shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha journey

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Wriston just sent me this-- 1.49ct, Mada, round brilliant, 2800SGD:

WeChat Image_20191210135437.jpg WeChat Image_20191210135440.jpg WeChat Image_20191210140431.jpg

This is quite tempting! Fits into my budget and that color- so saturated! @icy_jade what do you think, especially based on your familiarity with his picture quality lol?

Another vendor sent me this one- 1.11ct, RMB8600:

WeChat Image_20191210140433.jpg WeChat Image_20191210140428.jpg

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
WeChat Image_20191210140431.jpg

If it looks nice in his pic I think it shouldn’t look too bad irl... since based on past history his pics aren’t the most flattering.

Comparison with pics I’ve taken of the pad ring in his store (upper right and bottom left) and natural light (bottom right)
6E24E02F-CFE2-43E9-9187-4BB12C2E6DBC.jpeg

But it does have a small window (but as @mellowyellowgirl has shown for her spinel it can be minimized after setting) and I’m unsure re color stability.

He did say the local lab will no longer do the color stability test so will that bother you? Fwiw he’s always insisted that the color change for pads and yellows is well known in the trade and reversible (ie not a big deal) and not a concern if the stone is worn often (vs being kept in the safe). I don’t recall the other stones that you’ve seen been promised color stability so maybe that factor is equal for every stone.

M probably not popping by this week so @qubitasaurus @YC in case they are popping by and can help you look.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
WeChat Image_20191210140431.jpg

If it looks nice in his pic I think it shouldn’t look too bad irl... since based on past history his pics aren’t the most flattering.

Comparison with pics I’ve taken of the pad ring in his store (upper right and bottom left) and natural light (bottom right)
6E24E02F-CFE2-43E9-9187-4BB12C2E6DBC.jpeg

But it does have a small window (but as @mellowyellowgirl has shown for her spinel it can be minimized after setting) and I’m unsure re color stability.

He did say the local lab will no longer do the color stability test so will that bother you? Fwiw he’s always insisted that the color change for pads and yellows is well known in the trade and reversible (ie not a big deal) and not a concern if the stone is worn often (vs being kept in the safe). I don’t recall the other stones that you’ve seen been promised color stability so maybe that factor is equal for every stone.

M probably not popping by this week so @qubitasaurus @YC in case they are popping by and can help you look.

I discussed color stability with him and it should be fine, especially since I'd be wearing it pretty frequently.

Regarding color, my concern is whether or not there's noticeable brown or lavendar mixed in as is often the case w/orange leaning pads. Also the color looks almost a bit harsh? If @qubitasaurus @YC have plans to swing by, would be wonderful to hear your thoughts!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Can you ask Wriston to put it in a ringholder and take some pics and video in diff lighting?
- If natural light - tell him the bushes near the taxi stand area
- If fluorescent light - near the shops inside the mall

These are the places I typically go to see his stones before I buy

If I happen to pop by I’ll take pics for you but no promises cos work is horrid and I’m also sick this week.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Can you ask Wriston to put it in a ringholder and take some pics and video in diff lighting?
- If natural light - tell him the bushes near the taxi stand area
- If fluorescent light - near the shops inside the mall

These are the places I typically go to see his stones before I buy

If I happen to pop by I’ll take pics for you but no promises cos work is horrid and I’m also sick this week.

Definitely! I've already asked for natural outdoor daylight photo; will remember to add in details lol.

Oh if you happen to drop by, that would be great but no pressure! Hope you feel better soon!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Natural light picture:

1576031480154.png

Reactions: AV_

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I discussed color stability with him and it should be fine, especially since I'd be wearing it pretty frequently.

Regarding color, my concern is whether or not there's noticeable brown or lavendar mixed in as is often the case w/orange leaning pads. Also the color looks almost a bit harsh? If @qubitasaurus @YC have plans to swing by, would be wonderful to hear your thoughts!

It sounds like you are in good hands!

I cant drop by unfortunately as I am in Perth (and not coming back to singapore until next year). But I'll be sitting here watching all the pretty pictures and living through the adventure vicariously! I liked the last round, but would be curious what it looks like on the back of your hand out doors in the sun, in the shopping centre lighting and in the shade.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I took a while to respond. I was away on a long holiday (during which I was too busy and tired to look at PS) and had just returned. @Lilith112 , I can go to Wriston's (have not decided when exactly) and take a look at the stones plus more photos. However, I have not looked at many pad and so am not very familiar with the nuances of pad colour.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I took a while to respond. I was away on a long holiday (during which I was too busy and tired to look at PS) and had just returned. @Lilith112 , I can go to Wriston's (have not decided when exactly) and take a look at the stones plus more photos. However, I have not looked at many pad and so am not very familiar with the nuances of pad colour.

If you could, that would be wonderful, thank you so much! I'd love to hear what you think about it overall, but especially it's sparkliness, pink-orange ratio, and whether or not there's any brown/lavender mixed in :D Thank you!!

@qubitasaurus how is Perth this time of year? Just to double check, it's summer over there?

Last edited:

YC

Brilliant_Rock
I saw both pad. Please ignore the pink spinel ring (mine) on the photos.
I felt that the round pad was a bit more saturated of the two (which I preferred but it is Madagascar, not Sri Lankan) and Wriston assured that the oval is THE Sri Lankan pad colour with correct balance of orange and pink. I must admit that I am not familiar with pad colours.
Both had small windows but I felt that both stones are still blingy enough (whether you can accept the window will depend on your level of tolerance).
The round had some inclusions on the side. I did not inspect the oval closely for inclusions.

20191212_154502.jpg

Last edited:

YC

Brilliant_Rock
I had difficulties attaching video clips.
I personally feel that you should assess the stones IRL since you will be coming to SG.
The colour of the stones kind of blend into my skin tone (good for my wallet, I guess).

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I had difficulties attaching video clips.
I personally feel that you should assess the stones IRL since you will be coming to SG.
The colour of the stones kind of blend into my skin tone (good for my wallet, I guess).

Thank you so much for helping me check out the padparadschas!! I will be going to take a look, but the earliest I can schedule for is around Christmas unfortunately :( Correct if I'm wrong, but is the round a tad more pinky than the smaller oval? It seems that way in the pics, but I'm curious about what you think.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for helping me check out the padparadschas!! I will be going to take a look, but the earliest I can schedule for is around Christmas unfortunately :( Correct if I'm wrong, but is the round a tad more pinky than the smaller oval? It seems that way in the pics, but I'm curious about what you think.

The round is orange-pink but to my untrained eye, I can't quite tell if it is more orange or more pink. I liked its colour a bit more. The colour of the oval looked (to me) less intense and even a tad brownish when placed next to the round but I was told it is THE pad colour. :confused:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The round is orange-pink but to my untrained eye, I can't quite tell if it is more orange or more pink. I liked its colour a bit more. The colour of the oval looked (to me) less intense and even a tad brownish when placed next to the round but I was told it is THE pad colour. :confused:

You've confirmed what I saw YC! I too thought the oval was brownish!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Looking/reading through all this I'm running into full hard drive, memory overflow. Is this still fun for the OP?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you could, that would be wonderful, thank you so much! I'd love to hear what you think about it overall, but especially it's sparkliness, pink-orange ratio, and whether or not there's any brown/lavender mixed in :D Thank you!!

@qubitasaurus how is Perth this time of year? Just to double check, it's summer over there?

It is really pretty! So hot though. This was the afterglow from this evening's sunset. 20191212_194516.jpg

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock

Ohhhh I see! Yeah, Winston did say the oval pad is less saturated, but it might also be a bit more brown-y since it has more orange? That seems to happen a lot w/orange-leaning pads :/

You've confirmed what I saw YC! I too thought the oval was brownish!

Any thoughts/comments from our resident saturated pad lover? :D

Looking/reading through all this I'm running into full hard drive, memory overflow. Is this still fun for the OP?

LOL it still is! I enjoy the hunt, long and tiring it is. Another seller I've been chatting with has a trip to Thailant for the 17th, so I'm still quite excited!

It is really pretty! So hot though. This was the afterglow from this evening's sunset. 20191212_194516.jpg

Oh wow...now if I could have a gemstone with all those colors, that would be amazing XD

YC

Brilliant_Rock

YC

Brilliant_Rock
@Lilith112 , I just managed to post a video! But for some reason, youtube seems to lower the resolution of the video so it is less clear than what I see on my HP.
I did not know the more orange pads can look brownish. With this new knowledge and on reviewing the video again, it seems that the round is probably slightly more pinkish. I am partial to pinks so that probably explains my preference.

Last edited:

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Another video in the shade

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Lilith112 , I just managed to post a video! But for some reason, youtube seems to lower the resolution of the video so it is less clear than what I see on my HP.
I did not know the more orange pads can look brownish. With this new knowledge and on reviewing the video again, it seems that the round is probably slightly more pinkish. I am partial to pinks so that probably explains my preference.

I see brown in both pads, and to me your pink spinel has some orange in it and far outshines either pad sapphire there.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Which pic or video is the most color accurate? Your hand looks darker/more brown than I remember. (Just relooked and actually your hand looks different in all the pics)

@Lilith112 You really do like pad colors? Maybe a bit late to ask but same like @YC pads aren’t flattering on my skin. Do you usually wear pastel colors?

YC

Brilliant_Rock
@icy_jade , I chose photos to best reflect the differences in the colours that I see in the 2 pad. Think the first video is probably the more accurate of the two as it was taken in the direct sunlight.

@Lilith112 , what @icy_jade says is true. The pads are not flattering on me. I love the halo of the oval ring - I did not know that rose cut diamonds can be so pretty! But alas, the centre stone kind of blended into my skin colour.

@voce - You have a very good eye for colours. My pink spinel has indeed a hint of orange in it. Mahenge origin and I love the intense colour.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
@YC thank you for taking videos and your observations! Regarding the pad color, I think it's fairly flattering on me as long as the color leans a bit warm. I did find one in Sg, but it's a bit big (2.54ct, page 11/12).

@icy_jade I do wear lots of pastels! Pastels and lighter colors in general so pads can work, especially in winter when I turn ghostly lol

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@Lilith112 , in a few years time, you will probably not consider 2.54 ct to be too large

Hahaha speaking from personal experience right?

But true that. A bit of a waste to get smaller stones and then to feel like upgrading later. Since setting the stone is pretty much fixed cost anyway.

Anyway am likely to pop by Wriston’s later coz am in the area. If my appt finishes earlier I’ll take some pics and post here

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
6951CF16-6674-4D5F-8786-A97C0488620A.jpeg B00370A2-03E8-443E-A089-F816A7A04C28.jpeg 7E133483-3D50-4EC5-80F1-B493D6ACAA8A.jpeg
0987F807-0622-468E-91C0-D4BA4BA9840F.jpeg DAD07866-13A8-4AF0-BA33-4CD51E49D7F6.jpeg

Ok some pics. Took vids but I load later.

No brown irl. I looked a long time. But many of the pics I took are either orangey (not posted) or the color is just off. Irl the tourmaline is just pink but in some of the pics it looks orangey pink. So yeah need to see irl

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results