shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha journey

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
@lovedogs @mellowyellowgirl I think w/pads, you really can't put too much stock into the color certification lol.

Preetty! Just maybe a bit too big? My setting plans have changed a bunch since I first started thinking about getting a pad, but I've mostly settled on a delicate band in rose gold for my pinky finger :D

Reactions: AV_

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
So the seller that I bought my cornflower sapphire is at the HK Expo, and just sent some pics & videos to me:

Unheated, 1.08 pad with Sri Lankan origin
upload_2019-9-18_15-18-35.png
pad_karina.jpg
And another one:

upload_2019-9-18_15-19-21.png
pinkpad.jpg

What do you guys think? All pics taken in indoor lighting

Attachments

• pad_karina.jpg
    pad_karina.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 38
  • upload_2019-9-18_15-16-46.png
    upload_2019-9-18_15-16-46.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 36
  • upload_2019-9-18_15-17-4.png
    upload_2019-9-18_15-17-4.png
    220.2 KB · Views: 36

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Get natural light pics!

The first looks promising! The cut looks decent too.The second is too purple for me.

I asked the vendor and she says the seller won't let her leave :/ Says it's about 60% orange and 40% pink, and is going for HKD18,000 for 1.08ct. unheated Sri Lankan pad.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked the vendor and she says the seller won't let her leave :/ Says it's about 60% orange and 40% pink, and is going for HKD18,000 for 1.08ct. unheated Sri Lankan pad.

Can you get additional and clearer pics?

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Can you get additional and clearer pics?

True, more zoomed in pics. She says in person, it's very sparkly.

I like the 1.08ct, I'm just unsure if it's worth overUSD2000. :/ I guess I'm just unsure if the quality matches the pricetag.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, more zoomed in pics. She says in person, it's very sparkly.

I like the 1.08ct, I'm just unsure if it's worth overUSD2000. :/ I guess I'm just unsure if the quality matches the pricetag.

How does it stack up to other stones you have looked at?

Have you tried Gemfix? I always find his cutting so pretty!

Not necessarily recommending this stone but here is another for you to look at and compare prices. carat weight etc

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...Sapphire_2_28_carat_VIDEO_-Gem.php?FromPage=1

It's hard isn't it!?

You've made me want to set my weeny one though! It is tiny but it holds its colour under most lights.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
How does it stack up to other stones you have looked at?

Have you tried Gemfix? I always find his cutting so pretty!

Not necessarily recommending this stone but here is another for you to look at and compare prices. carat weight etc

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...Sapphire_2_28_carat_VIDEO_-Gem.php?FromPage=1

It's hard isn't it!?

You've made me want to set my weeny one though! It is tiny but it holds its colour under most lights.

Hmm... the color's not really to my liking, it's a bit too peach for my liking? I think so far, this 1.08ct is my fav...the color seems to hold up pretty well even w/flash and white light on.

She sent over more photos that she took with flash and white light on:

WeChat Image_20190918171905.jpg WeChat Image_20190918171909.jpg WeChat Image_20190918171913.jpg whitelight.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has it got a legit report?

Sorry got so excited forgot to mention this. At those prices I think you need a report from somewhere reputable.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Has it got a legit report?

Sorry got so excited forgot to mention this. At those prices I think you need a report from somewhere reputable.

No problem! My contact is actually going outside w/the seller so she can snap some outdoors, natural light pics. If I do pick it, I'll definitely ask to see the certificate in advance. :)

I believe it's 6.4mm long. I don't normally go for ovals...but the color's quite appealing. It doesn't seem to have any purple or brown?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the color looks great! I’d be in if it had a reputable cert.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Does it have the half extinction effect? Seems so in the initial pics.

Ditto re cert. Must state unheated pad from Sri Lanka. I do think it’s a little pricey but then again I don’t usually buy pads...

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Does it have the half extinction effect? Seems so in the initial pics.

Ditto re cert. Must state unheated pad from Sri Lanka. I do think it’s a little pricey but then again I don’t usually buy pads...

True! That does seem to be an issue for elongated shapes....how could I ask the seller about that in a way that would garner a truthful answer lol?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you asked your vendor how she feels her camera is capturing the color accurately?
I sure had a hell of a time capturing pad color.

And ask for pictures without strong direct lighting. That will help show darkened areas that will be apparent in everyday lighting scenarios.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
True! That does seem to be an issue for elongated shapes....how could I ask the seller about that in a way that would garner a truthful answer lol?

Ask a direct question I think lol. Hard to evade. If you try to be tactful it can be misinterpreted?

Unless the seller pretends not to know what extinction is. Then I’ll be even more worried and not buy haha.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
If all else checks out I find $2000 for this stone a good deal.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm... the color's not really to my liking, it's a bit too peach for my liking? I think so far, this 1.08ct is my fav...the color seems to hold up pretty well even w/flash and white light on.

She sent over more photos that she took with flash and white light on:

WeChat Image_20190918171905.jpg WeChat Image_20190918171909.jpg WeChat Image_20190918171913.jpg whitelight.jpg
Now we’re getting somewhere!!! Nice stone!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Have you asked your vendor how she feels her camera is capturing the color accurately?
I sure had a hell of a time capturing pad color.

And ask for pictures without strong direct lighting. That will help show darkened areas that will be apparent in everyday lighting scenarios.

Ask a direct question I think lol. Hard to evade. If you try to be tactful it can be misinterpreted?

Unless the seller pretends not to know what extinction is. Then I’ll be even more worried and not buy haha.

Asking the vendor for these things now! Chit chatting with her about that right now and seeing if she can talk down the price to roughly USD1600. She did say her camera tends to pick up more pink rather than showcase its peachy pink-orange shift.

@T L that's great to hear! I actually saw another promising candidate today...has a noticable window but the color looks promising so far. Waiting on direct sunlight photos for tomorrow.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this last one Sri Lankan?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
. She did say her camera tends to pick up more pink rather than showcase its peachy pink-orange shift.

Good to know in advance.
noticed the same w/ mine.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Is this last one Sri Lankan?
Yep, Sri Lankan :)

Good to know in advance.
noticed the same w/ mine.

Hmm, would you consider that to be an issue? Per the seller, it's 60% orange and 40% balance... there was a 5ct one w/a more ideal color, but the vendor was asking USD7000 per carat for that one o_O

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
think that’s personal preference on ‘ideal’ pink to orange.
I like the unpopular color zoning in pads- so my thoughts wouldn’t be the same as others.
Just mentioned the camera not picking up the orange, so you can discuss it with the vendor and you can be aware.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my experience pad sapphires are super super hard to photograph totally accurately. I still am not totally happy with any of mine! Can they send video? I find I can evaluate cut better with video

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this one! I'd want a cert though.

Reactions: T L

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Time to see it in person?

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Time to see it in person?

I could fly over (just a 2 hr flight to HK for me), but I have work tomorrow...unfortunately :/

So here's the dilemma. The vendor-- who's at the HK Gem Show-- says she can bargain w/the seller tomorrow and see if she can talk the price down to USD1700. However, if this price is accepted, then she-- and by extension-- I-- have to buy it.

I do like it a lot, but there's also a Shanghai-based vendors who seems to have some really nice ones. But I also don't want to let this slip through. So now I can't decide lol.

Pad the other vendor is offering (indoor lighting; color reads as much more saturated on my phone than on the screen):

lisa.jpg

AV_

Ideal_Rock
So here's the dilemma. The vendor-- who's at the HK Gem Show-- says she can bargain w/the seller tomorrow and see if she can talk the price down to USD1700. However, if this price is accepted, then she-- and by extension-- I-- have to buy it.

Then, the Gem Show seller needs to obtain the right to return for you; this service is worth something if anything is. I trust this is quite a customary request.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results