shape
carat
color
clarity

Pave Prongs or Not? Need Advice!

Kickskid21

Rough_Rock
I’m having a setting made by Stuller thru Rhino and can’t decide on the final design to go with. I’m stuck between getting the pave in the main prongs or not (see photos). It’s about an $800 increase to have them, but I’m not worried about the price.

What do you guys think?

9BEBFA65-3A93-4693-B69D-11C9D60E88B3.jpeg 70628DDA-FE5C-4496-AA82-B3372D7844CF.jpeg AC0DA63C-1A95-4565-AAD3-2CEE0AFA52C2.jpeg 17369355-38D8-4C53-8DC7-39783A706315.jpeg

Attachments

• 7E86A74E-EEED-41B9-A44E-C7F1D1BCD543.png
    7E86A74E-EEED-41B9-A44E-C7F1D1BCD543.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 14

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I don't really feel that's an $800 difference in appearance.

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
I like it best without. Less busy...just looks really cohesive and beautiful. With the pave everywhere just seems like it takes away from the style IMO.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Without. With makes it even more of a delicate wear.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Me too, without! Also with pave on the prongs, if you do decide to wear a band, the pave may bump up against the band and cause damage. And I prefer that my pave is on my band, so I can enjoy seeing them from top down!
-C4C

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without looks cleaner, more graceful and highlights the swags between the prongs. I’m sure they wouldn’t do them if they posed a risk to durability, but I just can’t help worrying about pave-set prongs being less strong because they’ve got holes all along them to set the pave into. Either that or they end up being bulkier to compensate which would look clunky

jBright

Shiny_Rock
A little more bling never hurt anybody ;)2. I did, however, go for a plain shank and a hidden halo. Lol, so to each their own! It is up to your own preferences as you’ll have to be the one wearing it!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without! You won’t miss them.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, I would not do it for all the reasons mentioned. It's also asking for trouble when the ring hits something and you lose little diamonds.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for without.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I vote without as well. Goodness, $800 is a lot of money for a small detail like that. I would put that cost towards a gorgeous wedding band.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I like without.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote without. Reason being is that it never turns out as delicate as the cads show. If it was being done by a master that might
make it a harder decision but since its Stuller...definitely without.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Another for without. The visual break in texture adds more interest.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too prefer it without. Sometimes too much just looks crusty to me - too many prongs. It also makes it very difficult to wear a band with and the potential loss of stones would drive me batty!

Kickskid21

Rough_Rock
I vote without. Reason being is that it never turns out as delicate as the cads show. If it was being done by a master that might
make it a harder decision but since its Stuller...definitely without.

Definitely makes sense. Should I be concerned that it’s Stuller?

Kickskid21

Rough_Rock
I too prefer it without. Sometimes too much just looks crusty to me - too many prongs. It also makes it very difficult to wear a band with and the potential loss of stones would drive me batty!

I feel like 6 prong keeps the circular look with the 2ct stone though

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like 6 prong keeps the circular look with the 2ct stone though

No I like the six prong too! When I said too many prongs, I am talking about all the little prongs in the prongs of the Ering being too many. The six prong setting looks great though!

Kickskid21

Rough_Rock
No I like the six prong too! When I said too many prongs, I am talking about all the little prongs in the prongs of the Ering being too many. The six prong setting looks great though!

What are your thoughts on standard vs claw prongs?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your thoughts on standard vs claw prongs?

I personally like prongs that just blend in with the stone so I am usually not a fan of claw prongs. I like little prongs - substantial enough to hold the diamond but not large enough to really be seen in normal viewing. Others really like the claw prongs - just a matter of personal preference. I think your ring will be lovely!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I love it with just the top section only. As an FYI with Stuller, verify quality of the melee they are using. Their standard basic one is not good based on my experience. You can upgrade the color and clarity. I don’t know if they offer H&A/ideal cut melee - definitely ask!!!

L

lydial

I vote without. They detract from the architecture of the setting.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
without for me too.

Kickskid21

Rough_Rock
I love it with just the top section only. As an FYI with Stuller, verify quality of the melee they are using. Their standard basic one is not good based on my experience. You can upgrade the color and clarity. I don’t know if they offer H&A/ideal cut melee - definitely ask!!!

I was told they can do F VS if I wanted to do lab for the melee which I just may

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another vote for without.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Without. Too distracting. If you had an average diamond then blinging it up with pave makes sense but if you've chosen a nice stone, let it shine on its own.

I’ll throw in a bit of a dissenting third opinion: I would actually prefer a plain head with your pave shank over either of the two options here. I also like claw prongs quite a bit!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely makes sense. Should I be concerned that it’s Stuller?

No...I trust Rhino to ensure that it is a quality piece. But something like putting pave on small prongs really takes a master IMO.

I prefer claw prongs. They are a look that not all jewelers can do nicely so when they are done right its impressive (another IMO).
However, some folks prefer one over the other (there is no wrong answer).

Kickskid21

Rough_Rock
No...I trust Rhino to ensure that it is a quality piece. But something like putting pave on small prongs really takes a master IMO.
I prefer claw prongs. They are a look that not all jewelers can do nicely so when they are done right its impressive (another IMO).
However, some folks prefer one over the other (there is no wrong answer).

Yeah, this will have claw prongs. I was kinda concerned if Stuller could do them correctly and sleek.

Also, wouldn’t the prongs be the same as setting the stones in the draped halo?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results