shape
carat
color
clarity

Passed around pink tourmaline finally set!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Thank guys. My enjoyment is dampened and I'm pretty much freaking out now. I only wore the ring driving home, to dinner, and just now to get some soup at Panera Bread, so about 2 hours of wear time. I louped the prongs for scratches when I picked it up, and was amazed at what a nice job they did. I hadn't really examined it in detail in good lighting until I was admiring it today and noticed what I think might be a huge crack only visible from only a certain angle. So upsetting. I emailed him asking if he noticed it and if it could be a fracture and can he look at it. This stone was described by Gene as "loupe clean". :blackeye:

tourm 006.JPG

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hmmm, I kind of doubt that what you're looking at is a crack. It may be some internal bit of silk or some other very hard to see inclusion. Fractures can be seen as a line in one direction, but in the right lighting and at 90 degrees to the direction you're looking in, you should see a rather large and noticeable flash if it were a crack. The easiest way for you to see this would be to stand in the sunlight and let the light go through the side of the stone. Now tilt the table up or down by maybe 45 degrees and see if you can make out a flash. I don't think you will, but you may be able to see that line "move around", now that you know it's there. Neat picture by the way, I think that you need a microscope!

I just thought that I'd edit this to say that even if it were an internal fracture, it is something which is common in pink to red tourmaline and doesn't affect the stone's durability unless it is very close to the surface of the crown of the stone. I wouldn't sweat it, it's a beautiful stone and setting!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Michael! What I see does pick up light like a fiber optic cable in sunlight, but I guess you are right that the crack has no depth from the side like a big cleave would. I do have a zircon cushion with a crack in the table and know what flash you are referring to. This looks more like a fishing line. Hopefully the jeweler will say it is silk and put my mind at ease since durability is my biggest concern. Whatever it is it is deep in the pavilion. I can enjoy the stone as long as nature made it and it wasn't something that happened in cutting or setting, because I'd be terrified to wear it and damage it further. I would find it surprising that Gene would describe something like that as loupe clean if it's natural, he is a very trustworthy guy by my assessment but it also needs to be at just the right angle to see so he could have overlooked it if he was only louping face up. And I do need a microscope!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I think the big lesson is get it appraised and insured because if I do damage it I can never afford to replace it for what I paid since the stone was done in trade (I couldn't have afforded the retail) and the cost of a custom setting was far less than I'd expect.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
That setting is sooo delicate and beautiful! Congrats!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I came back to look again in hopes of more pictures and you didn't disappoint. It's truly a work of art. As for the line, It doesn't look like a fracture but it's good that you are having the jeweller take a look at it.

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
i rarely comment in colored stones, but that ring is a stunner :love:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Ah, I feel better now. The jeweler echoed Michael E.'s assessment it is an inclusion and not anything that affects durability. Now I won't have to worry when I wear it rockclimbing! ;))

He says:
I wouldn't be concerned. I saw it in my pictures too and you probably have a single, long, negative (hollow) tube within your stone, but remember most colored stones have inclusions. In fact, with most colored stones you want them for their identifying characteristics (so you can prove it's natural). It won't affect the durability at all. By all means, feel free to stop in and we'll look at it under the microscope and figure out exactly what we're looking at. There's "eye clean" and there's "loupe clean"... technically loupe clean means that there isn't an inclusion you can see at 10x period, but that has a lot to do with the person using the loupe. Microscopes solve all problems :)

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad to hear that reassuring update, kelpie! Your stone and setting are gorgeous and I gasped when I read your description of the "crack". It's heart-wrenching to hear about people's damaged stones and it seems like there have been a few of them lately.

Enjoy your new ring =)

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
FAB. Love it.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I love that way it's finally been set! This has been one of those I've been following for some time, and I'm so happy it has such a beautiful home with you, Kelpie! You pull it off so well!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ring Kelpie, glad you found a trustworthy local jeweler. :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so beautiful, I just love the new pictures and the gallery and shank detail.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love, love, love your ring! I love the fact that you took a stone and designed something so original - and it is original. You designed a setting that is as beautiful as the stone - and that's saying a lot! I went to your jewelers website. They have great designs, but by far my favorite is yours. It is so different than their other pieces that it seems as if you must have done most of the designing. And they seem really reasonably priced, if the prices of the rings on their website are any indication. When I grow up, I want one!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Yay, new pictures! That ring is such a beauty. And I'm glad you got reassuring news on the inclusions :) Wear the ring in good health, it is such a unique and graceful piece.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux said:
I love, love, love your ring! I love the fact that you took a stone and designed something so original - and it is original. You designed a setting that is as beautiful as the stone - and that's saying a lot! I went to your jewelers website. They have great designs, but by far my favorite is yours. It is so different than their other pieces that it seems as if you must have done most of the designing. And they seem really reasonably priced, if the prices of the rings on their website are any indication. When I grow up, I want one!

Thanks so much! Yes, it's definitely not their usual aesthetic as their pieces tends to have a lot of detailed metalwork along with the stones, I wanted the stone to be the showstopper but I love the detail he added in the gallery, that was all him and is featured in a lot of their engagement rings on a subdued scale. Most of the pieces are probably the fathers' and this was the son's so that could also account for the difference in style. They put my ring on their front page! I feel like the girl with the famous ring! :naughty:

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Wowza! That is a gorgeous ring! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results