faux) strands in thrift shops
like someone's kid or grandkids didn't want them

my great aunty and uncle had no children but were very close with my mum and her brothers
when aunty Netta died my cousin and i got loads of faux sparkles to play with
In reflection i don't find it even a tiny little bit sad the pieces eventually got broken or lost because we had so much fun (for years) playing with them

Anyway im glad when those thrift shop pearls (faux or real) get rescued !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
One time, he ate about 12" of yarn. I was freaking out then, too.
But he passed it and was OK.
What a dingbat cat I have.

eww
I wonder why they do it ?
It can't be very palatable - they are such fussy eaters

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results