shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba cab

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I'm looking at a round paraiba cab 11mm, 5.8cts.
Vendor described the stone has great glow it's a great size and shape but the downside is the stone is opaque and a bit deep. So I'm wondering if I should look for a cleaner stone or is it the norm for paraiba cab these days?
Here're a few photos from the vendor.

Thanks in advance!

_2702.jpeg

_2703.jpeg

_2704.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you already received the video Lovinggems?
And do you know what the depth is? Based on the photo's the stone looks rich and full to my eyes, but not overly deep.

I have no idea what the norms are, so hopefully the experts will chime in soon. Most important though is that you 'feel the love' (and that you do not pay too much).

It's good that you thread carefully as Paraiba's are scarce and do mostly not come cheap.
To my eyes the stone looks so beautiful and unique.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The nature of cabochons is that they have a high dome, and so it is a naturally deep "cut". As for transparency, it is unfortunate that most of what is available these days tends to be more included and it is the included stones that are fashioned into cabochons for resale-ability. If it were clean, it would have been faceted for a higher profit margin.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked up the dimensions of my sugarloaf cab for comparison:
Paraiba sugarloaf cabochon
Weight: 5.42 ct
Dimensions: 11.30 x 9.20 x 7.20 mm
Color: neon green
Clarity: SI
Treatments: heat
Origin: Paraiba, Brazil
Hardness: 7.5

Will the video be made in several lighting conditions!
If not, ask the vendor to make pics with the stones looking it's best and looking it's worst.

_2710.jpeg

_2711.jpeg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cleaner cabs will mean 'mo money. I agree with Chrono, if its really clean (or semi clean considering) they'll facet the stone.
The stone looks good, but if you have issues with inclusions, its not going to be the stone for you.

Depth wise it looks good. It will sit higher than a faceted stone but most cabs do. In this case it may work in your favor as it saturates the color more.

For some types of material, I think you have to be either more lenient in terms of whats you can accept because of scarcity, or, spend way more to get the type of material you want, or, if its really financially out of reach, not bother at all. (been there; it always hurts a little)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost returned my cab without even taking it out of the box. Even once set, I had a hard time comparing it to my faceted ones which were sparkly and transparent. Now I love it and others seem to notice the glow more often because it stands out on its own. And mine isn't ideal for a paraiba can....yours is more transparent than mine and mine didn't show the glow at all in Yvonne's pictures.

But you need to love the look as its very different than the faceted versions. I'd personally love to own a larger and nicer one like your pictures (or of course, Acinom's) if I could afford it.

(I just saw your comments on phone versus PC pictures...pictures always appear more saturated and bright when I view them on my phone.)

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Acinom|1459425569|4013607 said:
Have you already received the video Lovinggems?
And do you know what the depth is? Based on the photo's the stone looks rich and full to my eyes, but not overly deep.

I have no idea what the norms are, so hopefully the experts will chime in soon. Most important though is that you 'feel the love' (and that you do not pay too much).

It's good that you thread carefully as Paraiba's are scarce and do mostly not come cheap.
To my eyes the stone looks so beautiful and unique.

Dear Acinom I did received a video but it doesn't show much glow, although it seems Yvonne's video and photos doesn't showcase her gems that well. Have a look at the lagoon tourmaline video as an example.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s0OEKY2m5X0

Yes you're right even though this is not a super expensive in paraiba terms it is still a good amount of money (mid thousands) and I've spent a bit more time asking questions and researching, luckily Yvonne didn't mind my daily emails, but I feel I learnt a bit more about this cab and some info on paraibas in general. It is great you seem to love it too, you've chosen some really gorgeous specimens for you own collection.
I don't really mind inclusions as long as there aren't issues regarding setting and normal usage, I just want a gem that glows like your cab. :drool:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Chrono, Arcadian and lilmosun for your comments, it's always useful to hear what seasoned gem collectors have to say, your comments clarified a few things on my mind. Seems like very included cabs are acceptable for paraibas now, I had read earlier threads and they mentioned too much inclusions detracts from the glow. Lilmosun not sure if this one is less included than yours as Yvonne described it as opaque, maybe it's neonness masked the inclusions well.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's common to find inclusions in Paraiba, even in faceted stones, so most cabs will usually be included. I actually like the silky Paraiba (with colorless inclusions) more than the expensive cleaner ones (except for the dark growth tubes that you see sometimes in Mozambique material). I find that the silkiness helps the glow.

Would you be able to have the stone sent to you? Yvonne typically has a generous return policy. Since it's a large purchase it might be better to make sure you love it in person before committing.

Personally.... based on the photos only, I would consider getting it. It's gorgeous. The height and shape looks good for a cab (I don't really take depth into consideration for cabs.) and it looks like it has that glow. If it is opaque (not semi- translucent) and does NOT have the Paraiba glow in person, I would save my money and look for a high quality Peruvian blue opal instead, as you get a similar color without the price tag, obviously durability may be a factor but the price saving may compensate somewhat. (Just my thoughts..)

Eg. https://www.oilpearl.com/c-opal/c-blue-opal-peru

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
mochiko42|1459500380|4014070 said:
It's common to find inclusions in Paraiba, even in faceted stones, so most cabs will usually be included. I actually like the silky Paraiba (with colorless inclusions) more than the expensive cleaner ones (except for the dark growth tubes that you see sometimes in Mozambique material). I find that the silkiness helps the glow.

Would you be able to have the stone sent to you? Yvonne typically has a generous return policy. Since it's a large purchase it might be better to make sure you love it in person before committing.

Personally.... based on the photos only, I would consider getting it. It's gorgeous. The height and shape looks good for a cab (I don't really take depth into consideration for cabs.) and it looks like it has that glow. If it is opaque (not semi- translucent) and does NOT have the Paraiba glow in person, I would save my money and look for a high quality Peruvian blue opal instead, as you get a similar color without the price tag, obviously durability may be a factor but the price saving may compensate somewhat. (Just my thoughts..)

Thanks for your suggestions Mochiko, I have a pearl ring project with DK at the moment, maybe I can attach the cab to my order and have DK send everything to me. I think Yvonne should be able to give me some time to view it in person, based on her description and photos I think it's worth seeing it in person. Hope this works out as I'm looking forward to thinking about settings and designs.
Btw the Peruvian opal cabs are gorgeous! :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
5 years ago, I would have said it's too included. Today, pickings are slim so you have to balance budget, clarity, colour and etc against availability.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1459501768|4014075 said:
mochiko42|1459500380|4014070 said:

Thanks for your suggestions Mochiko, I have a pearl ring project with DK at the moment, maybe I can attach the cab to my order and have DK send everything to me. I think Yvonne should be able to give me some time to view it in person, based on her description and photos I think it's worth seeing it in person. Hope this works out as I'm looking forward to thinking about settings and designs.
Btw the Peruvian opal cabs are gorgeous! :love:

I hope it works out for you, too!! It looks to have a lovely color and size- so hope it glows neon. :D

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again everyone, I decided to get it, hopefully it glows like Acinom's beautiful sugarloaf.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovinggems|1459548021|4014317 said:
Thanks again everyone, I decided to get it, hopefully it glows like Acinom's beautiful sugarloaf.

Congrats with your decision!! Any ideas on how you will set it?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Acinom|1459551595|4014352 said:
Lovinggems|1459548021|4014317 said:

Congrats with your decision!! Any ideas on how you will set it?
Acinom let me gather some photos and get back to you. :bigsmile:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Dear Acinom here's a collage of my favourite rings, elements and colour combination. Should I go for modern like the Jochenleen rings? Your vintage beauty? LM's glamourous style? Also what colour metal? Platinum? Yellow or rose gold? Accent stones? Tsavorites, paraiba, Hauynes, pink spinel, yellow diamonds or sapphires, or even blue sapphires?

_2759.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful collage. And so proud to see my ring there.
I had never heard of Jochen Leën, so I Googled him. He is actually Antwerp based. Love his aesthetic.
To be honest... when I look at your collage I get choice paralysis :lol: So I am of no help.
Which style are you leaning to and do you have settings in mind you always wanted to try.

As long as the center stone is the true star, you cannot go wrong here.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Acinom, Sparkliesluvr was the one that posted about Jochen that's how I found out about him.
I have a dilemma, which one which you choose?

_2770.jpeg

_2771.jpeg

_2772.jpeg

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Do you have to pick just one??? :naughty:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Desertrose|1459644897|4014772 said:
Do you have to pick just one??? :naughty:

Yes ;( unless you want to sponsor me. :bigsmile:

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have to say I'm more drawn to the faceted stone...I don't know why. The cab almost seems more glowy, but I just like looking at the faceted one...I think maybe its the variations in color. Is there much of a price difference?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Desertrose|1459656306|4014805 said:
I have to say I'm more drawn to the faceted stone...I don't know why. The cab almost seems more glowy, but I just like looking at the faceted one...I think maybe its the variations in color. Is there much of a price difference?

It's about $1k diff with the faceted stone being cheaper, it's just shy of 2cts.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Here's a mock up of the size difference, I think I can halo the oval to bump up its size. The cab though is a lovely round and it has a large presence. You're right DesertRose Yvonne described the cab as slightly more glowy, but she found the faceted stone more interesting to look at.

_2774.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a huge dilemma. The round has a great presence, a gorgeous soft cab shape and it has the glow.
The faceted stone has more colour variations and thus resembles the Caribbean sea.

Based on the pics I agree that the faceted stone has this oomph and 'something going on'. Which one are you more drawn too?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Acinom|1459665363|4014827 said:
What a huge dilemma. The round has a great presence, a gorgeous soft cab shape and it has the glow.
The faceted stone has more colour variations and thus resembles the Caribbean sea.

Based on the pics I agree that the faceted stone has this oomph and 'something going on'. Which one are you more drawn too?

I don't know yet Acinom, they both look good to me. :???:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uh oh...

Do you have more Paraiba stones besides your gorgeous Yvonne ring?

_2785.jpeg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Nope except some 1.6mm melees for a halo.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be nice to have one faceted stone and one cab.
However, I feel you should choose the one that speaks most to you.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
what a dilemma to have- they both look really beautiful. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is for the faceted one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results