shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha journey

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Wait is that big Chinese celebration thing coming up soon?

Cuz I asked my jeweller about a setting and he said to wait for a bit. Sometimes we confuse each other (Google translate convos only) so I just rolled with it but that makes sense now!

Yeah, 10/1-10/8 is off for all Chinese companies since its 国庆节 :) Unfortunately, can't look at any pads until I'm back in town then.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Oooh what do you think of the spinel? Any setting ideas? I really like her taste-- she found me my current sapphire and was very patient w/my myriad of requirements lol.

Still waiting on natural sunlight pics for the 1.56ct one. It's currently being sent over to Shanghai from Sri Lanka, so I should be able to see it when Chinese Golden Week's over (10/8). Fingers double crossed here!

Also, got in contact w/the seller that has the ideal color 5ct pad from the first page-- she says she has similarly colored ones in smaller sizes, but they're all at GRS being certified right now. So also waiting on that :D
I'll look forward to your pictures of the 1.56ct one. Also, good job getting in touch with the 5ct pad seller. Your pendant design is delicate and beautiful. I just don't know if your jeweler will be able to execute it as delicately as you've drawn it, but that comes down to skill.

About the spinel--I didn't notice the inclusion from her photos, so was shocked to discover a surface-reaching inclusion like that on the corner of the table. However, the spinel grew on me over time, since it's just the perfect color, and from an arm's length away the inclusion isn't really noticeable at all.

Fingers crossed :kiss2:. You're waiting on your pad, I'm waiting on my finished paraiba ring to be listed via Etsy. Hopefully everything goes well for us both!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I'll look forward to your pictures of the 1.56ct one. Also, good job getting in touch with the 5ct pad seller. Your pendant design is delicate and beautiful. I just don't know if your jeweler will be able to execute it as delicately as you've drawn it, but that comes down to skill.

About the spinel--I didn't notice the inclusion from her photos, so was shocked to discover a surface-reaching inclusion like that on the corner of the table. However, the spinel grew on me over time, since it's just the perfect color, and from an arm's length away the inclusion isn't really noticeable at all.

Fingers crossed :kiss2:. You're waiting on your pad, I'm waiting on my finished paraiba ring to be listed via Etsy. Hopefully everything goes well for us both!

I'm really happy to go on break soon, but also very impatient for break to be over so I can see more pictures from the sellers lol. And that's not even accounting for setting time...hopefully, my jeweler is up to the challenge!

Regarding your spinel, I just double checked your thread and realized it's been set already in that beautiful ring-- the color really is magnificent and it just glows! I've been tempted to chat w/her about some of her spinels, esp the cobalt ones she has

Ohh have you already started a thread for your paraiba ring? Could I see the design that you're aiming for? :D

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm really happy to go on break soon, but also very impatient for break to be over so I can see more pictures from the sellers lol. And that's not even accounting for setting time...hopefully, my jeweler is up to the challenge!

Regarding your spinel, I just double checked your thread and realized it's been set already in that beautiful ring-- the color really is magnificent and it just glows! I've been tempted to chat w/her about some of her spinels, esp the cobalt ones she has

Ohh have you already started a thread for your paraiba ring? Could I see the design that you're aiming for? :D
The spinel hasn't been set yet. I've set an unheated ruby in my ring, which is in my avatar now. Maybe I have too many similar looking red stones? I haven't started a thread yet for my paraiba ring that I am waiting for, but I could always start the thread. Just need to dig up the pictures...

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
The spinel hasn't been set yet. I've set an unheated ruby in my ring, which is in my avatar now. Maybe I have too many similar looking red stones? I haven't started a thread yet for my paraiba ring that I am waiting for, but I could always start the thread. Just need to dig up the pictures...

Yes, please do! Would love to see how your paraiba ring turns out :kiss2:

Do you have any setting ideas for the spinel? I must have mistaken it for one of the rubies in your thread; my apologies!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm... the color's not really to my liking, it's a bit too peach for my liking? I think so far, this 1.08ct is my fav...the color seems to hold up pretty well even w/flash and white light on.

She sent over more photos that she took with flash and white light on:

WeChat Image_20190918171905.jpg WeChat Image_20190918171909.jpg WeChat Image_20190918171913.jpg whitelight.jpg
This one is still my favorite of all the stones you’ve shown us in this thread. It’s classic padparadcha color. All the others are too pink, but you may prefer that. JMO. I took the liberty of blowing up one of your photos if it. To me, this is as “padparadcha” as it gets. Love the cut too.

92675EC6-EED3-4BA8-B73E-6EB234FF18E7.jpeg

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yes, please do! Would love to see how your paraiba ring turns out :kiss2:

Do you have any setting ideas for the spinel? I must have mistaken it for one of the rubies in your thread; my apologies!
Okay, it took me a while to find the pictures and post, but the thread is here.

For the spinel, I'd like to set it with lavender sapphires and white diamonds. Red and purple are my favorite colors, and I think in some instances they work well together. icm_fullxfull.195671327_n6q3bpluhiooogc0c0ok.jpg

Yes yes, I have a ring with that color combination already, but it's a semi-eternity and is a more low-key look than red spinel with a halo. I have a lot of loose gems to set, though, and the spinel I enjoy looking at in its gem box, and it's not a priority for now.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
This one is still my favorite of all the stones you’ve shown us in this thread. It’s classic padparadcha color. All the others are too pink, but you may prefer that. JMO. I took the liberty of blowing up one of your photos if it. To me, this is as “padparadcha” as it gets. Love the cut too.

92675EC6-EED3-4BA8-B73E-6EB234FF18E7.jpeg

I waa veeeery tempted by it, but it didn't come w/a cert which I wasn't a fan of despite liking the color as well. Otherwise, would have snatched it up!

Okay, it took me a while to find the pictures and post, but the thread is here.

For the spinel, I'd like to set it with lavender sapphires and white diamonds. Red and purple are my favorite colors, and I think in some instances they work well together. icm_fullxfull.195671327_n6q3bpluhiooogc0c0ok.jpg

Yes yes, I have a ring with that color combination already, but it's a semi-eternity and is a more low-key look than red spinel with a halo. I have a lot of loose gems to set, though, and the spinel I enjoy looking at in its gem box, and it's not a priority for now.

OMG your paraiba ring....so big and glowy! Love the two cool tones and the overall vibe!

Well, too many to set seems like a good problem to have XD I think that combo will be lovely! The lavendar won't compete w/your spinel but they'll stand out :3 In general, are you a fan of halos?

Reactions: T L

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
This one doesn't have an orange shify,.but I like this kind shade for the pink half:

IMG_20190925_090124.jpg

Screenshot_2019-09-25-09-30-35-221_com.tencent.mm.jpg
mmexport1569375045437.jpg

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
In general, are you a fan of halos?
Generally yes, I love halos, but I like variety+versatility even more. This means different shapes and rings not so large, so I don't have to feel blinged out any time I wear a ring. I think my more special stones are deserving of special halos. I forgot to say, I also got a purple spinel in addition to the red spinel from thegemcollector. It's going to be set by Daniel M, with 2.5mm spinel sides.
IMG_20190919_102156279.jpg IMG_20190919_094335977.jpg
Thought of picking green at first, but ultimately my supply of red sidestones was much greater, and I'm perhaps saving the mint garnets for some other project (I only have six).

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Generally yes, I love halos, but I like variety+versatility even more. This means different shapes and rings not so large, so I don't have to feel blinged out any time I wear a ring. I think my more special stones are deserving of special halos. I forgot to say, I also got a purple spinel in addition to the red spinel from thegemcollector. It's going to be set by Daniel M, with 2.5mm spinel sides.
IMG_20190919_102156279.jpg IMG_20190919_094335977.jpg
Thought of picking green at first, but ultimately my supply of red sidestones was much greater, and I'm perhaps saving the mint garnets for some other project (I only have six).

The purple spinel is huge! And very mysterious looking- is it a bit smokey irl or it is my phone screen lol?

FYI received pics for a 1.2ct pad pricrd at 12000rmb. Vendor says irl appearance is most like the cert's picture:

mmexport1569389469364.jpg
mmexport1569389263179.jpg mmexport1569389273471.jpg Screenshot_2019-09-25-13-38-47-988_com.miui.video.jpg Screenshot_2019-09-25-13-38-41-368_com.miui.video.jpg
Is it just me or the cutting's a bit messy? And the pink reads a bit brown

Attachments

• WeChat Image_20190925131829.jpg
    WeChat Image_20190925131829.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 42

voce

Ideal_Rock
The purple spinel is huge! And very mysterious looking- is it a bit smokey irl or it is my phone screen lol?

FYI received pics for a 1.2ct pad pricrd at 12000rmb. Vendor says irl appearance is most like the cert's picture:

mmexport1569389469364.jpg
mmexport1569389263179.jpg mmexport1569389273471.jpg Screenshot_2019-09-25-13-38-47-988_com.miui.video.jpg Screenshot_2019-09-25-13-38-41-368_com.miui.video.jpg
Is it just me or the cutting's a bit messy? And the pink reads a bit brown
I guess it could be described as smokey and mysterious irl. I got it for the size and unique cut. It was very affordable imo, and I'm setting it in silver and not gold.

That pad has stats that look promising, but the face up size is too large (hence window). I would pass and wait for your 1.56 ct instead :mrgreen2:.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I guess it could be described as smokey and mysterious irl. I got it for the size and unique cut. It was very affordable imo, and I'm setting it in silver and not gold.

That pad has stats that look promising, but the face up size is too large (hence window). I would pass and wait for your 1.56 ct instead :mrgreen2:.

True! That and even in the videos, there wasn't really an orange shift which I prefer. Have to wait until at least Oct. 8th then -_-

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
window, window, window. I am baffled how like, what, like 80%(?) of all stones shown here have a hole in the middle. Who is responsible for this? The lapidaries? The bosses of the lapidaries? Or is it sheer lack of know-how in local cutters? Not that I understand how each RI translates to each facet angle (except in theory) but somebody doing this for a living should know, or is that too difficult? BTW, my avatar has NO window, this is only a what'sitcalled, ah, 'tilt-window'.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
window, window, window. I am baffled how like, what, like 80%(?) of all stones shown here have a hole in the middle. Who is responsible for this? The lapidaries? The bosses of the lapidaries? Or is it sheer lack of know-how in local cutters? Not that I understand how each RI translates to each facet angle (except in theory) but somebody doing this for a living should know, or is that too difficult? BTW, my avatar has NO window, this is only a what'sitcalled, ah, 'tilt-window'.

Carat weight. If they cut it without windows, they lose a lot of weight.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Carat weight. If they cut it without windows, they lose a lot of weight.

Plus it's cut to maximize color shifts, hence some (a lot) weird angles and unevenness.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, the less colour shift the better when it comes to most CS. "Holding" colour is a highly desirable trait unless it is a colour changer such as alexandrite, colour change sapphire, colour change garnet, etc.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, the less colour shift the better when it comes to most CS. "Holding" colour is a highly desirable trait unless it is a colour changer such as alexandrite, colour change sapphire, colour change garnet, etc.

Hmm....I'm trying to look for one that holds color but also shifts. I like shifty pads basically :3

Reactions: AV_

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trust me, shifty CS are aplenty.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Trust me, shifty CS are aplenty.

Actually kinda hard to find a nice pad with the right color/saturation that I like that also have very seamless/smooth color shifts lol. A lot I've seen only shift in the center or off to the sides.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually kinda hard to find a nice pad with the right color/saturation that I like that also have very seamless/smooth color shifts lol. A lot I've seen only shift in the center or off to the sides.
Sounds like shadowing, which is usually a function of cut. The shift I was referring to is the entire stone shifting from peachy or a bit more orangy. Not parts of the stone only.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like shadowing, which is usually a function of cut. The shift I was referring to is the entire stone shifting from peachy or a bit more orangy. Not parts of the stone only.

Ah perhaps that is the more accurate term then. Yes, I do prefer different parts of the gem to reflect various, constantly changing colors as the light shifts-- makes it quite mesmerizing to look at :kiss2:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah perhaps that is the more accurate term then. Yes, I do prefer different parts of the gem to reflect various, constantly changing colors as the light shifts-- makes it quite mesmerizing to look at :kiss2:
Absolutely agree. It makes the stone look alive!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely agree. It makes the stone look alive!

Yes, that's what I really want that! That, a softly saturated warm pinky-orangey color, and just a bit of silk :kiss2:

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Just got sent these pics...but it looks more like a pink sapphire?

upload_2019-9-26_14-52-5.png
upload_2019-9-26_14-52-26.png

1.22ct, Sri Lankan origin, round.

The cut work doesn't look back, but I feel like it's 80% pink and only 20% maaaaybe orange. :/ Could just be lighting tho.

Another option is this one-- 1.02ct, RMB9600, Sri Lankan. Vendor says that it's slightly more orange IRL than in pic

批注 2019-09-26 151514.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-26_14-51-4.png
    upload_2019-9-26_14-51-4.png
    354.2 KB · Views: 41
  • upload_2019-9-26_15-16-12.png
    upload_2019-9-26_15-16-12.png
    431.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
1.02ct's certificate:

WeChat Image_20190926154547.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color of the pear but I’m biased cause it reminds me of mine lol. Hard to tell how bad that window is from the one photo though.

voce

Ideal_Rock
The 1.22ct must have lots of gray in it, because the pink doesn't look vivid. I see some orange, but it's definitely not my ideal for a pad.

The 1.02ct is certified by a lab I hadn't heard of before. It has got a fantastic color, but with proper cutting to close that window it would be below 1ct.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I’ll say no to both recent ones. First doesn’t look pad and second has a big window

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results