shape
carat
color
clarity

Palladium band with a Platinum E-ring??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
So I found a platinum wedding band that I adore but it''s just too expensive for us. The jewelry store will custom make a replica in palladium for me which knocks the price down by 25-30% into a more reasonable range. I''d be wearing it with my 1930''s antique platinum engagement ring.
So I was wondering if the experts here have anything to say about palladium versus platinum or about wearing the two right next to each other?

The wedding band is a pretty nice hunk of metal too. It''s at least around 4mm which is twice the width of the shank of my ering. It''s higher than the shank on my ering by a fair bit too, but since the sides/walls of the ring slope inwards a bit it matches perfectly with how the setting of my diamond flares outward from the ering so there''s no gap or rubbing. This means that the top, or surface of the ring that faces you, is narrower than the surface that touches your skin. The top of the ring has discreet millgraining defining the edges and fine engraving between the milgraining. It''s really unusual, I''ve never ever seen anything like it.
30.gif

I sort of suspect the original is a man''s wedding band since it''s at least a size nine. It''s modern and sleek yet vintage enough to work with my antique e-ring. (which is on the sleek side of artdeco anyway).

Oh, and for those of you from the BIW section who remember me bemoaning how hard it''d be to find a narrow-ish red-gold band for my fi? Well we''re getting this 14k and titanium band for him:

Bands57.jpg
It''s not as orangy in real life, more of a true red gold color.
9.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, maybe I put this in the wrong section?

Well, I''m a few hours away from ordering a palladium band rather than a platinum one, so if this is a horrible idea for some reason please speak up soon!
35.gif

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Indie,

I''ve also wondered if you can wear palladium and platinum next to each other since they are related metals. Maybe if you post this is one of the other sections, we might get an expert answer.
4.gif

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
The thing I''d be worried about is the two rings not matching very well. As you probably know, palladium is slightly whiter than platinum so if you put the band and e-ring next to each other you may have two slightly different colored rings. They also will probably wear differently over time, with the palladium one developing a stronger patena. You take a platinum and palladium ring and look at the seperately and you won''t see a difference, but when you put them next to each other you might. If I were you I''d want to se what a palladium band looks like next to your e-ring before you go ahead and order one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results