shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraibainternational pictures true color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Wow- I finally checked out twodoor 2 recommendation to look at paaibainternational- and very nice! Are these pictures true to life? There are some beauty green tourmalines- but, just for the record- ANY STONE that is copper bearing like paraiba, even if onscreen the colors look almost exact- is going to look much better in real life, right? I like a lot of the tourmalines from AFganistan and the mint greens look as good as some of the green official paraibas. But is this just the photo deceiving and, like beautiful colored apatite, regular tourmalines will just not compare to paraibas?

For example- this mint green looks really cool and not the "usual" green tourmaline...

http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=960

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
They have a good reputation, but they are extremely overpriced. They''ve had the same stones listed forever, so no one is buying due to prices I would imagine. Does anyone else have anything to say about paraibainternational? I think Pala gems, which is the premier source for gemstones, has lower prices than they do.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I went to their website to have a look and I must say they are overpriced. They are more expensive than what my jeweler charges..

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t see the $99,000 paraiba on their ebay site anymore. Do you think they sold it? It was a bargain considering it was under $100,000!!!
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
27.gif

It is on their regular website.

http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=1106

I''m sorry, but there''s no way I would pay that much for a Brazilian paraiba, even if the Mozambique is not as highly reputed, and some of Pala''s Mozambique is just as nice. I could pay that much for a five carat diamond!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never bought from PI but it looks expensive. Even Pala is overpriced. I can get stones of the same caliber for much less from my preferred vendors.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have purchased alot from Paraiba International and can tell you that Adam and his father Jerry are two of the most honest people I have met in the business. Their stones are exactly as described and look exactly as pictured. I have gone into NYC to see their inventory and can tell you all the stones look as good as they do on line. The stones are recut to US standards unless it is a very rare stone and then could be slightly off perfect.

Regards,
Maurice

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"but, just for the record- ANY STONE that is copper bearing like paraiba, even if onscreen the colors look almost exact- is going to look much better in real life, right?"

Well.., no.

Computer screen pictures do not always tell all... even if the vendor gets the stone to look the same color on their computer screen as it does in real life. Your computer screen may display a different color.

Based on my recent visit to Pala I''m convinced of one thing regarding colored Jemstones. You need to see them in person - and perferably with a lot of other stones of the type so that you can pick out what appeals to you.

Perry

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2007 9:30:03 PM
Author: MJO
I have purchased alot from Paraiba International and can tell you that Adam and his father Jerry are two of the most honest people I have met in the business. Their stones are exactly as described and look exactly as pictured. I have gone into NYC to see their inventory and can tell you all the stones look as good as they do on line. The stones are recut to US standards unless it is a very rare stone and then could be slightly off perfect.

Regards,
Maurice
Ditto. I bought a mint tourmaline from Paraiba last month and it looked even better than it did online. Do remember that they allow returns.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 8:27:46 AM
Author: Chrono
I''ve never bought from PI but it looks expensive. Even Pala is overpriced. I can get stones of the same caliber for much less from my preferred vendors.

I don''t know that I would characterize Pala as overpriced. Bill Larson is an extremely picky buyer, and prefers a quality stone over price points. You would have to be sure you''re comparing apples to apples before characterizing Pala as overpriced.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 7:46:59 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood

Date: 7/30/2007 8:27:46 AM
Author: Chrono

I don''t know that I would characterize Pala as overpriced. Bill Larson is an extremely picky buyer, and prefers a quality stone over price points. You would have to be sure you''re comparing apples to apples before characterizing Pala as overpriced.
Is Bill Larson affiliated with Pala or Paraiba? I went down to SD to see some of the set stones at Pala''s retail store, granted they are located in a luxury hotel, and I was shocked at the high prices. The quality of the stones did look great, but they made Beverly Hills prices look low. They were very willing to show me loose stones or welcome me to make an appointment at their headquarters in Fallbrook, but I am afriad I will fall in love with something way out of my budget when maybe I can find something equally as nice with other venders.

I think it is difficult to compare because originally I was just comparing paraiba tourmalines on different sites and it seemed like prices for these particular stones run from ''above average'' to ''ridiculously high'' - depending on how much the vender hypes the rarity of paraiba''s. When looking at other inventory like regular tourmalines, aquamarines, etc- maybe prices might not be so inflated on various sites?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results