shape
carat
color
clarity

Pave diamond engagment ring meets the ocean...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
So, for the honeymoon we''ll be going to a total beach type place. Will my 3 sided pave rings do ok in the salt water and sand? I really don''t want to leave them in the cottage but I don''t want them all gritty and dirty either. My fiance is voting for putting the rings in a box inside our beach bag. We''ll never be out of site and the whole island only has 22 cottages so it won''t be busy. Other option is to leave both my rings with my mom but somehow actually wearing my engagement ring & wedding ring on the honeymoon seems much more romantic, but I don''t want to ruin it either. I know I could get a fake but it''s not the same....

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Frankly, Im not taking my rings at all on my honeymoon if we go to a sunny place. Ill be wearing a plain platinum or titanium ring in that case.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,

I agree that I would want to take my rings with me on my honeymoon as well.. if anything to wear out to dinner and stuff. I think the box idea is a great one since you will be close to them so you don''t have to worry about them getting stolen but also they will be clean from the sand and such.

Good luck and have a great time! :)

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I wore both of my rings on my honeymoon (Malta and Rome)- no way in h**l I was going to part with them so quickly! But then again, most of our HM wasn''t on the beach. The one time we did go in the water, I didn''t wear them.

JC

Shiny_Rock
Enjoy what you own.....wear it.

"What's the point in owning a Porsche if you always keep it in the garage"

9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally agree with Josh...I honestly don''t understand why people worry about things like sand and water when we are talking about things like platinum and diamonds! It''s not like you are wearing a fragile balloon on your hand.

As long as you aren''t picking up the sand and scrubbing the ring with it, which would MAYBE only damage the platinum...who cares!

As long as they don''t fall off in the ocean, which assuming they are sized right, they wouldn''t..who cares!

Get them insured and wear them. We spent 7 days on Tahiti for our honeymoon and I wore them the whole time. Also my fingers were swollen due to the heat so no way were those things falling off, and tropical waters are not by any means cold.

Stop worrying, wear them! Leave them in the hut? No way, I''d be more worried about them there in some unguarded manner than on my finger. The last thing you want to do is have to keep an eye on your hut while you are on the beach, trust me!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
I think I’m gonna buy a sim, smaller than my e-ring, wear it the whole honeymoon- then when I come home and put my ting on it will be FREAKIN HUGE to me!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of putting them in your beach bag while you are on the beach. I left my rings in our room safe last summer while we were out at the beach just because I did not want to get suncreen on them and I knew not to wear white gold in the swimming pool.

But I would NOT want to leave them at home on your honeymoon. I''d want to admire them and show them off!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to be so candid, but I think putting them in your bag on the beach is a terrible idea. I know 3 people who''ve had jewelry stolen this way! If you''re going to do that, you may as well leave them at your room safe.

What would you do if you were in the water and someone came by and picked up your bag.....even innocently, by mistake? You likely couldn''t get out of the water in time unless you were only wading.....and if you''re only wading a.k.a. water up to your kneecaps, how can wearing the ring then damage it?

How could you possibly enjoy any time in the water or relax if you have to keep a hawk-eye on your bag the WHOLE time? It only takes a split second for something to be gone.

Mara''s right.....rings are durable and meant to be worn. Insure them and wear them.....they are really safer on your finger than any other place. It''s a lot less money to replace a stray pave stone that might fall out than it is to replace an entire ring because it was stolen.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Just DON''T wear them scuba diving --- or snorkeling for a long period. You get colder in the water - and they may slip off.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t wear my ring on our last vacation because we went to Thailand and were advised that (since we were trekking through the northern area, sleeping in the native villages, etc.) that it would be best to leave any expensive watches or other jewelry at home. (Not because of a threat of theft or loss, but out of respect for these people''s VERY humble, simple lives.)

BUT... that vacation will certainly be the exception, for me! I LOVE my rings, and I want to wear them! It is my humble opinion that they don''t give anyone any enjoyment in a drawer! I agree with Mara, with reasonable care, they are VERY "hardy"!

I like that I can wear my w-ring separately, if I am going to be doing something where the e-ring might honestly get in the way... but that''s the exception, rather than the rule, too. I may turn both rings around if I am on a subway train or in a questionable area, but I think that''s just common sense.

But I digress!
2.gif
My personal opinion to your question -- wear your gorgeous rings on your honeymoon and ENJOY them!

Lynn

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
Although not my honeymoon, only an anniversary trip, I plan to wear my ring to Mexico this April.

In the past I have always worn CZ rings and left my diamonds at home. However, after being on this site for some time, reading what others have to say, and now having good insurance through Chubb (instead of my homeowner''s policy rider) I figured I might as well enjoy my new ring. I have never had any jewelery stolen while on vacation, nor have I ever felt in danger while wearing my rings. We have traveled to Mexico, Jamaica, and the Bahamas, as well as Las Vegas, Chicago, Orlando, and the Florida Keys.

My CZ rings are not small, by any means, so they were definitely noticed and commented on by others. My favorite was a 3-stone, 2 carat oval center with .75 carat oval sides. Maybe that''s why I needed an upgrade from my 1 carat?
giggl.gif
Here are a few of the CZs that I have worn on our trips, none of which have a center size of less than 1.5 carats.

anniv.jpg
marqbaground.jpg
radiantepiph.jpg

I am more guilty of turning my rings around while walking through the parking garage at work (inner-city hospital) than while on vacation. It does offer some personal feeling of security though.

If you are worried about your rings while swimming or taking a tour, try asking the front desk of your resort to lock them in the hotel safe. Make them give you a detailed receipt so if anything happens you will have proof of what you gave them and that they had responsibility for the rings. The hotel safe should be safer than your room safe since housekeeping or security has to have some access to the safes in case a guest checks-out and locks the safe accidentally.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I completely agree with Alidewey! Putting your rings in your beach bag is a HUGE risk!

For vacation I think only jewelry you plan to wear pretty much the ENTIRE vacation (minus sleep) should be brought along. One of my relatives brought a travel jewelry case along with her while on a business trip and had $7K worth of bracelets, earrings and necklaces swipped! Since then, I don't think she's even purchased any more jewelry. The theft pretty much ruined the fun she once had with her sparkilies.

Just wear and enjoy your ring. It's your honeymoon!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
We went to Cancun on our honeymoon. I usually wore both rings out on the beach but for things like water skiing and such I left them in our in-room safe. Perhaps you could inquire as to whether your hotel offers such.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
This is a tough one... My heart says, "Rings are meant to be worn and enjoyed! wear them!" But I am a hypocrite--I wear CZs when travelling and put all my jewelry into the bank vault. I am a "paranoid patty" generally (is the sky falling?
2.gif
) But I want to be carefree on vacations and I would worry about my diamond so best to leave it in a safe place at home.

I do agree that in a beach bag is a bad idea, as well as in the hotel room. If you''re not as hyper-sensitive as I, wear them, enjoy and just keep them on 24/7.
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2005 5:35
6.gif
8 PM
Author: pearcrazy
We went to Cancun on our honeymoon. I usually wore both rings out on the beach but for things like water skiing and such I left them in our in-room safe. Perhaps you could inquire as to whether your hotel offers such.
Not all hotel room safes are safe. Some have notices right on them that state the hotel will not in any way be liable if an item is lost or stolen. This is another issue to bring up if you call to see if an in-room safe is offered.
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh this is tough because I know how much you want to wear your rings while you''re on your honeymoon. When we go on vacation I either wear my rings or put them in the room safe. I would not however put them in your beach bag, as you could get distracted and boom your rings are gone. As long as they fit well and you don''t grind them in the sand I would wear them and enjoy them, but that''s just my 0.2!!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Make sure your insurance policy is good, then decide sensibly as you go.

Whether in the room safe, with you at the beach or on you in the water be "insured" if (heaven forbid) something happens.

- - - - -

I've called resorts ahead of time to ask about terms of in-room safes - which is where I tend to leave the precious things.

Well, except for the girl. She gets to come to the beach.
emhot.gif
face23.gif

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,

Yes I''d like to add some comments to my original post. I think it''s ok to leave it in the bag if you are going to be carrying the bag on your person the whole time. Leaving your bag on the shore and going in the water... I don''t know.. I would be so nervous. Whether you wear it or carry it just make sure it''s close by :) IMO. Mara''s story about how she wore her rings all honeymoon should give you more peace of mind if you decide to wear your rings the whole time. Ultimately it depends on the activity that you plan to do.

Whatever you plan to do just have a great time on your honeymoon!! :)

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
I would not travel out of the country with my rings, or any other jewelry that I really cared about. Here''s why.

My husband and I went to Madrid and Torremellinos (sp?) in Spain. While in Madrid (in broad daylight) in Retiro Park, we were mugged. Two thugs put a knife to my husband''s neck. Universal language. We lost our wedding rings, cash, camera, and watches. LUCKILY we were not harmed and the things we lost were not expensive. I did not bring my e-ring. But it was a profoundly upsetting experience.

Two funny (now years later) side notes from the experience. We went to the police station in Madrid. My husband is somewhat fluent in Spanish. But he misconjugated his verbs when speaking to the police. Instead of saying, "We''ve be robbed!" He said, "We have robbed someone!" The policeman said, "Yeah, Fill out the form."

Since we traveled to a Torremellinos, the new hotel did not believe we were married. Spain is a very Catholic country. They put us in a room with twin beds on opposite sides of the room.
8.gif

Really, it''s your choice to travel with your jewelry, or store it in a safe place. You need to have adequate insurance. I have a nice platinum band with some small diamonds that I don''t take off. I also travel with a couple of small Yurman bangles (just to have something pretty). I put my e-ring and other expensive jewelry in a safety deposit box.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Well, I hate to be the party pooper in this discussion, and maybe I''ve been married too long at this point, but you shouldn''t travel with the rocks. I say, leave them at home and then you don''t worry about theft or damage... and you have something REALLY great to look forward to upon your return, as after the wedding and the honeymoon to follow are over, there is definitely a let-down. You will have the rest of your life to wear the rings. If you do choose to wear them, DO NOT leave them in your beach bad -- theives KNOW vacationers do this and you are a target. Also, I wouldn''t want to get them mucked up with sunscreen, sand, and saltwater, nor want them scratched. If there is not a room safe, then leave them in the hotel''s safe. Be VERY careful when visiting tourist sites.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Interesting the variety of opinions on this one. I''m glad to know from Mara that saltwater will not harm my rings. Not so glad to hear about thugs in foreign countries. The beach bag thing wasn''t quite as ridiculous as it sounded just because it''s a private island and from what I have been told you pretty much NEVER see other people...but better safe than sorry. Here''s our honeymoon spot link...

http://psvresort.com/

Still not sure what I am going to do but I have a few months to think about it!

LuvthatSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Hi!!

I was engaged many moons ago......and I wore my ring to Key Largo, FL. I stayed in the water, I was a fish for 5 days!!!! I snorkeled, I jet skied, I parasailed, I did other things
9.gif
and I never took my ring off. Nothing happened! However, my Diamond did get very dirty!! nothing a quick bath in jewelry cleaner couldn't fix. I wished I could have bought some with me!!! At the end of the day I wanted my diamond to sparkle during dinner.........and it didn't LOL so wear your rings and bring some jewelry cleaner for a qucik clean up so you can sparkle through the night.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
LuvthatSparkle,

I use toothpaste and a toothbrush to clean my rings when we travel. I keep an extra small toothbrush in my travel bag and it works really well.

Island Dreams,

Your honeymoon spot looks gorgeous!

kbling

Rough_Rock
I read on the Kwiat Diamonds site that cleaning your jewelry with toothpaste could damage/discolor the metal. Has anyone else heard this?

These are their care/cleaning tips.

Basic Cleaning Information

Cleaning your diamond jewelry at home is easy to do. For a quick clean that will get your diamonds looking like new, follow these steps:

• Soak your jewelry for 5-10 minutes in a mix of lukewarm water and a small amount of dishwashing soap –you can also use a commercially available cleaning solution

• Gently brush the diamond jewelry with a toothbrush to remove the buildup of dirt and grime

• Rinse the jewelry under warm water

• Wipe dry with a soft cloth taking care not to touch the diamonds with your fingers

• For a deeper clean, add household-strength ammonia to the mix (ratio of one third ammonia to two thirds water)

Storing Your Jewelry

Your jewelry should be stored in a clean, dry place. Each piece should be kept in an individual jewelry case, cloth pouch or box to avoid any scratching or chipping. Remember, diamonds are the hardest substance in the world and they can scratch metal and chip other diamonds.

Other Cleaning and Care Tips

• Have your jewelry checked by a professional jeweler at least once per year – professionals can check for loose stones and other signs of wear and can give your jewelry a deeper clean
• Jewelry with stones other than diamonds may need other care – consult your local jeweler for more information
• Exposure to hairspray and perfume can cause diamonds and jewelry to appear dull – get ready first and then put on your jewelry
• Avoid wearing diamond jewelry when doing rough or strenuous activity – diamonds can be chipped or damaged by a sudden blow
• Don’t use toothpaste, chlorine, saltwater or bleach to clean your jewelry – it can damage or discolor the metal
• Take off jewelry before swimming in a chlorinated pool
• Cleaning in or around a sink is not recommended – jewelry or stones can slip down the drain if you’re not careful!
• Do not put your jewelry into water that is already boiling – sudden extreme changes in temperature could cause stones to crack
• “Ultrasonic” machines are commercially available to help you keep your jewelry clean. While these can be effective for diamond jewelry, they can damage other types of jewelry – consult your local jeweler to be sure that your jewels will be safe

LuvthatSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Wow, really! I thought toothpaste was harsh on the metal!! I''ll remember that next time. Patty, I love your ring with the Diamond and Sapphire sides, I have it saved to my favorites.
36.gif

LuvthatSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Also, I bought my jewelry cleaner at duane reade drug store. Standard Amonia/Water solution kinda soapy. It comes with a try for dipping and a soft brush for cleaning. When my jewelry gets funky I dip it while I brush my teeth in the morning. Then I stop the sink (to keep anyting from going to the drain "good lord") and scrub and rinse. I don''t unstop the sink until the ring is safely back on my finger. And I don''t leave it in the solution too long.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2005 5
6.gif
3:24 PM
Author: IslandDreams
Interesting the variety of opinions on this one. I'm glad to know from Mara that saltwater will not harm my rings. Not so glad to hear about thugs in foreign countries. The beach bag thing wasn't quite as ridiculous as it sounded just because it's a private island and from what I have been told you pretty much NEVER see other people...but better safe than sorry. Here's our honeymoon spot link...

http://psvresort.com/

Still not sure what I am going to do but I have a few months to think about it!
Incredible vacation site. What a complete getaway. Explains your choice of SN here.

Will you spend a night or two in Barbados, or get to the island as fast as possible?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi IslandDreams,
I went to Mexico for my honeymoon and didn't take my rings off the entire time. Of course, I didn't know any better and really didn't consider losing them or having them stolen. I tend to agree with Mara, wear them, have fun..you have insurance right??

Looks like a great honeymoon spot....

edited to add; i may not be the best person to take advice from, i just got my new appraisal back from Rich Sherwood and he discovered 2 small chips
39.gif
on my stone. fortuately, their not visible to the naked eye but
39.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Good plan! I''ll bring jewelry cleaner and just wear them and not worry. Then they''ll be safe AND sparkle for dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results