carat
color
clarity

Paraiba, Red Spinel, Spessartite project ideas

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
[This is carrying over from the "catch all thread"...]

I'm working on a suite using paraiba/cuprian tourmaline, red spinel, and light orange spessartite. We got started designing on the other thread but it was suggested to create a new one, which makes sense, as I would appreciate a lot of input and suggestions.

I just love the colors together! They are so juicy and alive! I get a vision of something Mayan, definitely a rich yellow gold, maybe a bit tribal or raw...

I bought the red spinel and spessartite over last weekend at a very small show. The dealer let me pick through a parcel of the red spinel. Wish I had bought even more! The spess was from another dealer, I'll be seeing him again in a couple weeks and plan to purchase as much spess as needed, his prices were very reasonable. The paraiba and cuprian I already had, plus I have some paraiba melee (1.6mm and 1.0mm residing with Yvonne).

The first pic is an idea for the earrings - paraiba set in posts, with red spinel and spess dangling below. Next to that is a larger cuprian that I'm working on a ring design with Yvonne for. To the far right are the remaining red spinel. There are 7, not all the same shape or size but close. They are less cherry red than the ones in the earring box.

Necklace: I was picturing a bar set with stones, with stones dangling below. Nothing too big, something that could be worn every day. Here's a pic of a gold, bar necklace set with stones:

Maybe have the paraiba 1.6mm melee set in the bar, with alternating red spinel and spess dangling below? Here's a simple drawing, colored with sharpies! At least gives the idea. But I'm not set on this so please toss out your ideas and any photos!

For a matching ring, I'm not sure what stones I would have left. I am working on a ring with Yvonne using the large oval cuprian, but its a different style, similar to her Petal line. So maybe a spess and red spinel ring?

Please feel free to advise and comment!

img_10876.jpg

87406_0.jpg

img_10877.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

How fun! I was waiting for you to create this thread before replying. :)

Your necklace sketch is what I was envisioning too. :) I also found these two examples; take them for the overall idea, not the specifics. haha

ss-yg_1000x1000_0.jpg

bar_necklace_dscf3811_0.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! What an exciting project :appl:

Could you post the petal ring from Yvonne that you mentioned? It sounds beautiful.
The stones for the earrings have such fabulous colors!!! If the stones are relatively heavy, you could consider creating multi purpose earrings, so you can wear the cuprians as studs or dangling earrings, as well as the top part of larger earrings.

_2144.jpeg

_2145.jpeg

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Sparkliesluver and Acinom -

Thanks for the pics and suggestions! Yes, Sparkliesluver, those are great inspirations for the necklace. My drawing is totally out of scale, I think it would be a bit more dramatic like the second pic you posted, but not as deep of dangley-ness. ;-)

Acinom, love your idea of removable lower portions of the earrings! Have you done that before? Does it have a little locking clasp or something?

And the suggestion for the cuprian ring is also great! Especially because I was bad :naughty: and just snapped up another paraiba that Yvonne just posted!

I am so bad! I have bought way, way too much from her lately!

So maybe that changes all my plans for paraibas/cuprians and rings...

Acinom, this was the inspiration ring for the cuprian setting I asked Yvonne to come up with:

But now, maybe this new pear should be a ring...its 6.5 x 4 but I think she's saying it can work in her 7x5 settings...

il_262.jpg

il_263.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

I really like the second necklace too - just with some modifications. ;-) Totally understand.

Ooooo, you were bad! ;-) :lol: :love: Love the pear! I'm biased toward a pear ring, but ... that one looks like it'd be delicious in anything.

Are you wanting the finished pieces (for everything) to go together or what's your overall vision? Sorry, my mind goes too many different ways when I'm thinking about multiple stones. haha

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah yes, I now remember you posted that beautiful ring in the Paraiba thread :appl: I love that design!

And ooooh! What an amazing choice :love: I love love love that pear shape and again: what a glow!!!
Eventually you will hopefully set all your cuprians. I agree with Sparklies that it could be nice to wear them as a suite :love:

I only wear diamond studs myself, so hopefully others chime in who had earrings made with removable parts.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Sparkliesluver, I should probably backtrack a bit- I've got paraiba projects underway with Yvonne now, all resulting from her fabulous Tucson trip and sale. The cuprian ring was going to be for part of that set. Then I found the spinel/spess/paraiba combo...I'm getting a little crazy with projects! They don't all need to match. I think its nice to match earrings and necklaces since they are both around the face, but rings can be worn more independently, at least for me.

Paraiba earrings underway:
Like this photo, except all paraiba stones. Rose gold. These are part of her Petal line.

Paraiba necklace underway:
Marquis necklace, with paraiba marquis and paraiba melee (4 x 1mm), also rose gold. Sample off her store:

So that's a set, and the cuprian ring with the petal/leaf band was sort of matching in style I thought...But now with this pear, maybe do a pear paraiba ring like this? Maybe the cuprian is meant for some other project?

il_264.jpg

il_265.jpg

petal_rings_53_amp_54.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DesertRose, I glad you decided to start a thread on all your beautiful new projects. I can't wait to see them come together. :dance:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous inspirations, especially the necklace and the ring

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
wow- you have been on a roll!!! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your projects completed. Love your inspiration ring, too.

Oh, and I just purchased the big sister to your pear. :)

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
PInk Jewel: I was wondering who got that one! I was tempted to switch mine out for that one : ) But then it disappeared! Glad you got it!!! Its so fun how many of us are getting sister stones from Yvonne - can't wait to see all the projects completed! TG we have a Yvonne thread here to show them all off!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
We're definitely on a roll!!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1456342012|3995000 said:
wow- you have been on a roll!!! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your projects completed. Love your inspiration ring, too.

I was hoping that was a PSer. You got that fast (I swear, I blinked and it was gone). :lol:
I picked up the 1ct oval.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elle and Pinkjewel: on a roll indeed!
Please post pics of your new purchases in the Paraiba/cuprian thread :appl:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
elle_71125|1456343912|3995026 said:
pinkjewel|1456342012|3995000 said:

I was hoping that was a PSer. You got that fast (I swear, I blinked and it was gone). :lol:
I picked up the 1ct oval.

haha- I've missed out on so many I was sitting refreshing my computer this time knowing it was about to be posted. ;))

Congrats on the oval!! I almost pulled the trigger on it, but it was slightly greener than all my melee, so decided to hold out for the pear since it was a bit bluer. Thought about the cab, too- but the fact that it might be oiled was the deciding factor not to purchase it.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Wow, Desertrose, you have a beautiful collection! The Paraiba earrings and ring will be gorgeous! I also really like the bar necklace that you posted as inspiration and the first necklace that Sparklies posted as well! I tend to go for smaller solitaire type jewelry for myself, so this will be a fun thread to follow, I love your bold and colorful aesthetic! Also, your new tourmaline pear is so bright and beautiful, yummy!

Quick question for pinkjewel, a little OT, but why would the oil on the cab be a bad thing? I am just curious as to why it would be used in the first place?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
picante27|1456350521|3995109 said:
Wow, Desertrose, you have a beautiful collection! The Paraiba earrings and ring will be gorgeous! I also really like the bar necklace that you posted as inspiration and the first necklace that Sparklies posted as well! I tend to go for smaller solitaire type jewelry for myself, so this will be a fun thread to follow, I love your bold and colorful aesthetic! Also, your new tourmaline pear is so bright and beautiful, yummy!

Quick question for pinkjewel, a little OT, but why would the oil on the cab be a bad thing? I am just curious as to why it would be used in the first place?

Many times it is used for fracture filling and it would be a durability issue for me. They do it with emeralds all the time, so it's not a no-no. I just preferred the pear I had already purchased. =)

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks PinkJewel, Acinom, Elle, Picante - its so much fun to hear your feedback!

Picante, thanks for appreciating my 'aesthetic'! Here's couple more pics of the colors of this set, for your enjoyment ~ first indirect natural light, then fluorescent/incandescent light:

To give you an idea of scale, these are 1.5"x1.5" gem boxes.

I can't wait to see these get set! However I need to finish the paraiba set currently with Yvonne first...then find someone local who can make this vision come true!

img_10878.jpg

img_10879.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These look like wonderful projects that will turn out stupendous! Just a note that "dangly" pendants and necklaces do not like to stay put and face up straight.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks Chrono! That means a lot, coming from you : ) :dance: Your advice is always spot on!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results