shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha sapphire

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Someone suggested when I posted a pic in the sticky thread that I start one under here so am doing that.

Just brought home a bit of a special purchase.

Having got pretty sick of my various stock and bond investments inevitably tank I decided to invest in gemstones instead so I can actually enjoy my savings every day. This was a purchase with a legacy to remind me of my father who passed away this summer - and hopefully something I can keep for the long term.

my jeweller looked for a good while before he found a padparadscha within my budget which suited but I think he did a good job.

This stone has been gently heated but is without any other enhancement. At this size an unheated padparadscha of equivalent colour, clarity and cut would have been astronomically expensive so it was a compromise I was willing to make.

The stone is 6.04 carat, natural corundum certified as padparadscha variety in light orangey pink. It has been set in white gold with a rose gold "basket" underlying the stone to make the most of the colour of the sapphire. The setting has been designed to allow light into the sides whilst closing a slight window in the stone. Like most sapphires of this rare colour the cut was designed to maximise weight although it was by far the best of the ones I looked at without the common "fat belly". The stone also evidenced a smaller table than usual which offset the slight windowing and maximised brilliance.

The colour changes very markedly depending on the light. The best colour appears under incandescent lighting or at the end of the day where the pinkish highlights are picked up. Under flourescent lighting (which has bluish overtones) it appears much lighter, almost a peachy champagne colour.

For those interested the price per carat, prior to "friends and family" discount, was USD 4500. This was sourced direct from the cutter by a jeweller in the Middle East where I live so is free from tax and has minimal Intermediary mark up.

_34709.jpg

_34710.jpg

_34711.jpg

_34712.jpg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry about the pic quality btw I took all these will my phone camera.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so feminine! it's peach color is gorgeous.. I have come to love colored stones because of pricescope!

:love: :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!

Just, wow!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Couple more pics to show the differences in colour depending on light.

_34714.jpg

_34715.jpg

_34716.jpg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
My fav pic

_34717.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely!

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Elegant and beautiful! :love:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. I love it!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
A beauty :love:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so beautiful. I imagine you have been admiring it a lot! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful! I am sorry for the loss of your father, and I hope this treasure will stay with you always :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning ring! A gorgeous colour and a classic heirloom ring. Enjoy wearing this beauty!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Such a beautiful color! Stunning ring! :appl: I enjoyed hearing your story. Thank you for sharing. I'm very sorry for your loss.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your pad is gorgeous. It is such a beautiful color.

Sorry for your loss.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry about your father.

Gorgeous peach color, it's lovely!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about your Dad, it's a really beautiful ring!!!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry to hear about your dad. This ring that you had made provides a great memento in honor of him. Beautiful ring that looks perfect on you.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep coming back to look at your ring. Love the different delicate colors that the gemstone shows, and its different personalities. Enjoy it in your father's honor.

LydiaLY

Rough_Rock
Oh my! It's sooooo pretty! :drool:

QuantumStuff

Rough_Rock
That's a beautiful stone. What certification did they issue you to prove it is a padparadscha?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
It's certified by both IGI and IDL as a "pinkish orange natural corundum, padparadscha variety" treatment "thermal enhancement only". I'm European but live in the middle east and both are viewed as more stringent than EGL over here. You rarely see AGL reports in this part of the world. which is perhaps understandable given we are about as far from the USA as you can get on the planet!

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow I need this in my life! The color is perfect for me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results