shape
carat
color
clarity

Pave Halo or 3 Stone - Can''t Decide with the Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
For years I have been searching for a setting for my 5.67ct blue sapphire. It will be for my right hand so I don''t want it to look like an e-ring. Due to its size, it will be too huge with a halo all around.

Earlier this year I came across this mounting and immediately thought it is perfect for the sapphire.
Loose%20Gem%20Home%20Pictures12.jpg

However, when I was in NY last week, one of the store happened to have a 3 stone setting for a oval center just the size of my sapphire, and two brilliant half moon diamond on the sides that total to 1.15ct. Double sharp claws. I dropped my sapphire in the setting, and was shocked at how nice it looks. It definitely looks like an e-ring, but is striking. I remember Leon M used to have a sapphire with half moon sides but the picture is no longer on his website. If anyone has the picture, can you please share?

Now I am torn between the two designs. Of course, the 3 stone will cost more but is a classic look. Experts here, your opinions, please
31.gif
9.gif

Ring_Oval 01.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t have a picture, but I definatley vote a 3 stone based on it''s size! WOW yingh---you have some knockout Gemstones! That is STUNNING!!
30.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! Believe it or not, it was a eBay discovery 5 years ago! And it is likely untreated.
9.gif

Date: 3/29/2009 3:25:29 PM
Author: cushioncutnut
I don''t have a picture, but I definatley vote a 3 stone based on it''s size! WOW yingh---you have some knockout Gemstones! That is STUNNING!!
30.gif
9.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 stone
30.gif
3 stone
30.gif
3 stone

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 stone. Enuff said. Classy and timeless.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
OK, I''ll play devil''s advocate and buck the trend with a setting that is probably highly impractical - but it caught my eye!

oval sapphire interesting ring 01.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool Gailey, but yeah, I wonder how practical it is, ,hehe.
Lovely sapphire!

Guess I'll have to buck the trend too, I'm kind of taken by that Pearlman's setting, it's very unique :)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried these settings on your hand? How do you think they look on you? How do they feel when worn (in terms of comfort)? Those are just some things to consider. I agree that the 3 stone design is more classic, so it all depends on what you''d like and what you think would better suit your wardrobe, lifestyle etc., cause that 3 stone ring sounds like more of a fancy dinner party kind of item.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Gailey''s setting is unbelievably awesome! If it''s not going to be an everyday ring, I think something as far out and ... cool... as Gailey''s find really plays up the colour, size and individuality of the stone...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
3 stone!!!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like three stone rings too. But that setting Gailey posted is really cool!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
BEAUTIFUL BLUE stone!

What are the mm dimensions? What is your finger size?

You'll need to consider 'finger coverage'. Sometimes sidestones would take it too wide....

I wear a size 6. My stone is 7.6 mm diameter. So I had to figure out how much finger real estate I wanted to cover, and decided that 18 or 19mm width would work for me. (measure it out on a piece of paper and tape it to your finger to see how that works for you). This measurement will affect what you can do with the stone.....

Hope this helps.

LS

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Gailey, thanks much for sharing this unique and interesting design
5.gif
I wouldn''t have thought of something like this even in my wildest dream
9.gif

I have to say that, this design feels a little ''naked'' to me
9.gif

Date: 3/29/2009 7:39:32 PM
Author: Gailey
OK, I''ll play devil''s advocate and buck the trend with a setting that is probably highly impractical - but it caught my eye!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the Pearlman''s one that you posted. It''s beautiful, but I''m a sucker for halos. I would love to see that in a square halo actually. Did you check out knoxjewelers.biz for ideas as well?

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Mr. ma re, you always have such sharp eyes and quick minds! I never thought about the wearing comfort part.

Now come to think about it, I have a few halo/pave rings that made me to believe a paved shank shouldn''t be a discomfort to wear. I did try on the three-stone ring in NY, and (embarrassingly) I was too struck with the look that I didn''t pay any attention to the comfort. But I am a very ''picky'' person, if there was a discomfort, I would have noticed.

I have no idea which design is more ''casual'' as a right hand ring. Three stone is classic but with its size, will make it somewhat flashy?
31.gif
I am already getting comments from my boss and coworkers about my diamonds - how shinny they are. With a 3-stone with this sapphire, guess I would have to say farewell to raises?
27.gif

Date: 3/30/2009 3:44:20 AM
Author: ma re
Have you tried these settings on your hand? How do you think they look on you? How do they feel when worn (in terms of comfort)? Those are just some things to consider. I agree that the 3 stone design is more classic, so it all depends on what you''d like and what you think would better suit your wardrobe, lifestyle etc., cause that 3 stone ring sounds like more of a fancy dinner party kind of item.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
LS, thanks for your reminder. The sapphire is 11.3x9.2mm, my finger size is 6.5, so with 2 half moon at 1.15ct total, it covers my entire finger. That's why I think it will be flashy.

ETA: the problem is, the more I think about the 3 stone the more I like it. Guess I am naturally a flashy woman!
27.gif

Date: 3/30/2009 6:47:44 PM
Author: LostSapphire
BEAUTIFUL BLUE stone!

What are the mm dimensions? What is your finger size?

You'll need to consider 'finger coverage'. Sometimes sidestones would take it too wide....

I wear a size 6. My stone is 7.6 mm diameter. So I had to figure out how much finger real estate I wanted to cover, and decided that 18 or 19mm width would work for me. (measure it out on a piece of paper and tape it to your finger to see how that works for you). This measurement will affect what you can do with the stone.....

Hope this helps.

LS

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
3 stone, but with that size, I would do 2 smaller side stones (maybe 2 half moons) to really make the sapphire pop.

FYI. My sapphire is currently in a solitaire. I am going to reset it sometime in the future, at first I wanted a halo, but now I am leaning towards a 3 stone. I just like the look better.

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
How about something like this??? Someone needs to get a McTeigue & McClelland.....they are incredible.
30.gif

mc2xyxss.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
The one from pearlman''s is exquisite...very beautiful!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
TL and Mochi, I really liked that Pearlman''s halo - thought the half halo is a brilliant idea!

But now it seems that I can''t get the half moons out of my mind
31.gif

DianaBanana, thanks for suggesting that lovely setting but I''m afraid that sits too high.

LtlFirecracker I know that a smaller pair half moon will make the ring ''quiter'' but after seeing the larger pair flanking by the side, I really liked that proportion.
3.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 1:07:09 AM
Author: yingh

LtlFirecracker I know that a smaller pair half moon will make the ring ''quiter'' but after seeing the larger pair flanking by the side, I really liked that proportion.
3.gif
Exactly, and center/side proportions have to be thought of as much as anything else. There''s no point in reducing the sides to keep the whole thing smaller, if it all doesen''t look in proportion.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Please don''t laugh at me - I want a blue stone ring so badly that I have been trying to buy a less expensive blue stone so I can mount it in an LOGR ring. While all this time, I have this sapphire sitting in the box because I spent all the setting money on buying more stones. Eventually I want to set this sapphire in a 3-stone with half-moon diamonds. However, when I was browsing LOGR listing tonight, it dawned on me - why search for another blue stone?

So here is the idea, I get this LOGR ring, to set the sapphire as a short-term home. Years down the road when I can afford a decent home then I switch the sapphire out (who knows how long that is going to take?)
9.gif
31.gif

Is this a crazy idea? Yes or no?

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think its crazy at all! I really like it actually! Warm those coworkers up to the blue before you knock your their socks off with the entire bling package in the future if you know what I mean!
31.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 1:07:09 AM
Author: yingh
TL and Mochi, I really liked that Pearlman''s halo - thought the half halo is a brilliant idea!

But now it seems that I can''t get the half moons out of my mind
31.gif

DianaBanana, thanks for suggesting that lovely setting but I''m afraid that sits too high.

3.gif

Well, if you like the larger stones better, that is what you should do. I was not thinking of keeping the ring "quiet," I was just thinking about keeping the focus on the sapphire. But I am sure if it is set correctly, you can still do larger side stones that will complement the sapphire without competing with it.

stacy

Shiny_Rock
Wow -- whatever you do, I LOVE claw prongs on nice, blue sapphires. Heck, I like claw prongs on anything!
25.gif

I think the first setting you posted, from Pearlman''s, is stunning!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The underside of the LOGR looks fairly open so it''ll let in some light for your sapphire. I think it''s a good choice for a tight budget.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results