shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba Cab--finally found one!

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Have you seen the cab in person? If not maybe that will help make the decision easier either way. Keep us posted!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1462074519|4025683 said:
No, honestly just because I feel really guilty about taking time to pay and then being indecisive. Ugh, she's been so nice throughout and I hate being a problem. I've paid for the cab in full, but was waiting another month to pay for the side stones (which now is in a week, since I started talking to her about this almost a month ago). I'll try to write her....I just hate disappointing people or making problems for them.

Ah...I suffer from that too, especially with independent fb vendors. But this is not an insignificant purchase so you need to be sure. A month of payments is not that long imo. If others would have bought it in that period, it should go quickly. It's not like they have become more common or prices have fallen.

I don't know your vendor but I assume since she is on etsy, she has a return policy anyway and most vendors would prefer knowing up front their customer is on the fence. You are doing her a favor by being open as it gives her an opportunity to continue to work with you. I know that I would instinctually make more of an effort to go back to a vendor who understood my uncertainty on a purchase over a vendor I bought something from that I wasn't completely happy with (even if it was through no fault of their own). Vendors thrive longer on long term customer relationships over one time purchasers.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with contacting the vendor with a friendly mail and openly discuss your doubts. Please do not continue with the purchase if you are not 100% sure. And you're not...

Are you only having doubts about the design? Or is it the pricing? Are you sure about the center stone? I agree with getting to see it soon to see if you love it. It's a big purchase amd it's normal to have doubts during the process. I had these doubts with my sapphire and my two Paraibas. I love the stones and enjoy wearing the rings from the moment I had them on my finger. But during the process I was wondering whether I was spending too much and whether the stones were really that nice.

Good luck with making the right decisions. In your heart you will know what to do :wavey:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone for your understanding and advice! I summoned all my courage and wrote her this morning.

After everyone's thoughts/advice I realized I am more on the fence about the faceted stones, and whether I *need* them in addition to the cab. I think originally I was hoping the faceted stones could be a halo around the cab, but now that I realize that doesn't really work given the color/size, they kind of feel unnecessary, especially given the price (not that they are over priced--they are fairly priced, but the reality is that paraiba is expensive).

Also I have a hard time imagining the total price of the piece, since the stones altogether would be close to 2K, which for me is a LOT of money, and that doesn't include any diamonds, gold setting, etc. My wedding set was 3.5K, and the thought of even getting close to that price for anything else makes me feel incredibly guilty (even if that's unreasonable).

We will see what the vendor says, but in the meantime thanks to all of you for your support/advice!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's indeed a hefty price for the stones alone lovedogs. Especially since it's partly spend on melee (vs one bigger stone). Your stone actually does not need the faceted Paraiba melee. It will look awesome with and without the melee.
I am sure that the vendor rather wants a happy and returning customer.

Who will set this stone for you?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1462122339|4025829 said:
That's indeed a hefty price for the stones alone lovedogs. Especially since it's partly spend on melee (vs one bigger stone). Your stone actually does not need the faceted Paraiba melee. It will look awesome with and without the melee.
I am sure that the vendor rather wants a happy and returning customer.

Who will set this stone for you?

Thanks, Acinom :) I think I may try to find a setting from MDZ, since I tend to love their settings and they have reasonable prices. I usually find lots of things I love in their store, and they are always great about being able to modify things to fit the customer's stone.

Something like this would be great: http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-VS-DIAMOND-HALO-VINTAGE-PLATINUM-ENGAGEMENT-RING-6MM-ROUND-SETTING-ART-DECO/401111924273?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36499%26meid%3D31729ae7e8084df28b7646c73a8d7f1c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D172181590019

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Fabulous setting and pricing :appl:

_3364.jpeg

_3365.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty setting, Lovedogs. I think it would look gorgeous on your cab. And your cab would look gorgeous in it.
Glad to read it seems you have made some inner peace.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the setting and think it's the perfect solution. I agree that the paraiba melee in the shank don't really add anything in this case.

Hopefully the vendor understands and from your description of her interactions to date, I think she will. If she doesn't, I wouldn't feel guilty as the center paraiba is a significant purchase and a good vendor will want to make sure you are thrilled with it. As a vendor once said to me - it's how things are handled when a deal goes less than ideal that defines great customer service. Not that a vendor should allowed themselves to get cheated - but you aren't doing that in this case.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the setting.
Most of us don't have unlimited funds (though we sure wouldn't mind it :naughty: ) So the need to pull back isn't unheard of. I have tons of stuff sitting around unset (add to the fact we're buying and selling a house, I might not be setting anything for quite a while).

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you choose to purchase the paraiba cab it will look stunning in a setting like the one you posted. I think the vendor will understand your position so try not to worry too much.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
update: the vendor was very understanding. I told her that I would rather just stick with the cab at this point, and she seems fine with that. She reminded me that paraiba is rare, and that it might be worth getting now, but I think this is the right decision for me. We will see how I feel about the cab when it comes, but at least that purchase is something I was far more sure about wanting, and makes the project much more reasonable price-wise.

Thanks to all of you for being so kind and helpful, it is much appreciated! I think I got somewhat blinded by WANTING a paraiba SO MUCH that I jumped on something maybe without thinking it through quite enough. And I think I accepted the idea that I had to settle for something not 100% what I wanted because what I do want is WAAAAAY out of my price range, and likely will be forever. No matter what happens I'm going to learn from this and hopefully next time can just accept if I cannot afford something rather than settling :)

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I love your cab in the photos and the MDZ ring will complement it well. Hopefully it is glowy in person. :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, what a relief you discussed this matter with the vendor.

I love the color and shape of the center stone and I hope you love it when you see it in person :wavey:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I am late to this thread, but am very glad to hear that the vendor was willing to work this all out with you. I have also come to the conclusion of having to step back a little and reassess the financial part of what I want to have set and when. Getting caught up in the fun of acquiring stones and later setting them is very addictive indeed. I too can be very indecisive and that has fortunately helped me out on occasion. In an ideal world, we would all have unlimited funds to pursue our wants because the PSers on here have such amazing stones and beautiful pieces to drool over... such as yourself.

I hope you will fall in love with your stone when you see it in person. If not, then enjoy the thrill of the hunt for your dream paraiba. And that MDZ setting is very pretty. I have noticed it and like it alot as well.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very happy that the vendor was understanding....good customer service is worth recommending. Can't wait to see more pictures when the cab arrives!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the stone today in the mail. Here are some pics I took (overcast day here today)
20160506_102512.jpg 20160506_102519.jpg 20160506_102443.jpg 20160506_102450.jpg

What are your thoughts on it? I have to admit to being a tiny bit underwhelmed. Maybe it's because of the weather outside? Or because of the fact that it's opaque (like Greg and Chrono said earlier), or just because I've been waiting a paraiba for too long :wall: ?

Part of me thinks that my underwhelmed feeling is because it kind of reminds me of a gem silica. Not that I have any problem with that material, I LOVE it, but it's much less expensive so it feels silly to keep a paraiba that is a gem silica look-alike. Obviously it's more blue than the gem silica I've had, but I will say it has that "feel".

I'm interested to hear your opinions though--maybe I should wait until the sun comes out to re-think? Also the vendor sent me some small rainbow moonstones (teeny tiny ones) to "play with" for free, which is so nice of her! She's been amazing so I feel like returning it is so mean and ungrateful of me.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I understand your hesitation to return it. But you don't like it, and for good reason. Return it and get something else.

Waiting for the sun to come out seems to be an attempt to prolong the inevitable. A good Paraiba would glow on an overcast day.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ Agreed.

And, while it is nice (and I appreciate) when a vendor throws in a freebie, it doesn't stop me from carefully evaluating the item I actually purchased... and if I decide to return, of course the freebie goes in the return package too.

Good vendors know that gemstones need to be seen in person before a purchaser can judge whether it is a keeper, and part of being an amazing vendor is also being professional, so I'm sure your vendor will respect your decision should you choose to return the Paraiba.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1462567011|4028239 said:
I understand your hesitation to return it. But you don't like it, and for good reason. Return it and get something else.

Waiting for the sun to come out seems to be an attempt to prolong the inevitable. A good Paraiba would glow on an overcast day.

Greg, you have some gorgeous stones and seem to know the material well. Was your "red flag" for this stone the fact that it's opaque? I guess I'm kind of confused because Limosun mentioned hers being opaque, but (at least in pics) I feel like it still has the "glow" factor. So is it all about the opaque-ness, or that plus other factors? Just want to be more informed if/when I see another paraiba that is a contender.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It shows a lovely color and looks good on your hand. But as you seem to hesitate, I would return it. It never hurts to review it in different lighting conditions, but when the glow and love isn't there than back it goes (with the freebies). Don't keep it because the vendor is a nice person...

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
lovedogs|1462568597|4028247 said:
GregS|1462567011|4028239 said:

I
Greg, you have some gorgeous stones and seem to know the material well. Was your "red flag" for this stone the fact that it's opaque? I guess I'm kind of confused because Limosun mentioned hers being opaque, but (at least in pics) I feel like it still has the "glow" factor. So is it all about the opaque-ness, or that plus other factors? Just want to be more informed if/when I see another paraiba that is a contender.
I was interested in this same stone until I studied the pictures and saw that it was opaque. It has nice color but it's lack of translucency robs it of the glow that I think you're after. This same seller has a stunning pair of pears. I can say with little doubt those would have the look that you're after, but they're also 4 times the price.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm going to be deadly honest here lovedog with the intent of hoping to help you so please bear with me.

I think you're being too influenced by people's opinions on here. That not a bad thing per se but I think it can get taken too far. I think (and I so could be way off, I apologise now if I am) if people here tell you it's lovely and it glows... you'd love it. The fact that a few of us have pointed out the 'flaws' (they aren't really) here seemed to have played on your mind, since it was first mentioned hence I see your hesitation. I just think YOU chose the stone, you saw it and liked it (opaqueness and all) and your last comment about lilosum stone being opaque but glowey... I feel like you're getting confused with what YOU like with your own eye and all the 'advice' everyone can give to you.

Are you sure you know exactly what you don't like about this stone? Is it the opaqueness and gem silica thing? Do you think it glows?

Do you think had everyone said it's a beautiful stone.... you would still be having these reservations right now? (You don't have to answer these questions btw just maybe something for you to think about).

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel terrible because I may have misled you.

It's my one and only cab so I have nothing to compare it to IRL. I just took mine out and it is very different than what I see in your pictures and probably isn't truly opaque. While it isn't as translucent as some of the cabs I've seen here, it does not totally block the light...if I hold it up, it's more like looking through frosted glass.....and yes, even indoors it has a subtle glow (it's just not in your face). It is totally different than my gem silica (which was sold to me as semi-translucent yet I think its really opaque). fwiw - I think mine is also a little bit more Caribbean blue than what I see in your pictures.

I see so many beautiful stones on PS, I tend to downplay some of my piece. But mochiko's recent post about her paraiba had me thinking because her thoughts reflected how I felt about my cab...underwhelmed at first because it didn't pop like my little faceted ones but I bought it because it wasn't expensive for a paraiba and it went great with the hauynite camellia setting. But I have grew to appreciate it on its own...and other people seem to pick it out all the time. Sometimes my stones are probably nicer than I give them credit for and I need to stop comparing them to pictures I see here.

As others have said - if you don't love it, you should not keep it. There are too many pretty stones out there.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1462581884|4028352 said:
I feel terrible because I may have misled you.

It's my one and only cab so I have nothing to compare it to IRL. I just took mine out and it is very different than what I see in your pictures and probably isn't truly opaque. While it isn't as translucent as some of the cabs I've seen here, it does not totally block the light...if I hold it up, it's more like looking through frosted glass.....and yes, even indoors it has a subtle glow (it's just not in your face). It is totally different than my gem silica (which was sold to me as semi-translucent yet I think its really opaque). fwiw - I think mine is also a little bit more Caribbean blue than what I see in your pictures.

I see so many beautiful stones on PS, I tend to downplay some of my piece. But mochiko's recent post about her paraiba had me thinking because her thoughts reflected how I felt about my cab...underwhelmed at first because it didn't pop like my little faceted ones but I bought it because it wasn't expensive for a paraiba and it went great with the hauynite camellia setting. But I have grew to appreciate it on its own...and other people seem to pick it out all the time. Sometimes my stones are probably nicer than I give them credit for and I need to stop comparing them to pictures I see here.

As others have said - if you don't love it, you should not keep it. There are too many pretty stones out there.

lilmosun, I feel less weird now because we had similar experience with our paraiba cabs. Mine is included, but translucent/transparent and not opaque. Learning to appreciate my paraiba cab was a bit of a slow burn for me. I've had the ring for a little over a week now and I LOVE my ring. You're right, the faceted stones can be more flashy and attention-grabbing at first due to the extra scintillation, but now all I notice how bright and glowy the cab is for me even in muted lighting.

lovedogs, I'm sorry you feel underwhelmed with the stone. It looks like a nice color but I suspect the opacity may hinder the glow that you may have expected? Given the price of paraiba, I guess the question I would pose is the same as what others have said, do you love the stone? If not, send it back and keep looking. Good luck with your decision. :wavey:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Limosun and Mochiko for chiming in about your paraiba cab experiences, it's definitely very helpful! I do think that after studying pictures of both of your stones vs mine I 100% see a difference in how opaque they are. Mine appears to be COMPLETELY opaque (which I realize now will make the "glow" nonexistent), whereas yours are semi-opaque/at least mostly translucent so definitely still have the "glow".

I pretty much knew the minute I opened the package that the right thing to do would be return it, since I didnt LOVE it. I think my posting here was mostly to double check that I haven't gone insane with my expectations and that I'm not making a horrible decision :wall:

Theredspinel I appreciate the honesty and think you've brought up good points. But I will say that the potential lack of "glow" is one of the reasons I hesitated to buy this stone originally, so is isn't something I was unaware of. I certainly didnt make the opaque-->no glow connection until people here said it, so that part was new to me, but I knew when I purchased that the risk of it not glowing was a factor. Also, I wasn't going to mention any of the hesitation/thoughts of cancelling until a PSer asked about ring progress here. I felt guilty about having second thoughts and didn't want to make a "thing" of it, but of course when asked I wanted to be honest. I do agree that it's easy to get overly influenced by others, and it's entirely possible that seeing all of the amazing paraiba rings on PS has made me overly picky (but simultaneously COVETING one), but I'd like to think that even if everyone said KEEP THIS STONE, I'd still feel in my heart that it should go back.

I need to just "woman up" and write the vendor I think :oops: :oops:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you lovedogs, but if you don't feel the "love" the right thing is to send it back. Although I vacillated about my paraiba cab, it always glowed which is why I decided to keep it. Even in dark dreary lighting when it's been raining (and raining, and did I mention raining??!!)- it still glows. Perhaps with the big Vegas show coming up ask Yvonne to look for something for you?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh lovedog if you know in your heart the right thing to do then
..that's always the right thing whatever it may be! I'm just really glad the decision is true to yourself because I'd hate to see you (or anyone) make a decision that was heavily based on others comments rather then their own heart.

Anyway, don't worry I just know you'll find your ideal stone soon! Now you've actually had a good look at 1 you're much more knowledgeable so there's the silver lining in this experience :)

You sound so sweet and genuine so don't worry about disappointing the vendor I'm sure they will understand... This is just one of those things that happens. (P's I'm glad you did write here about your thoughts and reservations so you can have some support and not ponder it all on your own)!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I think you are making the right decision and hope you find one you love.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LisaRN|1462642946|4028660 said:
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I think you are making the right decision and hope you find one you love.
+1

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results