shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha Sapphire Search Round 2

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
MASSIVELY overpriced. Massively.

The 2.31 is Ok but windowed and the lighting looks suspicious to me.

Awaiting more pics atm. What do you think would be a more reasonable price for this one?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce @Rfisher @icy_jade How are the latest two options?
My only imput I can give is that id absolutely dismiss any photos as accurate on a dark background like the 2.31 is.

your goal of a more saturated version of your ring, eyeclean, and tolerant of a window that may close up, if the 2.03 fits the eyeclean, I’d ask for back of the hand/ white v holder thingy pics.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Both passable but not loving either stone. It could be the windows. The window is smaller on the cushion and night close on the hand, but for that price I'd be expecting something perfect, which is not.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Not great and overpriced. Skip

Not feeling this 2.03. Maybe is the window. Possibly the uneven color. Skip

Oh wow, is the 2.31ct's color that bad to you?

My only imput I can give is that id absolutely dismiss any photos as accurate on a dark background like the 2.31 is.

your goal of a more saturated version of your ring, eyeclean, and tolerant of a window that may close up, if the 2.03 fits the eyeclean, I’d ask for back of the hand/ white v holder thingy pics.

Ahhh I see. I've already asked for more pics; we'll see how the 2.03ct looks in more natural lighting on a hand/white background
Both passable but not loving either stone. It could be the windows. The window is smaller on the cushion and night close on the hand, but for that price I'd be expecting something perfect, which is not.
Ohhh I see. Do you think there's a price range I should try to negotiate down to

voce

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, is the 2.31ct's color that bad to you?

Ahhh I see. I've already asked for more pics; we'll see how the 2.03ct looks in more natural lighting on a hand/white background

Ohhh I see. Do you think there's a price range I should try to negotiate down to

I've not actually bought pads (they wouldn't look great against my skin tone), but I'd think the 2.31 might be worth around 7.5k... Which might be difficult to negotiate it down to that level if the seller is clearly expecting to get five digits USD for it.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I've not actually bought pads (they wouldn't look great against my skin tone), but I'd think the 2.31 might be worth around 7.5k... Which might be difficult to negotiate it down to that level if the seller is clearly expecting to get five digits USD for it.

ahhhh I see. Well.... I guess we'll see how negotiations go.

What about this 3ct pad?

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Lilith, we never asked you but what is your timeline like? I think this stone is meant to go into a wedding necklace right? When would that be?

Because we are happy to help you look patiently until you find the perfect stone (sorry but I think all the recent ones you posted are not ideal and the last 3ct one has a off-centre cutlet). But if you have a cut-off date, maybe some compromises will have to be made, and windows or bow-ties are acceptable.

I am actually really lenient about windows in pendant stones because I think it’s more important to have a large face-up size. Also, you can use a closed back in a pendant setting. It’s different for rings.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Lilith, we never asked you but what is your timeline like? I think this stone is meant to go into a wedding necklace right? When would that be?

Because we are happy to help you look patiently until you find the perfect stone (sorry but I think all the recent ones you posted are not ideal and the last 3ct one has a off-centre cutlet). But if you have a cut-off date, maybe some compromises will have to be made, and windows or bow-ties are acceptable.

I am actually really lenient about windows in pendant stones because I think it’s more important to have a large face-up size. Also, you can use a closed back in a pendant setting. It’s different for rings.

No rush for me! I can't get married until next year at earliest anyways, and yes, it would be for a necklace :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
The video on the 2.31 looks better than the still photo and gives me hope the window will close when set. So that one comes down to negotiating the price, I guess. The 3 ct one looks much the same coloring as the 2.03, but is a more difficult shape for your pendant and is similarly windowed. Those windows are too large for me to overlook.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@peacechick @icy_jade @voce @Rfisher I just got sent this video for a 2ct pad, USD9000. Awaiting more videos/pics (vendor says he'll send them tomorrow), but do you guys think this one has a shot? How does it compare to the 2.31ct one?

I quite like it. Nicely saturated color. Better than the 2.03, 2.31 ct and 3ct. Still think it’s pricey but then again maybe I’m just out of touch with pad prices

voce

Ideal_Rock
@peacechick @icy_jade @voce @Rfisher I just got sent this video for a 2ct pad, USD9000. Awaiting more videos/pics (vendor says he'll send them tomorrow), but do you guys think this one has a shot? How does it compare to the 2.31ct one?

Now this is the kind of color that makes me go :love: because it's much more balanced between the pink and the orange. I do notice when the vendor flips the gem over that there's a couple of inclusions on the pavillion (close to top tweezer when the bottom of the gem is visible), and that is something that wouldn't bother me personally, just as long as it's not affecting the face up view, but since nobody else has mentioned it so far, I thought I would.

Honestly, @icy_jade scoffs at a lot of the prices on CS. I think this is because as someone who lives closer to the wholesale gem markets in Asia, and has access to great vendors, she has access to better prices, which are not necessarily realistic in other parts of the world for a retail consumer.

For Shanghai, I'd consider 9k USD a tad too high and would try to negotiate it down to 8k, or maybe even lower (which I think is quite possible due to the inclusions in the pavilion).

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I quite like it. Nicely saturated color. Better than the 2.03, 2.31 ct and 3ct. Still think it’s pricey but then again maybe I’m just out of touch with pad prices

Fingers crossed it looks nice in the requested pictures as well :3

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Now this is the kind of color that makes me go :love: because it's much more balanced between the pink and the orange. I do notice when the vendor flips the gem over that there's a couple of inclusions on the pavillion (close to top tweezer when the bottom of the gem is visible), and that is something that wouldn't bother me personally, just as long as it's not affecting the face up view, but since nobody else has mentioned it so far, I thought I would.

For Shanghai, I'd consider 9k USD a tad too high and would try to negotiate it down to 8k, or maybe even lower (which I think is quite possible due to the inclusions in the pavilion).

Ooooooh thank u for pointing that out! I went back and took a look, and the pavillion inclusions jumped out this time. Asking vendor abt it now- thank you for the tip off!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, @icy_jade scoffs at a lot of the prices on CS. I think this is because as someone who lives closer to the wholesale gem markets in Asia, and has access to great vendors, she has access to better prices, which are not necessarily realistic in other parts of the world for a retail consumer.

Believe it or not, I already try not to comment on prices in the forum unless the price is super duper bad... in this case I actually tried to stay away until @Lilith112 tagged me :???:

yaygems

Rough_Rock

I agree with this, also think the price is a little high and I would try to negotiate lower with the inclusions. $4000ct is better, $3,500ct or lower if you can. But the colour is definitely a premium and hard to find especially with covid so they have certainly priced it because of that. Is it heated?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I agree with this, also think the price is a little high and I would try to negotiate lower with the inclusions. $4000ct is better, $3,500ct or lower if you can. But the colour is definitely a premium and hard to find especially with covid so they have certainly priced it because of that. Is it heated?

FWIW I think @Lilith112 is only looking at unheated? I think heated should be even cheaper, but to me it doesn't have an obvious "heated" look to it. Also, given the inclusions, I think it's more likely the vendor would not have heated the gem, as inclusions when heated can cause fractures.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Believe it or not, I already try not to comment on prices in the forum unless the price is super duper bad... in this case I actually tried to stay away until @Lilith112 tagged me :???:

True, I think. You are very well-behaved in not calling out how inflated prices are once they cross the Pacific. :razz: I would love to be able to walk into a store where I live and have these gorgeous settings ready for my CS, or have a lab and vendors that carry unheated sapphires of considerable size in stock. I guess I could go to Rodeo Drive, if I wanted to see the jewelry, but I'm too frugal to pay Rodeo Drive designer mark up. My partner is not supportive of my bling obsessions, and it is true that I have more gems to set and move rings than can fit on my fingers.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
gorgeous settings ready for my CS

Actually can use eBay for that. Prices are fairly comparable. I think quite a few PS-ers already use those sellers

I'm too frugal to pay Rodeo Drive designer mark up

Exactly, that’s why I hunt for decent prices. Bigger gems for the same price yo. And bigger halos on the rings too

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results